+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: At the end of my tether  (Read 5197 times)

rubyred

• Never Give Up
At the end of my tether
« on: July 31, 2011, 06:32:37 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum, so hi, hello and howdy to you all!

I'm a 30 year old female in the UK, who, for the past 2 years has been suffering from mild to moderate hip dysplasia. To date i've been under 2 doctors, and have had 2 lots of injections, an arthroscopy and physiotherapy in an attempt to help, but nothing has worked... infact my pain is so much worse. I have now developed lower back pain which sometimes radiates up my spine to my neck. There are days where I can barely put one foot in front of the other without the help of pain medicine.

I've recently been discharged from my latest doctor because he states that my condition isn't curative, no other surgeon will touch it and I need to get it out of my head that surgery is an option for me :( I asked him about hip resurfacing and was told that because I do not have arthritus, it wasnt possible.

I've lost weight, tried to do gentle exercise when I can, i'm on anything up to 10-15 pills a day just so that I can work.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. I know I can't spend the rest of my life like this... or at least the next 20-30 years until i'm eligible for a hip replacement.

Any kind words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Michelle xx
LBHR - 9th August 2012 - Mr R. Treacy

Welcome back to life.

Nadia Smith

Re: At the end of my tether
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 07:39:37 PM »
Hi Michelle!  Whereabouts in England are you?  10 weeks ago I had my right hip resurfaced by Mr R Majkowski at the Gloucester Royal Hospital on the NHS.  I'm progressing really well and walking without a stick etc.  I believe he operates on younger people and children with hip dysplasia.

My left hip was resurfaced in 2005 by Mr McMinn in Birmingham, privately.  The McMinn Centre are very helpful when you call them and ask for advice.  It might be worth your while to do your own research, and once you have found a surgeon who can help you, then ask your GP to refer you to them.  That's what I did.  You have the right to choose who operates on you. :-*

Good luck with your research!

Nadia (Ross-on-Wye) :-*
McMinn LBHR 14/10/2005
Majkowski RBHR 19/5/2011

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:41:09 PM »
I've recently been discharged from my latest doctor because he states that my condition isn't curative, no other surgeon will touch it and I need to get it out of my head that surgery is an option for me :( I asked him about hip resurfacing and was told that because I do not have arthritus, it wasnt possible.

Michelle, that means that he cannot cure you. Speak to a really good surgeon. When I was in Gent there were other patients with difficult conditions that other doctors would not touch, but Dr. De Smet did, and did well.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Groundhog

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 07:13:08 AM »
Hi Michelle.
My experience is that you should not take negative responses as gospel. You may well find another doctor/surgeon with a completely different opinion of what is best for you.
It would apear to be a common misconception among some in the health professions that hip replacement or resurfacing is only for older people. This is certainly not the case.
Explore this site and do more research and I'm sure you will find out that you can be helped.
Good luck  :)

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 10:07:44 AM »
Hi Michelle, ask to go and see a Propper highly experienced HR surgeon such as the guy I'm going to see Mr Treacy in Birmingham and see what he says. It can be done via the NHS although your gp may need some coersion! If not you can get a private consultation with him for £150.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 10:22:55 AM »
Many thanks for your kinds responses. I really appreciate it.

I would love to go private, however I'm not sure my funds would allow me to have the actual surgery, although I could get an initial consultation just to get a second opinion..

You know what the scary thing is, I actually work for the NHS and the way i've been treated as a member of staff, I can only imagine how regular patients must feel.

Welcome back to life.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 10:40:49 AM »
So far I've been totally mugged off by the NHS my gp and local orthopaedic surgeon seem to have conspired against me and basically just lied through there teeth. I was told by my gp that I didn't have OA even though he had infront of him a operation report from a very good surgeon who said I had servear  arthritis. I asked to be sent to a good HR surgeon and he said as he had never heard of them he wouldn't. He sent me to his mate locally who told me a pack of lies and just insulted my intelligence for 20 mins!
I then had a private consultation with Mr Treacy who vindicated all my research and sent a rather abrasive letter to my gp asking him to refer me to him on the nhs.
So although the NHS can be a great thing you also have to fight if you know your not getting what is best for you!
If I were you I'd go and see Mr treacy privately I know Its £150 but it's money well spent and see what he says. If he says he can help you ask him how to get reffered to him on the NHS.
Hope this helps Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Lopsided

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 10:40:57 AM »
Michelle, you can e-mail many of the top surgeons, including Dr. De Smet, with your x-rays, and they give you their opinions, free.

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 02:45:57 AM »
Whilst reading through the website, I did notice that if I emailed my xrays, some kinda doctors would take a look, unfortunately I only have them in a different format on disc and I can't email them unfortunately.

I've been researching and researching my condition and i've found mainly that resurfacing appears to be for those with arthritis, which apparently I don't have.

Welcome back to life.

Groundhog

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 05:12:49 AM »
Michelle.
As Danny says you need to see Mr Treacy. He did my hip and I have the highest regard for him. If you can't get your gp to refer you to him then the £150 may be well spent.
I have little idea what dysplasia is but I would be surprised if a Birmingham Hip Resurface didn't sort it out.

maxi

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 05:26:32 AM »
this is a good reference

wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysplasia

hope it helps ....   :)
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

maxi

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 05:28:24 AM »
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

Lopsided

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 06:06:32 AM »
... arthritis, which apparently I don't have.

Arthritis merely means inflammation of a joint. And there are many type of inflammation. Your underlying condition might not be osteoarthritis, it could be dsyplasia. That can give you osteoarthritis. In any case, you are not qualified to rule yourself out of resurfacing.

If you have x-rays on a disk in a different format, you can convert them (there is information on how to on this site).

So get practical and contact a top doc.

D.

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 08:09:22 PM »
Here are some studies on resurfacing for dysplasia:

http://www.orthosupersite.com/view.aspx?rid=32924

http://web.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/content/abstract/90-B/6/715

If you do a Google search on "dysplasia resurfacing", you find others.
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 05:32:27 AM »
Thanks everso for all the advice and help. You all have been more informative than my past 2 surgeons combined!!!

I've been reading that the UK, or more so the NHS, struggles with hip resurfacing/dysplasia etc.... I can quite believe it!

I have an appointment booked with my GP in a couple of weeks and I'm going to go through my options thoroughly with him.

I'm wondering if maybe I should book a private consultation with a private surgeon, get my second opinion and if he thinks he can help and does NHS work, switch back to NHS care... I've heard of people doing this who cannot afford the £££ it costs for private surgery.

Welcome back to life.

Lopsided

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 08:30:38 AM »
I'm wondering if maybe I should book a private consultation with a private surgeon

Yes, one of those surgeons listed on this site as resurfacing surgeons. And you possibly won't even have to pay.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 12:02:31 PM »
The only problem with going to a non nhs surgeon such as de Smet etc is the fact her gp may not give much credence to there opinion. Mine didn't and I had emails from Bose, de Smet, gross.
If I were you I would go and get a private appointment with mr treacy it was the same price as going to my local ortho's privately and the letter he wrote to my gp really sorted things out for me. Its hard for a gp or anyone really to argue with someone like mr treacy. And he does operate on the NHS. So if you get his oppinion privately and say your gp is being awkward and you would like to see him on the NHS he will help you to do this.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

marcus

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 06:15:03 PM »
danny
hello i have been waiting for 8 weeks for local surgeon appointment
having found surgeon beforehand but found his fee was higher than nhs would pay and failed under pct to get higher funding
would mr Treacy cost be within nhs funding so i could book under ECN  ?
would be happy to get private appointment to see mr Treacy
any advice ?
 have also tried to email you under this website
cheers marcus

rubyred

• Never Give Up
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 04:25:44 AM »
The only problem with going to a non nhs surgeon such as de Smet etc is the fact her gp may not give much credence to there opinion. Mine didn't and I had emails from Bose, de Smet, gross.
If I were you I would go and get a private appointment with mr treacy it was the same price as going to my local ortho's privately and the letter he wrote to my gp really sorted things out for me. Its hard for a gp or anyone really to argue with someone like mr treacy. And he does operate on the NHS. So if you get his oppinion privately and say your gp is being awkward and you would like to see him on the NHS he will help you to do this.

I think Mr Treacy is the surgeon I wish to go to. I'd happily travel to Birmingham from Essex to see him.

Welcome back to life.

Groundhog

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 10:09:55 AM »
Marcus;
After a bit of persuasion my gp agreed to refer me to Mr Treacy but said that our PCT would almost certainly not fund it. However when he did they immediately did agree to fund it and I now have my BHR, done by Mr Treacy and all on the NHS.
You won't find out if you don't try.
Good luck.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM