+-

Author Topic: bi lat in 12 mnths  (Read 3237 times)

maxi

bi lat in 12 mnths
« on: August 12, 2011, 05:05:11 AM »
hi all, havent posted for a while. had my 6 mnth check last week and presented my surgeon with x rays of my left hip (good hip). he said its definately on the way out and on the list i went, as im on the public scheme here in aus i have to wait 12 mths which is great for me as i will be a lot fitter for the second op. The first op snuck up on me and i wasnt in the best of shape (not being able to walk much didnt help  ;D). but now im fitter than i have been for yrs, walking 4 or 5 ks every other day etc. Maybe my second recovery will be easier than the first. On a side note, i have suffered with sciatica for yrs in both legs, after the right being done i have no more in that leg  :), hope it is the same with the left.... any one else had the same experince ?
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

Tin Soldier

Re: bi lat in 12 mnths
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 05:27:18 AM »
Wow - you have to wait 12 months?  I guess its good to "get on the list" then. 

My bro and Dad both have sciatica, but good hips.  Theirs is related to disc issues in their backs.  I did have lots of leg pain in the lower part of my leg below the bad hip and it all went away after HR. I think it was an IT band issue, but it could have been a host of problems associated with swelling, inflamation, and added bone growth in the degenerated hip.  I had weird ghost pains all over the leg, but nothing real specific to the back side of the leg.   

I'm probabaly optimistic, but I like to think of humans as being pretty darn symmetrical and so if it went away in No.1, I'd think it would go away in No. 2.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 02:45:37 PM »
On a side note, i have suffered with sciatica for yrs in both legs, after the right being done i have no more in that leg  :), hope it is the same with the left.... any one else had the same experince ?

Definitely for me. I had bad sciatica on both legs, gone on the first after the first resurface, then eliminated on the second with the last resurface. No sign of it on either now.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 02:49:19 PM »
Hey Maxi!  I'm sure that with the second rehab you will see a huge difference since you are in so much better condition.   I can't even imagine walking 4 - 5K's yet but it's on the goal list so it's great to hear of others that have achieved it after being hardly able to walk due to the bad hips pre-op.  Happy to hear that all is going well for you.
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

Lopsided

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 02:56:31 PM »
I can't even imagine walking 4 - 5K's yet but it's on the goal list

After four months you should be walking well. Maybe your recovery is slow, but walking itself is possibly the best therapy. Should be more than a goal, it should be your crusade.

After about four months my gait increased significantly, so hopefully you will get there soon.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 03:05:45 PM »
That is great Maxi!  I think you will notice a big difference for your second if you are able to exercise regularly.

I know I was glad to schedule my surgery out 6 months so I could get in great shape and lose some weight.  I think that is helping me in recovery.

Best wishes on your second ones, Tin and Maxi.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

FlbrkMike

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 03:13:31 PM »
Glad to hear that you got scheduled Maxi.  In 12 months you will probably be more than ready for it (physically AND mentally).  Good luck to you and Tin Soldier who has one coming up in less than two weeks!!

I didn't have any sciatica before my procedures, but I did have some major lower back pain for three or four years (diagnosed as "severe degenerative disc disease").  Happy to say that since my surgery the back pain has all but disappeared, only bothering me at all after heavy yard work involving a lot of bending over.  I think that has a lot to do with now being able to stand straight up while I walk, and getting back to regular exercise - walking, swimming and "erging".
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:14:30 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 03:20:45 PM »
I can't even imagine walking 4 - 5K's yet but it's on the goal list

After four months you should be walking well. Maybe your recovery is slow, but walking itself is possibly the best therapy. Should be more than a goal, it should be your crusade.

After about four months my gait increased significantly, so hopefully you will get there soon.

D.

I am still at it :D  Walking in the pool is perfect and not too far away from my land based efforts mirroring that.  Some of the problems that we are fixing are with 20 years of not walking properly so I'm pretty well on target with the rehab projections for my particular case.  I am with my physio twice a week to release muscles, monitor my progress, adjust my daily program and move forward to get the most out of my new joints. I am doing a lot of therapy and it is my primary focus of my life at the moment and has been since April.  Some might consider it my crusade.  I refer to it as my goal list, as I do have a pretty specific set of goals that are measurable and each step ahead is an achievable next.

I shouldn't be used as a comparison for other bilaterals as I'm not the 'typical' patient.  I've probably never walked 5K in my life.  My pre-op hips were pretty well wrecked since childhood, so I think my progress is actually pretty good.  I can do about 2K now and I'm happy with that progress that I've made so far.  That doesn't mean I've stopped.  Every time I improve and can do more, something is added in to help me move to the next step.
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).

Lopsided

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 03:33:03 PM »
not the 'typical' patient

Well if it is worth anything, I am still improving, if barely perceptibly, after one year. So I am sure you will improve continuously too.

D.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 09:19:39 PM »
I agree with Lop for the typical, but for Lori I wouldn't want you to think that you are behind.  There is a person in my office who has a bum hip, not sure what it is, but she has a significant limp and she says she's had it for a long time and you can tell by the way she walks that it has become a part of life.  So, I agree that it could take awhile to break the pattern, build muscles, and stretch ligaments that have been neglected for years.  I like your positive attitude about you recovery.  Stick with it.

Also, walking was and still is the best therapy for me.  At about 3 to 4 months I really noticed the gait get smooth and I would lengthen my stride.  The little additional stretch I got at the ends of each stride never felt so good.  Using muscles and ligaments that I had not used in a while.  It's a great feeling.  I'm thinking after inital recovery, I may try to get to 6 miles a day (to and from work) a couple times a week. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anniee

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 12:24:51 AM »
Lori Cee, I'm happy to hear that you are progressing so well!  I remember from your previous posts that you had some problems most of the rest of us did not have.

For myself, I got very exited this morning when I went out to cut my grass - I did my whole lawn and did not hurt all over afterwards!  It is the first time since my surgery that I felt that my strength was back 100% and it felt wonderful!  Not even my left hip gave me trouble, probably because the right one has gotten so much stronger.

Maxi, whatever you can do to get in shape before the surgery will help with the recovery!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 11:25:33 AM »
Thanks Tin and Annie!  I do think that I'm doing pretty well and my physios are happy with me as well.  It has actually been pretty amazing at the speed in which I have been able to get some of those neglected muscles being able to move.  The big jumps I've made in my progress have been when I could start hydro, the elliptical and now pilates.  I'm sure that the long walks will come soon. 

I am in love with the puppy across the street who is looking for a new home and he will want long walks that I'm not quite up for yet, so I'm on a bit of a deadline here :D

Good job on mowing the lawn Annie!  It really amazes me when I have those moments where nothing hurts after I've done an activity.

Maxi, sorry for hijacking your thread!  You rock and the fact that you are in so much better condition for the next one can only mean good things  :D Even though I am the 'slow case' since I probably should have gotten a BHR in 1995, I am still a massive fan of 'pre-hab' and preparing as much as you can pre-op.  To me it's like training for the marathon.  I would be no where near as well off now had I not invested the time and effort in the months leading up.  It doesn't always mean it will be an easy path, just easier than what it could have been.   I truly believe that.  Best Wishes to you as always!

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 02:01:39 PM »
maxi,

It's good to hear your are on the list. You are walking 4 to 5 ks? Good for you. You should be in really good shape for your surgery. I guess this means we will be seeing that puss with the melon on it's head for a while longer.   ;D
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

maxi

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 09:40:22 AM »
Thanks everone for all the well wishes  .. :)

Tin... Hernanu  ..The list is my only option as funds are limited ..  mine is bad disc probs as well, ive had it since my late teens and flares up every so often, just hopin the second HR relieves that leg..im with you on the symetrical theory Tin as im a Libran and balance is paromount ..  ;)

Loppy... yep my recovery is slow and still have the tennis ball thingy goin on but yes my gait is very good. I play golf every sunday (not well mind you .  ;) ) walk the first nine and cart the last nine ... my step size is definately increasing ..

Lori Cee .. well what does someone say about you ??  I would not put you in the 'slow case' catergory, we all have our own pace on the recovery path ..
you are just one gutsy determined woman in my eyes ..  you have my upmost respect. That puppy needs to walk ..  ;D ;D .. best wishes to u too  ..

FlbrkMike... Bloody yard work will soon sort you out. Lower back is  is  mmmmm ....   bad ... :'( .. mine has subsided marginally ..  ummm what is "erging" ?? (excuse me for my ignorance or did u mean 'urging')...

Anniee .. yes, its fast becoming my "crusade" to get as fit as i can ..as Loppy suggested .. my landlord mows my lawn, great to hear you have done yours,  but i have got my vege garden crackin' along. maybe i will take some pics and show off .. ;D

newdog ..  ;D     Yeah it does mate .. Why would you want to leave this site ?, the people here are the best anywhere. I am involved in a small Recreational Fishing site here in Aus and look at lots of other forums , the people here are genuine. Difficult phenomenon to find in cyberspace..    :) ..  The melon pussy stays ..   ;D ;)

Thank you Pat ..  :-* :-*     :)  ;)

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

Lopsided

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 03:19:06 PM »
Maxi, I will be having an x-ray next month to see how my other hip is doing. Even though it does not really need it yet, I would prefer to have it resurfaced than the slow anticipation as it gradually and unevenly degenerates.

So if you know for sure that you will be getting done in twelve months, you are lucky, you have a specific date to look forward to.

I could do with having my lumbar and neck resurfaced too, if there were such a thing.

maxi

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 09:18:18 AM »
yeah loppy wouldnt that be good...
ive suffered with nerve pain down my arm which came from my stuffed neck. being a painter and decorator for most of my working life hasnt helped at all... on that note, i have been back swinging the brush for 4 days in 2 day stints, up to 4 days now.. and was working on a steep site that you could have slipped on easily and guess what, i did...   stirred my back up but the hip came up trumps ... 8) ..
 i was carrying a small roller tray, a small roller and 1.5 ltrs of paint , slipped 1.5 mt and didnt spill a drop ... ;D

i went home after that .... ::) ::)

maxi

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 08:57:50 AM »
hi all,

been a while since i posted on here, .. 

please excuse me for my ignorance on this... but was it the smith & nephew that was stopped ?...

hope everyone is doing great .... :)

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 02:41:20 PM »
Hi Maxi, there was a recall of the R3 Ceramic THR Smith & Nephew system that involved 185 devices. It has optional liners, poly, ceramic and metallic; the recall affected the metal liner.

The recall was caused by failure in quality control in the German manufacturing plant during packaging, where the metal liner was mislabeled, causing the wrong liner to be included with the overall device. The problems this caused to patients was some infections, fractures and dislocations.

The Birmingham HR system was not part of this, or any HR component.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Recent Posts

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by zippymon213
October 19, 2021, 05:42:06 PM

Re: Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by catfriend
October 18, 2021, 06:08:25 PM

Re: Completed the 2021 Boston Marathon by LarryBud
October 18, 2021, 10:43:42 AM

Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by gray horse
October 17, 2021, 04:16:50 PM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal