+-

Author Topic: How long Anti-inflammatory drugs?  (Read 3278 times)

gibbcutter

How long Anti-inflammatory drugs?
« on: August 11, 2011, 06:45:31 AM »
I just past my five week mark. The recovery has been excellent.  I am getting stronger each day and the range of motion is slowly coming back.  I had been taking a daily celebrex which made a huge difference. Without the celebrex the entire hip area feels sore and I also walk with a limp.

My surgeon prefers that I not take celebrex but is willing to give me another month's prescription.

I want to be drug free ASAP. My question is how long is it typical to take celebrex or other inflammatory drugs?

Lopsided

Re: How long Anti-inflammatory drugs?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 07:30:27 AM »
At Gent it was for three weeks after surgery.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 11:28:03 AM »
My surgeon put me on tylenol extra strength for as long as I needed it. I took the maximum daily amount for three weeks, then lowered it to one or two a day for a couple more weeks, then as needed. I was completely off it after five or six weeks.

I was still walking with a bit of a limp at about six weeks. Hard to say about the celebrex, maybe when the next prescription is done, you'll be fine with tylenol?  It might be that your body needs to rest a bit more and the celebrex is masking that. Just a suggestion, as I'm not a medical person.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 03:30:50 PM »
I think I am an unusual case either because I have a high pain tolerance or high distaste for drugs.

I am currently at day 10 post op.  I was given Oxycontin for base level pain management and Oxycodone for maintenance.  I took a couple single dosages of 5mg of Oxycodone during the first 24 hours and then one dose several days later when I overdid it a bit.  I had the last dose of Oxycontin 3.5 days after surgery. Note: I was discharged 32 hours after surgery.

I have taken three doses of ibuprofen (400mg) and two doses of acetaminophen (500mg) since discontinuing the narcotics.  I also have taken a 325mg of aspirin daily for clot prevention.

I have had some pain but I read that as long as it isnt preventing you from being active it's okay.  I have probably been too active at times.  I have had a major pain like a charleyhorse in my lower quadriceps just below the incision that is slowly going away.  I have also had pretty consistent pain in the inside of the thigh.  And knee pain that I am sure is from the way I brace my leg with pillows.

I definitely think everyone has a different experience even with the same surgeon.  What we should all see is a pain-free hip after six months or so.

Best wishes.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

John C

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 07:26:27 PM »
It was interesting to me that I heard differing viewpoints from surgeons regarding Celebrex. My surgeon prescribed it for a few weeks after surgery, but a friend who is also an orthopedic surgeon questioned it because he was concerned that it might slow bone ingrowth. I later learned that the reason my surgeon prescribes it post surgery is to prevent heterotrophic (sp?) bone formation (a problem that involves small bits of bone forming in the soft tissue after surgery).
Remember that Celebrex is not really a pain killer, but is an anti-inflammatory that affects the inflammatory healing response, and can inhibit bone remodeling. My doctor says that it is fine to use, and I still use it when I have various injuries flare up, but from my understanding of how it works, I have some concerns about long term use affecting bone health and fixation. I read at one time that Mr McMinn is strongly against it because of its affect on bone health in arthritic joints. He felt that it would increase problems with bone cysts.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Lopsided

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 12:07:46 AM »
... is to prevent heterotrophic (sp?) bone formation (a problem that involves small bits of bone forming in the soft tissue after surgery ...

Yes, that is why we got it. It had nothing to do with pain.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 04:50:49 AM »
I took one dose of Celebrex as a prophylactic before surgery and then I believe while in the hospital during recovery I was taking some.  However, when leaving the hospital they gave me a big load of oxy that I never used and nothing else.  2 days post-op all they prescibed was 1 aspirin a day, oxy, and as much acetominephen as you could handle, no Celebrex.

Dan you might want to ask Pritchett about the ibuprofen, I thought recovering hispters weren't supposed to be taking non-aspirin NSAIDs because of the decreased bone growth.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

gibbcutter

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 10:16:36 AM »
Speaking of weed..anyone find it helpful???? Be careful how you answer. You never know who's listening.

There is no medical evidence that marijuana provides any benefit for pain relief.  Some believe there are benefits to the patient dealing with the side effects of chemo therapy.

Marijuana, like other recreation drugs, have an overall negative impact on our society.  I don't think it's use is relevant to the discussion here.  So many lives have been destroyed by illegal drug use. I take personal offense that it has been mentioned in a casual way in a post that I started.

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 02:41:50 PM »
My doc prescribed Voltaren for my left hip. I take one tablet a day although the prescription is for two. I've been taking it since December.  It doesn;t seem to help. Nothing does. Percocet makes me "Chatty Cathy" but really does not help with the pain. I found Percocet more effective in improving my mood, especially after being so depressed after surgery. I stopped taking it after the first few days because I didn't want to get addicted. 

Nothing I took made any difference on the bone on bone pain, makes me think we have some hard core people to put the surgery off so long. The only thing that worked (thank G) was the resurface. I think you'll be better off the second time around, Hip - the complete lack of pain was such a kick after the second for me.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 03:11:17 PM »
Gibbcutter, I don't think Hip was personally trying to offend you.  I appreciate your point of view.  I agree that other than appetite enhancement, marijuana has not been shown to have medicinal benefit.

None of us own our threads.  That is what makes this community great is the sharing.

Peace.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

gibbcutter

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 02:04:47 PM »
Gibbcutter, I don't think Hip was personally trying to offend you.  I appreciate your point of view.  I agree that other than appetite enhancement, marijuana has not been shown to have medicinal benefit.

None of us own our threads.  That is what makes this community great is the sharing.

Goss,
Your points are correct and I know that no one owns a thread.  But....anytime, anyplace someone casually mentions illegal drug use in a cavalier way, I am going to go back right at them.  I am sure no offense was intended but I WAS OFFENDED.  What matters most in the result of communication.

I enjoy this forum and am disappointed that this person got "off topic."

One thing for sure, the surgeons, researchers, and medical support teams that have developed the BHR, are not pot heads.  I will now get off my "high horse" because I am at peace with my position.

Thanks for your feedback.

JayClark

• Flat Iron Realty Group
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 02:06:05 AM »

I'm 5 months post-op, and I am on a 1 time in the AM Voltaren, and I am pretty happy with the minimal dose.

It helps get me moving in the mornings and during the day.  I do not want to do any more than that,
R BHR, April 2011, Dr. Crofford, Ft. Worth Texas

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 04:11:21 AM »
Just my opinion, did any of you read the warning label for celebrex?  For me it helped a lot but I quit taking it after reading about the sister drug Vioxx and how many people had serious issues with it.

Celebrex is a VERY strong anti-inflammatory drug but it just worries me when I read the label, I still have some of it, but, I just do not think it's worth the risk.

BTW, it's not a good idea to post things that could cause a stir like marijuana, I don't like things like that mentioned on here, it might give people a bad feeling about this forum.  Pat's done too much work on this site to ruin it guys.

For the record, it did not offend me, we all have opinions, just beware of where you post them since your first ammendment rights do not apply on forums.

I am going to delete the post, Pat can undelete if she feels it's ok.

Chuck
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 04:17:21 AM by obxpelican »
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Alan B

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 04:01:42 PM »
I will be at the four week point on the 17th.  I also stopped taking celebrex around the 3 week point.(did not want to pay for another 30 day refill)  I also felt a set back as far as discomfort, pain and limping.  But it went away.  My regiment has become one aspirin two times a day.(which is recommended for clotting and offering some pain benefits as well)  In addition, I take one tylenol with the aspirin.  I am almost at point of eliminating everything over the next few days. Realize that every day the pain/discomfort will get better.  I am not going back to celebrex.

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 06:50:18 PM »

I'm 5 months post-op, and I am on a 1 time in the AM Voltaren, and I am pretty happy with the minimal dose.

Be careful with the Voltaren.  I took it for several months before I had my surgery.  It pretty much eliminated all problems --- until blood tests revealed that it was causing liver problems.
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

JayClark

• Flat Iron Realty Group
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 10:48:21 PM »

Be careful with the Voltaren.  I took it for several months before I had my surgery.  It pretty much eliminated all problems --- until blood tests revealed that it was causing liver problems.

UGHHHH!!!    Not what I need to hear.  My bloodwork is good,  but again its only 1 time a day.........
R BHR, April 2011, Dr. Crofford, Ft. Worth Texas

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats