+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fluid and swelling  (Read 2504 times)

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Fluid and swelling
« on: August 03, 2011, 12:49:12 PM »
Just more curious than anything else.

On Monday I weighed in prior to surgery at 186 pounds with shorts, shoes, t-shirt, and sweatshirt.  Last night I weighed after not eating much in the hospital at 197 pounds with only shorts on.  And I know that the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing prosthesis is not that heavy.  So I have to assume this is all the fluid build up.  My leg is swollen pretty good.

During the night I got up at least 7 times to urinate.  By this morning I weight 189.5 pounds.  Has anyone else tracked their fluid retention?  Is there anything inherently bad in the swelling?  I am assuming the ibuprofen and ice will help keep the swelling under control.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

gibbcutter

Re: Fluid and swelling
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 01:14:53 PM »
My pre op weight was 195.  I am now down to 188.  This is primarily due to the fact that I have improved my diet and am exercising more.  I am not sure what my immediate post op weight was.  My leg was very swollen and I was uncomfortable.

I don't think it is a problem but you should check with your doctor.

(I am 4 weeks post op.)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:06:00 PM by gibbcutter »

jjmclain

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 01:29:02 PM »
Dan,

I was very swollen...my left side of my body was way larger than my right!! It was definitely noticeable to me...of course my husband said it was fine, but you guys out there know what to say to make your wife happy!! I felt like I had a pumpkin on my left hip!

I am sure you are fine, especially since your weight has come down. I didn't dare weigh myself!!!  ;D

June

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:27:33 PM »
Well, you have to keep an eye on everything, but swelling is very common. I swelled both times, but I expected it. The first was the worst, they even put a drain under the incision to help. I was swollen for a couple of weeks on the second, about three maybe four on the left. Ice, elevation and (I'm convinced) the exercises helped with the swelling.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

bothdone

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 06:54:32 PM »
I had lots of swelling after both my ops.   Apparently it just happens.  It does look a bit weird though.   ;D

I also had migrating bruises.   Bruises which were originally around my operation site moved gradually down my leg until I had a spectacularly purple foot!    The joys of surgery.   :D    That too passed with no problems.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

moe

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 07:19:58 PM »
I have a slim build, 6' 160#. I had a butt like an NFL linebacker and spectacular colors that also moved around, lots of nightime urinating, hilarious now that I think back on it. Never weighed myself. As others have said, ice and elevation will help. Good luck

moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

hipnhop

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 11:01:33 PM »
I had to urinate a lot for  a few days after surgery.  I returned to normal after a week or so.  I guess it was fluid retention.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »
My swelling wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be from what I had read prior.  I took a photo of my legs for comparison, but it's not real obvious.  Several days later my foot had some signs of swelling and bruising from the fluid sinking down there, I guess.  The whole topic of swelling and draining is kinda groddy.  I'm eating pizza right now and I probably shouldn't have jumped on this thread.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat