+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Nearing the six month mark...  (Read 4101 times)

einreb

Nearing the six month mark...
« on: August 03, 2011, 08:53:51 PM »
I'm thinking its time to start shopping for running and basketball shoes!

Back to back 50 mile days on the bike last weekend.  I cheated a bit riding before the 6 month mark.  I've taken a few light jogging steps.  I suspect its going to be a little rough on the legs the first time out running. 
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

ZAP

Re: Nearing the six month mark...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 09:25:48 PM »
Are you limping at all?  What does it feel like when you try to run? Does it hurt or are the muscles just weak?

einreb

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:55:52 PM »
Are you limping at all?  What does it feel like when you try to run? Does it hurt or are the muscles just weak?

No limp or pain at all.  I've only done some light jogging on crushed stone for 50 yards or so in the past few weeks.  I had horrible bone quality, so I'm following doctors orders on running.  I can feel that certain stabilizers and muscles are weak.  Like that first late winter run I'd take after not running for a few months in the winter because I'm a bit lazy.

One thing I'm enjoying that I underestimated prior to surgery is the lack of pain.  I think about my hip a lot still... but mainly because its not hurting.  Laying down at night after a hard 50 mile bike ride and feeling no pain.  Its wonderful. Its like I'm on drugs, but without the hassle of being on drugs.  :)

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:24:18 PM by einreb »
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

hipnhop

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 10:58:09 PM »
I just bought the most cushioned shoe I could find. Great news on the Bike.  I am still not comfortable on the open road. Are you clipping in?
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

einreb

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 11:29:08 PM »
I just bought the most cushioned shoe I could find. Great news on the Bike.  I am still not comfortable on the open road. Are you clipping in?

yup, clipping in since about 4 months.  20-50 mile rides, no hard sprinting... just putting in miles.  I'm going to start hitting the bike training harder this fall.  I'm also shooting for doing a 5k ish at some point soon after i start running again.  I have no aspirations of doing more marathons, but I'm not sure where my motivations will take me.  I'd also like to dunk a basketball one more time. :)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 11:30:22 PM by einreb »

John C

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 12:34:34 AM »
Great report! When I got back to running at six months, I restricted myself to dirt trails; I ran all the uphills, and then walked or very slowly jogged the downhills to avoid any hard impact. It felt great.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:33:13 PM »
I'm at about the same time frame on recovery, but I'm not doing any serious exercise until after no. 2.

Zap - I think most of the folks will agree with me that within about 4 months post op, you'll be thinking that your new hip is perfectly fine to go do whatever.  It certainly felt that way for me.  It's the doctors orders that keep us from hitting it hard.  The small bits of bone growth over a year's period that we are unaware, is what we're waiting for.  As soon as I got rid of the limp at about 6 weeks, I was itching to run, or bike.  I actually played a little light soccer at about 2.5 months.  Felt great, but not a good idea. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anniee

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 05:06:48 PM »
Tin, I think you are right!  I'm coming up on 4 months in a couple of weeks, and my resurfaced hip feels great, except for a little bit of weakness in the muscles still.  I feel like I could run (at least jog slowly - I wasn't ever a runner) with no problem, if the doctor would let me, and if the other one wasn't hurting as badly as it is.  I'm really looking forward to getting to about 4 months after my second resurface.  The lack of pain in the resurfaced hip is wonderful!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

23109VC

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 03:02:06 AM »
I'm almost at the six month mark.  I haven't ridden my bike on the road het but have ridden it in a bike trainer.  I had some minor aches after about a week of riding so I backed off... That was back around four months....the discomfort is gone again and I'm anxious to start a real bike ride and im really looking forward to really running!

I'm following the rules and am waiting untilmexactly six months... 3 weeks to go!

Keep us posted on what it's like to really run full speed....I can't wait to try it?
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

einreb

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 08:26:09 AM »
I'm almost at the six month mark.  I haven't ridden my bike on the road het but have ridden it in a bike trainer.  I had some minor aches after about a week of riding so I backed off... That was back around four months....the discomfort is gone again and I'm anxious to start a real bike ride and im really looking forward to really running!

I'm following the rules and am waiting untilmexactly six months... 3 weeks to go!

Keep us posted on what it's like to really run full speed....I can't wait to try it?

Most of my aches come from stretching too much.  I was never that flexible to begin with, so I don't even know what i was missing.  I'm still way short of being able to bring my operated hip to my chest. 

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 12:15:57 PM »

Most of my aches come from stretching too much.  I was never that flexible to begin with, so I don't even know what i was missing.  I'm still way short of being able to bring my operated hip to my chest.

That would be your knee on the operated side to your chest, right? Otherwise, if you're trying your hip to your chest, I can see why you're sore  ;D
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

FlbrkMike

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 01:16:28 PM »

That would be your knee on the operated side to your chest, right? Otherwise, if you're trying your hip to your chest, I can see why you're sore  ;D

;D ;D

I'll be at 6 months on my left hip next Thursday, and I can't bring my knee up to my chest either.  I think, for me, it's mostly because my gut gets in the way  :o.  I guess that's something I need to work on...

One thing I CAN do that has been impossible for several years is to squat down low enough to line up a putt.  Now I just need to get out on the golf course and put it to good use!!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:17:09 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

einreb

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 01:37:09 PM »
I'll be at 6 months on my left hip next Thursday, and I can't bring my knee up to my chest either.  I think, for me, it's mostly because my gut gets in the way

could be a feature.  maybe I'll just grow a gut instead... :)

Tin Soldier

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 03:40:17 PM »
Growing a gut is exactly why half the population that needs a new hip, don't really even know they need a new hip.  My friend joking told me early on in my OA journey, "this wouldn't be a problem if you just sat in an easy chair the rest of your life".  So that's our problem. 

I just measured the distance from my nose to my knee of the operated side (LBHR Feb 2011), and without sticking my nose forward and without rolling the pelvis too much, I have about 6 inches to go to touch my knee to my nose.  I still can't squat, but I don't try, I really should though.   

FlbrkMike

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 05:39:16 PM »
I just measured the distance from my nose to my knee of the operated side (LBHR Feb 2011), and without sticking my nose forward and without rolling the pelvis too much, I have about 6 inches to go to touch my knee to my nose. 

Do you do this while sitting, standing or lying down?  It would be a good yardstick to keep track of progress.  I tried it sitting in my office chair and have about 8 inches on my left side and 10 on my right. 

Of course, it depends on how long your thighs are too.   ;)
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Arrojo

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 09:15:48 AM »
Hi,

I don't know why I thought you had to wait 12 months after surgery before running again.  Is it really 6 months?
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

hernanu

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 10:24:41 AM »
I just measured the distance from my nose to my knee of the operated side (LBHR Feb 2011), and without sticking my nose forward and without rolling the pelvis too much, I have about 6 inches to go to touch my knee to my nose. 

Do you do this while sitting, standing or lying down?  It would be a good yardstick to keep track of progress.  I tried it sitting in my office chair and have about 8 inches on my left side and 10 on my right. 

Of course, it depends on how long your thighs are too.   ;)

I do it by lying down, both knees bent, then bring up the knee as far as possible without pain or too much strain, then slowly stretch the other leg flat. If the knee I'm holding wants to go down a bit, I let it, since stretching, not injuring myself is the goal. In this position, my thigh now touches my chest, my knee will probably never get to my chest without curling forward, which I don't want to do (just puts strain on your back IMO), since my thigh muscles get in the way.

I wasn't able to get to that point until about six months had gone by on either side, with diligent non-painful stretching.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 10:26:00 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

jjmclain

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 10:27:37 AM »
Arrojo,

Each surgeon has a different protocol for returning to running. Some say 6 months, some say 1 year, and then there are those who have run as early as 6 weeks. Plus everyone's circumstances are a little different. Check with your surgeon and hopefully you will be back to running soon!

June

ZAP

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 07:31:06 PM »

No limp or pain at all.  I've only done some light jogging on crushed stone for 50 yards or so in the past few weeks.  I had horrible bone quality, so I'm following doctors orders on running.  I can feel that certain stabilizers and muscles are weak.  Like that first late winter run I'd take after not running for a few months in the winter because I'm a bit lazy.

One thing I'm enjoying that I underestimated prior to surgery is the lack of pain.  I think about my hip a lot still... but mainly because its not hurting.  Laying down at night after a hard 50 mile bike ride and feeling no pain.  Its wonderful. Its like I'm on drugs, but without the hassle of being on drugs.  :)

OMG I CAN'T WAIT!!

I just got back from the gym and as I'm typing this I'm sitting on ice. 

Tin Soldier

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 04:02:46 PM »
I was sitting in my office when I measured the distance to my knee from my chin.  I think Hernanu's method of laying on the ground is better, because you can gauge how much your lumbar/pelvis rolls.  You don't want it to roll.  I recall my PT strapping my pelvis down when doing that stretch to reduce the impact to the back/lumbar area.  The odd thing with this stretch is that it appears as if I could squat, yet I don't when I'm picking things up of the ground.  I guess that's why so many people have back pain.  Physically I ought to be able to squat, but I don't.  I think it's mental and I should work on it.

Agree with June - every doc seems to have a slightly different protocol on when to get back to running.     

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat