+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 yrs post op, have staph infection ??  (Read 2823 times)

triathloner

3 yrs post op, have staph infection ??
« on: August 08, 2011, 04:52:24 PM »
I know that subject line sounds horrible, I'm almost 3 years post op and have gotten a staph infection, It isn't the mrsa infection, and it's not in the resurfaced joint, but I'm concerned to say the least. I've been on antibiotics (cefuroxime) for 5 days and the infection looks way better and I am feeling better.  Have any of you had this problem?  Should my doctor be following a different protocol?  I saw Dr Gross for the resurfacing, and am waiting for a email from them, I was having troubles contacting them by phone because they are very busy I'm guessing.  Thanks for any knowledge you can provide.  Al.
left biomet Dr. Gross 10-22-08

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
Re: 3 yrs post op, have staph infection ??
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 06:40:05 PM »
Hey Al,

I had a staph infection (not mrsa) 6 weeks after my surgery in '08. Didn't get into the hip joint but did eat a hole in my IT band. Had a second surgery and IV antibiotics for six weeks and after that all was well. So don't freak out, as long as it isn't in the hip you'll be fine. If you want to talk more about it, drop me an email at magoo451@msn.com. I'll be happy to go into as much detail as you want.

best,

spencer

obxpelican

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 06:42:30 PM »
I've had a few infections the last few years, I was always very proactive and I ended up fine.

Where is the infection located? 

Many hippies have gotten a staph infection with no ill effects, if it's clearing up and your doctor is aware of your implant I would not be worried too much.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 06:51:38 PM »
Of course, I am assuming that the infection is not in your hip area?

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

John C

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 02:35:24 AM »
My only advice is to strictly adhere to the duration of the prescription. No matter how good things start to look, do not stop the antibiotics early, while there may be any staph still circulating in your system.
As Chuck said, we are all assuming that the prescribing doctor is aware of your prosthesis. I would still try to get ahold of Dr Gross or Lee, just to confirm the length of the protocol.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

triathloner

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:38:30 AM »
The infection is just a small spot on my shoulder, I cleaning up around the edge of our yard and there was a tall picker bush overhaing the yard, I got scratched pretty good on the shoulder and that is where the infection started.  It's going good, just wanted to make sure I didn't need some supercourse of antibiotics or something.  Thanks for the help.
left biomet Dr. Gross 10-22-08

obxpelican

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 09:27:20 AM »
In most cases assuming you get on antibiotics hippies usually suffer no issues, it sounds like you were careful so I would bet you too will be fine.

As John said, a heads up to Lee or Dr. Gross would be a good idea, Lee's email is leewebb1@sc.rr.com, she usually gets back within 24 hours.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat