+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Advice to speed up recovery pre and post op info?  (Read 3410 times)

ZAP

Advice to speed up recovery pre and post op info?
« on: July 27, 2011, 08:55:31 PM »
I'm going to get my my hip done in about 6 months and was wondering if some of you could give me any advice on ANYTHING I can do before and after op that will help me recover.  My PT said we're going to start training 3 months before op to make it easier for surgery and recovery. I currently go to the gym about 2 - 3 times a week because the pain is so bad. My left butt feels like a balloon of pain after any cardio I do.  Taking anti flams after workout.

Is there anything I should to make it easier on my doctor and my self for recovery?  I mean anything?  loss weight, certain exercises, diet, certain stretches, etc?

Thanks for any advice given.

Lopsided

Re: Advice to speed up recovery pre and post op info?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 09:42:43 PM »
Reduce both body weight and the NSAIDs.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 09:55:30 PM »
I think everything you've mentioned will help. Do what you can as allowed by the pain, you might do core exercises to strengthen your lower abdomen.

I was surprised to be told that my abdomen was weak, since I was doing 90 situps straight, but there it was. The exercises listed on the web site are very good for that, maybe work with the PT on that area, since those are the muscles that will need the most help IMO.

Also, keep a good attitude and be positive. And as lopsided wisely counsels, a good sense of humo(u)r?   ;D
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Neild5

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:07:18 PM »
Drop as much weight as you can, but the most important thing is work on your core and upper body strength.   The first 2-3 weeks you will be using your arms to get in and out of bed, chairs and cars.  You will not be using your legs to assist even doing things you don't realize you do.  Things like swinging your legs to give you momentum you will be muscling with your upper body.

Neil
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

hipnhop

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:56:38 PM »
Stay up with cardio as much as you can - swim, swim, swim. Not only for fitness but for mental health.  You sound like a person who likes to work-out. I had a real hard time with depression before and after surgery.  Don't forget to train your "mind." 

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

ZAP

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 02:59:22 PM »
Reduce both body weight and the NSAIDs.

Reduce taking NSAIDs??    Why?

Lopsided

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 08:27:40 PM »
Slowly, inexorably, they destroy your kidneys.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 09:41:16 PM »
Here is a program a hip resurfacing patient designed  http://surfacehippy.info/pdf/preophipprogram.pdf

Perhaps that will give you some more ideas on how to prepare for your resurfacing.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

KirkM

• 50 is the new 49...
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 01:31:42 AM »
Reduce taking NSAIDs??    Why?

Can be hard on Kidneys and also I have read that long-term, heavy use of NSAIDs can soften bone and you don't want to do anything that could lessen your candidacy for an HR.  Of course, ask your surgeon or GP or do some online research to find the facts.  Tylenol may be a better choice.

I will echo the others here and say get as fit as your hip will allow before surgery.  I was fortunate to be very mobile before my BHR so I kept my fitness high and my recovery has been nothing short of phenomenal.   I commend you for your foresight regarding this part of the process.  Most people are usually focused only on REhab and not at all about PREhab.

Wishing you all the best!
LBHR  Dr. Su   6/11/2011

lori.36

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 11:16:18 AM »
I swam every day prior to surgery and also did the pre op exercises that pat posted the link of.  I had an excellent recovery. 
I also limited the amount of NSAIDs that I got, maybe your surgeon could prescribe Celebrex for you?  I modified my life to eliminated the pain killers, but it was hard.  EX  I hate elevators, because I have a little fear that I am going to get stuck in one, but I took an elevator with every opportunity that they were there. 
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Boomer

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 11:27:49 AM »
If you can ride a bike without too much pain, you can include that in your overall plan. It will help you drop some weight, tone your legs and lift your spirits while keeping your cardio at a high level.
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

ZAP

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 05:17:25 AM »
I just started riding the bike at the gym. Hip joint and muscles are stiff for the first 10 minutes but after that I can even get some intervals/hills in.   I guess I should stay away from the heavy stuff like squats seeing how at the moment I can only get 2 - 3 reps of manual 1 leg bridge?

ZAP

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 05:18:43 AM »
Here is a program a hip resurfacing patient designed  http://surfacehippy.info/pdf/preophipprogram.pdf

Perhaps that will give you some more ideas on how to prepare for your resurfacing.

Good Luck.

Pat

Is it normal for my hip joint and muscles to snap, crackle and pop when doing the 1 leg bridge?

Lopsided

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 08:59:04 AM »
Is it normal for my hip joint and muscles to snap, crackle and pop when doing the 1 leg bridge?

The only joint I have that does not snap, pop, click, creak or grind is my resurfaced hip.

Anniee

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 08:36:43 PM »
The elliptical trainer is even better than an exercise bike for cardio - I cannot get my heart rate up enough on a bike, but have no problem on the elliptical.  Anything you do to keep in shape before the surgery will help with your recovery afterwards!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »
That's funny lop, I'm in the same boat (crunchy shoulder, back pops every morning when I get up, right hip is really crunchy on leg lifts). 

No NSAIDs for recovery, usually just acetomeniphen after the heavy stuff.  I've heard they reduce bone density like Kirk said.

What do you guys think about exercises specific to the surgical approach?  I had posterior and I think that's the more common one, and the leg lift outward movement (help me out here) was nonexistent for me for about 7 days.  It was like I didn't even have that muscle.  I'd lay on the floor to do leg lifts and then I could barely lift, but moving it outward was impossible. I suppose you could just do hundreds of those before surgery?   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat