+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Seven months since Bi-lat surgery  (Read 2677 times)

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
Seven months since Bi-lat surgery
« on: August 12, 2011, 11:23:34 PM »
Hello All,

Today marks my seven month anniversary since having both hips resurfaced by Dr. Thomas Gross in Columbia, S.C. I haven't been on this forum much in the last month because it's Summer and I'm usually outside doing something since the weather is nice. When you live in the Northeast, you take the good weather when you get it.

Everything has gone amazingly well since my surgeries. At the six month point, I started riding my mountain bike again after almost two years of not being able to even get on or off of it. It was kind of weird getting on at first because it's been so long since I rode and that awful pain I used to feel is something I can't forget. My riding has not been anything crazy, just good rides on some mild trails and some road riding. The only pain I felt at first was the pain in the behind because I'm not used to riding. I tried some light jogging, not very far but just enough to test out the new hardware. No problems at all. Both the bike riding and the light jogging were a little scary at first, but once I got going the scariness went away.

The biggest joy is just being able to walk normally and comfortably again. I can glide along at a rapid pace and it is just amazing. My range of motion is at least what it used to be before my hips really got bad. No more leaning on a shopping cart at a store or having to stop and wait until the pain goes away. I go on walks with my wife which is an activity I totally stopped doing before my surgery. When I sit down at a picnic table, I can even step into it normally! I no longer stub my toes on the edge of my bathtub when getting in and out of it. I no longer wake up 20 times a night trying to get comfortable from the lousy aching pain. There were times when the pain was excruciating and it didn't seem like it would go away. Just a few examples of how my life  is so much better now. I guess only a Surface Hippy can appreciate stuff like that. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, kayaking! I can get in and out like in the old days. No problem.

Again, this has been said a thousand or more times, "If you are on the fence about getting this surgery done, don't wait any longer. You'll be glad you did it".

A ton of thanks to everyone who provided support and valuable information on this wild and crazy journey. I can't even imagine where I would be today without this site and the great people on it. Thanks to Vicky Marlow also. It was her website that I first came across when I was searching for something, anything to help end the misery that I was in. That's where I first heard about this "hip resurfacing" thing. Huh? Must be some kind of scam or something. LOL!

A special thanks to you Pat Walter. This website is just so valuable to all of us. Where would we be without it?

Seven months, I just can't believe it!   :)

Steve
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

John C

Re: Seven months since Bi-lat surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 12:58:58 AM »
Right on Steve!!! ;D
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

maxi

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 01:51:36 AM »
thats bloody awesome steve .. ;D ;D
This site rocks ... 8) 8)
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:34:25 AM »
Way to go Steve!  Love to hear your updates - you are an inspiration to me :D
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 10:07:44 AM »
Lori Cee,

YOU are an inspiration to me and everyone else. Your attitude is amazing. I have been following your posts and you have had a few more challenges than me. You are doing great.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

23109VC

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 10:50:35 AM »
Steve-

It is great to hear you are doing so well!!  You deserve credit as being inspirational too!!  I remember when I was only a couple weeks away from surgery and you sent me really encouraging emails, ensuring me I'd make it through the surgery I was so nervous about!  And then when you were in Columbia for your six week follow up with Dr. Gross, you went out of your way to stop at the hospital to see me as I was one day post op.  That was so nice of you, and it was very encouraging to see you, a fellow hippy, six weeks post op walking unassisted and showing me that I would be up and around soon too -  and pain free.

This site is great but it is ultimately the people on it who make it so valuable and enjoyable!  I hope your hips (and mine) last a lifetime!  I'm only a couple weeks from six months and I'm dying to do the light running and take the bike out like you are doing!!

Do you still have any start up pain or stiffness if you sit for a while and then get up?

Thanks again Steve, for your help and encouragement. Your emails and words of encouragement before my surgery were so helpful!  I wish you he best!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 12:05:57 PM »
Steve-

Great update Steve!  That is what we all long for, a return to the activities with the ones we love.

Thanks for your continued support of this site and all hippies, past and future.  I have decided that this is something that I need to spread the word about.  Because of all the negative press many people will continue to suffer or have needless THR.

Best wishes for continued success.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 12:29:17 PM »
Great post, Steve and it's really good to see you doing so well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 09:53:37 PM »
Thanks all for the kind words.   :)

Sean,

Yes, I do still have start up pain. If I sit for a minute it's not as noticeable but if I sit for a long period of time then I am stiff for about the first 3-5 steps. The funny thing about it is, after those "start up" steps, the pain goes away immediately and completely. I'm still a little stiff squatting down to pick up something, but I notice even that is improving slowly.

I'm not hardcore about working out like some others on this site, but I do my post op exercises at least once a day (I miss a day now and then) and I walk a lot. Now I am into riding my bike again and that is just incredible joy. You will see what I mean.

Steve

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 08:12:01 AM »
Thanks Steve!  We can start a mutual admiration society :D   
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 10:54:56 AM »
Steve

Thanks for the update. Glad everything is going well for you.  It is nice that you continue to post and let people know about your hip resurfacing journey.  Good Luck.   Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 11:40:12 AM »
Nice job on the picnic table - Steve!

Several years down the road, maybe we need a special ROM-reducer attachment that we can put on our legs for an event like getting in and out of the tub, or walking down the sidewalk and tripping on a slight bump in the concrete,... but only for a short event, just so we don't forget how great it is to be able to move like we do now.  I know that sounds sadistic and I know we won't forget anytime soon, but sometimes I feel like I have rubber band around my legs and I can't get a long stride, or lift my leg (only for the un-operated leg, now).  The operated leg is great.

Good job everyone!     
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 12:25:01 PM »
Kind of like a pregnancy suit for hippys? Cool idea, hopefully it involves stilts.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anniee

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 08:49:22 PM »
Steve, Lori Cee, Sean and Hernan,

All of you have been a source of inspiration and help to me and so many others.  And certainly Pat deserves special thanks for starting this website, because of the support and encouragement we receive here.  Steve, it's great to hear that you are doing so well after your bilateral surgery! 
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat