+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Swimming after surgery  (Read 6193 times)

Alan B

Swimming after surgery
« on: July 30, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »
Sitting in 90 degree weather up here in the Northeast.  I have a pool and was wondering if anyone has been advised as to how soon you could go swimming post surgery.  I am 10 days post surgery.

gibbcutter

Re: Swimming after surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 04:52:17 PM »
My surgery was July 5th.  I see my surgeon for a second time on August 10.  He said no bathing or swimming until he has checked me out on that date.  He does not want the incision to soak in any type of water.

I was sitting on the beach today in Long Beach Island, NJ, and the water temp. was perfect and the sea was calm.  I was really tempted to jump in...but my wife reminded me of doctor's orders.   ???

Jenn Marie

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 05:01:22 PM »
This is a timely topic since more than 1/2 the country has been hit by heat and humidity.  I am also waiting for my doctor to give me permission to submerge in a pool.  I had surgery June 15th and go back to the doctor August 2nd.  I've heard that once the incision is completely closed it is okay, but I'm unwilling to risk it. 
The time is always right to do what is right.

FlbrkMike

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 08:33:58 PM »
Usually they tell you not to swim until the incision is completely healed.  I think it's because most pools, especially public ones, are a good source of germs and you don't want to expose your wound to them until it's completely healed.  I have a pool and spa in the yard, which are basically unused except for me.  I  maintain them myself so I know that they are very clean.  I probably would have been OK going in, but I waited anyway (it also helped that the pool wasn't really warm enough until end of May anyway).
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

hipnhop

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 10:59:44 PM »
4 weeks for me. As soon as my incision healed the doc said go for it. Swimming with Masters group ever since.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Neild5

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:00:27 PM »
My doctor told me to wait 24 hours after he removed the staples.  Thirty hours later I was in the water with no issues.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

23109VC

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 01:14:01 PM »
Dr. Gross said no swimming or going into water until incision totally healed...scab gone, etc.

I think that was roughly a month or so.

I was swimming around 6-8 weeks and things felt fine.  It was a neat sensation to be able to kick with my "bad" leg and not have it hurt! 
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

lori.36

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 10:59:03 AM »
My incinsion was healed at my 3 week appointment and I was told that I could go to the pool, sauna, ride a bike.  You are almost half way there, the wait is hard but necessary.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:52:21 AM »
My surgeon gave similar advice.  Once the incision is healed which he estimated would be about day 14-15.  Interesting his nurse said more like 21 days.  In any case I plan on trying to get in the water next weekend.

For those of you getting back to swimming did you just do open turns until the 90 degree restriction was removed?  Do you have any suggestions or cautionary advice?

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

lori.36

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 12:54:04 PM »
DG,  I was not give the 90 degree restriction.  :-X  I would say listen to your body.  I started doing the freestyle and when I approached the wall, just turned.  I did not push to hard off the wall.  At about 2 months I was able to flip in the water.  At 3 months I can now do the breast stroke and frog kick!  It is amazing to get so much ROM.  Swimming is a great way to get Cardio, stretching and weight training on in one workout.   ;D
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

jjmclain

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 02:49:26 PM »
Dan,

I had the 90 degree restriction until 4 weeks and that is when I was allowed back in the pool. However, I still did open turns for awhile until I got back some ROM and felt strong enough and not afraid to do it! I asked my PT about flip turns and she called my surgeon who was not available, but his nurse said absolutely no flip turns for awhile! I don't know if she knew what they were! But I listened anyway! Eventually I just got tired of doing open turns and started flipping. Just use your best judgement!

June

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
Hipnhop, were you kicking at 4 weeks?  I was told by ST to get to the pool as soon as possible but to use a pull buoy.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

jjmclain

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 06:13:51 PM »
I kicked. A pull buoy helps if you are having trouble keeping your hips up, but since I grew up as a competitive swimmer, I found it okay to kick. It did feel weird though! At first I could feel the clunking feeling and my operated side felt very heavy.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 07:22:48 PM »
I have noticed the last couple of pool sessions I am starting to kick more with the pull buoy.  At first I tried to kick but my muscles wouldn't let me three weeks after surgery.  Of course that was almost three long weeks ago.   ;)

And next week my 90 degree restriction is removed.  I will be allowed to do flip turns.  The problem is that I think my muscles have tightened up so it will be difficult, if not impossible, to do them right away.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat