+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ice and Compression- prepping for BHR later this year.  (Read 10096 times)

Ciarrai

Ice and Compression- prepping for BHR later this year.
« on: August 08, 2011, 09:32:13 AM »
Hi,

My husband is due to go in this fall for the BRH.
I was wondering in anyone has been given or used the Hip and thigh cryocuff for icing?
   If so, did that work better then other form of icing (ice pack, wet frozen towels)?
Also, did any one get shorts for compression?
   Did the doctor give that to you or did you get them on your own?
      If you got them on your own, what type worked best?
Thanks!!

hernanu

Re: Ice and Compression- prepping for BHR later this year.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:18:29 AM »
Hi and welcome! your husband is lucky to have you running interference for him.

I know some folks are using combined compression / icing pants, is that what you're thinking of? You might search for that in the site. I think they got it themselves, but it may be worth it to have the doctor prescribe them if it helps with the cost.

Welcome again.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

jjmclain

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:25:04 AM »
I think the website for the compression shorts with pockets for ice packs is something like: 110playharder.com

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 11:12:32 AM »
Frozen peas.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

FlbrkMike

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 03:24:48 PM »
The hospital sent me home with just a plastic re-fillable ice pack.

I bought a re-freezable gel pack from my PT, which was nice because it keeps its "coldth" for a long time and it's fairly soft and moldable.  That being said, I'll be those pants are great.  And even when you don't need them anymore they would be great on a hot day.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Ciarrai

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 05:09:45 PM »
Hi All,
Thank you for the warm welcome.  :)
I am just trying to prepare the best we can.

I want to go to the doctor with a list of questions to ask at the pre-op meeting.
Any suggestions on what to ask that those who have had the BHR thought of after the operation that they wished they had asked before?

Ciarrai

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 05:11:23 PM »
Hi and welcome! your husband is lucky to have you running interference for him.

I know some folks are using combined compression / icing pants, is that what you're thinking of? You might search for that in the site. I think they got it themselves, but it may be worth it to have the doctor prescribe them if it helps with the cost.

Welcome again.

Thank you very much  :)
I am not sure what would work best the pants with ice packet pockets or the pants and separate icing. I am trying to get an idea of what will work best.

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 07:21:57 PM »

Thank you very much  :)
I am not sure what would work best the pants with ice packet pockets or the pants and separate icing. I am trying to get an idea of what will work best.

I'm sure that those pants would be good, some people have liked them. I was fine with my own improvised ice pack, which the home PT person showed me. It was a zip lock bag with a hand towel that I wet, wrung out half way, then put flat in the bag. I froze that, it came out very thin and would melt in about 10 minutes, which was just about right for me. Never needed to put any more water in, and it was thin enough that I could put it under my leg when driving.

I'm sure there's a lot of good suggestions, the most important thing, I think is to ice with abandon.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 08:18:18 PM »
I love the pants!  I bought them based on a recommendation on this site.  They are a bit pricey but being an athlete I will be using them long after I am healed. 

I have used them a number of times since my surgery last Monday.  A bit difficult to get on a swollen leg but feel great.  The great thing is you can continue doing any activity while icing.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Cantab

• Paul
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 11:13:44 PM »
The cryocuff is a cooler filled with ice water that you circulate through a pad attached to it via a hose. It is gravity fed by holding the cooler above the pad to fill and below the pad to re-ice.   My wife had both acl's replaced and they sent her home with the cryocuff, it was a life saver and kept the swelling down.  I planned on using her cryocuff cooler with a larger pad, possibly the shoulder pad, after my surgery in Nov. A few of the posts here recommend keeping the hip iced after surgery really helps. 
I just found another product that looks even better, because it has a motor to keep the ice water flowing into the pad. I did find a downside on another website from an attorney claiming that some users have had nerve damage because of freezing the skin, just don't use it that long or on bare skin i guess is the answer.  here is the other items website  .venturemedicalsupply.com/breg/index.php/
RBHR Nov. 10, 2011.  Dr Specht Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA

Cantab

• Paul
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 12:05:14 PM »
I bought the compression shorts from 110play harder.  $110 for the pair and two sets of ice packs.  I didn't wear them until the 14 day mark as I was afraid to even pull them on.  They seem to work well with the swelling and the ice packs are great, they place the ice right where I need it, directly on the hip, the quad and the hamstring area.  The ice only lasts about 20 minutes so you don't have to worry about overdoing it and they refresh in the freezer quickly.  I bought an extra set of ice packs with the shorts.  When I first pulled them on, the compression felt great, gave me more stability in the operated leg when walking, still on two crutches though.  I start outpatient PT on Monday, I'll see what the PT says about wearing them during PT or after.  So far I am happy about the purchase.
RBHR Nov. 10, 2011.  Dr Specht Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 01:12:50 PM »
Cantab-

I love mine also.  They were great for icing during recovery.  I am still using them for working out months later.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

dwbitt

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 06:34:56 PM »
My shorts worked great, I was concerned I'd have too much swelling to use them immediately but that was not a problem. I just put the shorts on and inserted the ice packs, they last 30 - 45 min. They ship with enough ice packs to make 3 sets (I used one pad on my hip and one on my quad), they refreeze quickly and i was never without frozen ice packs available.

Not a scientific finding but I had virtually no swelling or bruising.

Dave
Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz