+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: TAKING MY NEW HIP ON VACATION  (Read 2840 times)

othepain4

TAKING MY NEW HIP ON VACATION
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:21:42 AM »
I am having my left hip don Dec. 8th. Since I will have time off from work my wife would like to visit family in England.[we live Connecticut  We are thinking the 19th to Jan. 2nd.  I am hoping to be using a cane. Don't remember rehab from my other side in 2007.  My other issue is do I need to do follow up while I'm away. Good doctor near Birmingham?

hernanu

Re: TAKING MY NEW HIP ON VACATION
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:35:58 AM »
I think there's a couple of mediocre doctors there...  ;D

Figure about a six hour flight about two weeks after the surgery. Would have been a bit challenging for me, but with enough ice and getting up and about... I did a 4.5 hour drive from Boston to Bangor, ME at four weeks with frequent rest stops, so why not? I would take or have crutches waiting, seeing as you'll want to sight see and visit folks.

Good luck with the procedure and early welcome to the bi-hippy club.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 12:07:28 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »
Wow, that is an aggressive schedule.  I am at day 13 and I can't imagine sitting for a flight across the pond.  On the other hand it is only pain.  Ice helps immensely but I am not sure how you will elevate.  You can definitely do anything you put your mind to.

I would get in the best shape of your life.  Lots of walking, core, and upper body (for the crutches).  I would also take advantage of any wheelchairs post op.  And I would guess your surgeon would want you on anti-coagulant before and during your flights.

I think I would be worried about a complication that would require you to cancel your trip.  May be the one time to buy travel insurance.  Be sure to read the fine print.

Best wishes on your second new hip.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 12:11:41 PM »
I know I was being a wise a$$ earlier, but here's a reasonably skilled surgeon....

Mr. Derek McMinn FRCS, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
3095 Hip Resurfacings to date
The McMinn Centre
 25 Highfield Road
 Edgbaston
 Birmingham B15 3DP
 Tel: [+44] 0121 455 0411
 Fax: 0121 455 0259
email:enquiries@mcminncentre.co.uk
http://www.mcminncentre.co.uk/

I think he needs the work ....

othepain4

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 01:10:55 PM »
I got your humor.  I wish I had done a journal on my first hip. How long do you have to ice? It was in the summer and I was able to walk alot. Would love to travel but don't want crutches.

Luann

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »
Hey good luck on your new hip! My advice, find a Dr., discuss sx, tell him/her your plans. I don't think I would have been able to do that much, or go on vaca after my HR!! It depends, like others have said, on your age, fitness level, overall health, etc. I would recommend just spending the time off at home healing and relaxing.   Good Luck!   Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

othepain4

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 02:42:30 PM »
The idea of going to england would be to visit with my wife's big family. I would not be there for sight seeing.

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 03:34:56 PM »
Sounds like you'd have good places to relax and recoup, maybe the biggest challenge would be the trip itself. I iced consistently for about 5 weeks. I think your return trip would be the least problematic, you'd be at 5 weeks, by then driving fairly long distances became much easier.

Good luck, sounds like a good trip.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »
Take your crutches and they may put you near a bulkhead with lots of legroom. 

"reasonably skilled surgeon in Birmingham"  Ohhh, So that's why the BHR is the called BHR, I thought they were talking about Birmingham, Alabama.  :)

Sorry, Hernanu, I couldn't resist.

At 2 weeks, lots of ice and not sitting for too long.  I think were the keys to not getting stiff or having too much discomfort.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anniee

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 08:59:24 PM »
I think Dan's advice to buy travel insurance is definitely something you should consider.  I flew from Augusta (GA) to Denver 4 weeks post-op - that was easy, but it's a much shorter flight than going across the Atlantic.  I flew to Stockholm in early July, about 2 1/2 months post-op - had no problem (other than the pat-downs!).  I don't think I could have done it 2 weeks after the surgery, but as Luann says, a lot depends on your individual fitness level.  I would take advantage of the wheel chair services at the airports for sure, though.  I never really noticed how much walking you have to to in airports until my hips started hurting!  Or that many airports don't have much seating in the luggage claim area!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

othepain4

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 07:19:41 PM »
Called my doctor and spoke to PA. He said that it would not be adviseable to sit for that long. I really want to go and am now toying with the idea of going on the 23rd. That would be 15 days. I had little pain from the right side. I only toke meds. before my first session with PT. I am waiting to hear back from Dr. Kennon how soon he recommends I wait. I see people going overseas for this and they fly home?

Luann

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 10:39:45 PM »
I hear your dissapointment in the post! If your heart is really that set on going, look into the section in this discussion group (as you suggested) on traveling abroad for HR's. I remember reading their questions about how to go about flying, Rx precautions, timing with sx, etc. There must be a way. Then, be sure to OK with your Dr. one last time, as your's may be a special case in which it is still not advisable.  Good Luck, hope it works out for you.  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Lopsided

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 04:00:30 AM »
In Belgium, we were told we were good to fly eleven days after surgery. We had to take a double dose of the injectable blood thinners and keep our TEDs on.

I was due to fly at day fourteen, but my arse cheek swelled up just on that day and I put off my flight for another four days. I was dreading the flight, a thirteen hour long haul. But in the end, I got on, was bored for thirteen hours and slept little, got up and went to the toilet often. And then it was over. The hostess had been helpful giving me ice for my icepack, and I got priority clearance though checks and immigration at both ends.

So do not worry too much about flying.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

othepain4

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 05:32:42 AM »
My pa said that they were concerned with sitting for such a long time. He mentioned the possibility of dislocation? My Dr. uses the anterior approach. I still have not heard back from my Dr. but I'm determined to go.

Lopsided

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 05:37:30 AM »
No, you won't dislocate it by sitting.

You have to be careful about blood clots, which is why you take blood thinners and wear TEDs.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

othepain4

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 08:36:11 PM »
My Dr. would like me to wait 6 weeks before flying unless it is a emergency! 6 WEEKS!  i GUESS i will have to spend Christmas with my family. My wife's family is a lot more fun!

maxi

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 10:28:23 PM »
i was a passenger in a car 6 days out for a 13 hr trip. slept solid for 15 hrs after that ... :)
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

moe

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 05:39:55 PM »
I know I was being a wise a$$ earlier, but here's a reasonably skilled surgeon....

Mr. Derek McMinn FRCS, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon
3095 Hip Resurfacings to date
The McMinn Centre
 25 Highfield Road
 Edgbaston
 Birmingham B15 3DP
 Tel: [+44] 0121 455 0411
 Fax: 0121 455 0259
email:enquiries@mcminncentre.co.uk
http://www.mcminncentre.co.uk/

I think he needs the work ....
[/quote]

McMinn!!! What does he know?     ;) :)
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 06:00:43 PM »
I know you really wanted to go to England for the holidays.  But I think it is better that you are staying close to home.  Think of it as a short term sacrifice for your new life without pain.

Best wishes on the surgery.  I would focus on getting in good shape.  I am sure glad I got in shape and lost some weight.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

othepain4

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 03:51:50 PM »
I htink that is sound advice. I guess I can look forward to not going out to work in the cold!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear