+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 months post op  (Read 2260 times)

nekko

3 months post op
« on: August 14, 2011, 04:01:51 PM »
Dear resurfaced Brothers and Sisters,

I will have my 3 months-post op check soon. Everything is fine when using the bionic hip in "normal" conditions. No pain / no limping.
I just got some heavy groin pain when doing some very moderate stretching of the iliopsoas (see attached). The same pain occurs when I am walking from normal "speed" to faster, just by increasing the length between two steps. When I switch back to "normal" conditions, pain goes off. Does anybody had experienced such a pain in these conditions ?
Conserve+ cemented, May 12-2011, Pr Migaud, CHu Lille

hernanu

Re: 3 months post op
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 09:17:42 PM »
Yup, I think it happened with me when I extended a stretch a bit too far. I think martial artists are in a small quandary, since we need to stretch to get fluid and good height in our moves, we need to stretch farther than normal for others, but have to be cautious that our muscles that have been weakened in the procedure are not compromised.

I am at almost a year on one, and at 9 months on the other. I have gotten some issues from stretching and weights, a real groin pull on a leg press machine at about 4 months, a muscle pull on the back of the leg from extending my stride.

I am now doing good stretches, but not like before. I think I will reach my regular extension, but I expect it will take another year or so. I am doing all punches now, and starting on mid level roundhouse kicks and crescent kicks, will probably try slow motion side kicks soon, since my extension seems to be able to support that.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:37:29 AM »
I had pain in my hip flexor which I assume mostly came from the iliopsoas prior to surgery when I pushed the pace walking.  I assume that this was because I typically would change my gait to avoid the pain of my arthritic hip.

I have noticed this pain as I am starting to walk in my recovery.  I assume it has been further stretched during surgery causing some weakness.  I also assume that I will have to strengthen and stretch this muscle to account for the range of motion my new hip will allow.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

lori.36

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:56:37 AM »
Nekko,  That is a really hard stretch.  Can I suggest that you try this method to strech out the Psoas:
http://www.drbackman.com/psoas-muscle-stretch.htm
I even deepen the stretch by lunging on the standing leg.

I am not having pain when I am walking, but when I swim the side stroke I feel the hip flexors.  Getting stronger and more flexible everyday.  Can you believe it is already 3 months and the difference that this surgery has made on your life? 

L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

nekko

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 11:41:22 AM »
I think I will reach my regular extension, but I expect it will take another year or so.
Hernan, this is a wise and safe approach. I will use this as the base target in my stretching program.
Dan, thanks for your input. You are at 2 weeks post op and the best will come.
Lori.36, good to hear from you and thanks for the link. This exercise seems much less agressive for the psoas.
Conserve+ cemented, May 12-2011, Pr Migaud, CHu Lille

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat