+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 Week Post Op Anniversary  (Read 1914 times)

gibbcutter

6 Week Post Op Anniversary
« on: August 16, 2011, 07:04:14 AM »
First steps in the morning are difficult but mobility improves as I move around.  Without Tylenol I will walk with a limp.  Progress is slow but I am slowly progressing.  I am very diligent doing my excercises and 3 days a week I ride a bike.

I am looking forward to painless movement, limp free walking, and no need to take pain meds.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:24:07 AM by gibbcutter »

hernanu

Re: 6 Week Post Op Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:28:40 AM »
Congrats, the first steps will be an issue for a while, I found keeping hydrated and not launching into it sometimes helps.

I do the Sponge Bob Square Pants around town stretch (as I demonstrated to my daughters - 21 and 18 to their eternal dismay) - stand up and do a slow circle with your hips. This cut down on the initial step problems, and also got me used to standing.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 11:08:27 AM »
Startup stiffness can last a few months, but definitely does go.

If you still have a limp, for the time being use a stick, or at least carry one with you. Better to rely temporarily on a stick than medication.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:22:12 PM »
Gibb -

Are you riding a bike outside already?  Or are you referring to a stationary bike?  I plan on using the spinning cycles at my gym for awhile before considering getting out on the roads.

I look forward to walking unassisted more than just a few steps around the house.  I plan on carrying a cane for awhile after the crutches so that I don't develop bad habits.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

gibbcutter

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 04:26:56 PM »
Gibb -

Are you riding a bike outside already?  Or are you referring to a stationary bike?  I plan on using the spinning cycles at my gym for awhile before considering getting out on the roads.
Dan

Doing both....I have a quality recumbent bike and a mountain bike.  When riding outside, I stay on flat roads and don't push it.

Luann

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 07:13:07 PM »
Hang in there, Gibb, it will just keep getting better(HR 6/02/10). Not to worry about a little stiffness, mine lasted into the winter months (though very mild) off and on. A little NSAID here and there is very helpful. I did the recumbant bike, also.
 Congrats on the milestone. Lop is right, use a cane if needed (I liked the one with "legs" as I could let go of it and not have to lean it against something! )    Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal