+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spinal Alignment and Chiropractic Care before/after surgery  (Read 3212 times)

rbt2011

Spinal Alignment and Chiropractic Care before/after surgery
« on: August 07, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »
Hello everyone.

I am happy to say that I have scheduled my surgery for this November with Dr. Su in New York City.  Without the resources, advice, and support of everyone on this site, I am not sure I would be on the road to getting fixed right now.  So, thank you to everyone.

While I am working to get into the best possible fitness level prior to surgery I had a question about chiropractic care.  Today, while walking around the farmers market I had my spinal alignment checked by a local chiro booth.  I was surprised to find out that the right side (the bad side) of my pelvis is over 1.75" lower than my left.  I wasn't surprised I have some misalignment as I am aware of my limp and changes in my posture to avoid pain, but I am a bit surprised just HOW misaligned I am.

I am 3 months out from surgery at this point.  Does any have any experience with chiropractic care prior to surgery?  I am wondering if attempting to "realign" my spine is even worth it at this point.  What about after surgery?  Does the surgeon typically check things like limp length, posture alignment after surgery?

Right side BHR 11/29/2011

Tin Soldier

Re: Spinal Alignment and Chiropractic Care before/after surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 08:15:17 PM »
This is an interesting question.  My surgeon most definetely talked about leg length differences and wanted to be sure to get the right "spacing" back during surgery by thinking about cup depth.  Presumably, I now have alloy and 1 micron of synovial fluid to make up the lost 4 to 8 mm of spacing for a regular joint.  I don't know how the surgeon measures and checks for leg length differences, but it seems to me that if the surgeon were simply pulling your legs and straightening them (like the PT does) during surgery, that you might get some inaccuracies if your back and pelvis were not straight.  Maybe it doesn't matter and the surgeon just builds your joint to match a regular 4 to 8 mm spaced joint?

I think my PT would say not worry about it and it will get sorted out during recovery.  Based on the significant change in my gait (improved) after surgery, I agree that any unsquareness, likely went away during recovery.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 05:05:20 AM »
This was my concern before surgery, as I was most definitely lopsided and constantly uncomfortable. My left leg was about one centimeter shorter than my right, and I felt it was adversely affecting my spine (which is already arthritic).

I asked Dr. De Smet about this and he replied quite confidently and in his usual economical way, "Will be OK, you have a hip problem not a leg length problem." Incredibly, immediately after surgery, I was level. My legs are the same length and my pelvis is level. The first few months, I felt my spine, or the muscles around it, were readjusting to being normal again.

I am not sure how a good surgeon knows how to place the device to the correct millimeter, but he can.

Tin, I believe the clearance is about one hundred microns (depending on device).

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 03:46:11 PM »
hundred microns would be 0.1 mm, right?  Seems more reasonable.   Thanks.

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anniee

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:08:34 PM »
Dr. Gross places a pin kind of at the top of your pelvis to measure leg length before and after surgery.  I have an extra little scar from the pin, and my leg ended up 4 mm longer than before surgery.  I do not notice the difference!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 01:05:53 AM »
hundred microns would be 0.1 mm, right?  Seems more reasonable.   Thanks.

From what I have gathered from the vague and minimal literature about all the devices, the various clearances are:
Biomet about 200 - the greatest
BHR about 150
ASR 65 the least
C+ varies with size but the 50mm head that I have has a clearance of 100

So, all either side of one tenth of a mil.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 05:12:26 AM »
My leg length difference was corrected by the surgery. I've had a lot of chiropractic, maintenance mostly. I was advised to wait three months after surgery before having any more.
G.

rbt2011

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 06:34:28 PM »
Thanks to all for their replies..

Right side BHR 11/29/2011

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat