+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New member and going to see Dr. Gross  (Read 6676 times)

Aerial

New member and going to see Dr. Gross
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »
Hello All-  Like many have said I am delighted to find this board.  You learn so much from people actually going through procedures.  I was diagnosed with severe arthritis in my right hip in July.  I have had hip pain since 2008.  I have been through all the conservative measures including hip arthroscopy due to a labral tear and bone spurs.  That surgery was a year ago and my arthritis has advanced greatly in a year.  It is now time to do something about it.  I am 46 (female) and very active with cycling, yoga and swimming (well not quite as active as previously due to my hip).  I still try to do what I can but for the first time in my life I have to psyche myself up to be active because it can be painful.  I know if I did nothing, I would feel worse though.  As I started researching hip resurfacing I really think it is for me.  I was thrilled to find that one of the best surgeons in this area is right in my hometown of Columbia, SC with the hospital he operates at  4 miles from my house!  I've read good things about his skill but would love some fresh comments on people's experience with Dr. Gross.  I have an appointment with him in early September. I feel like I need to reclaim my life and get this taken care of!  It makes sense to me to preserve bone at my age and leave the option for a THR later in life if needed.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

hernanu

Re: New member and going to see Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
That is lucky to have him that close! Welcome to the site, sounds like you're taking good steps.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

gibbcutter

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:18:24 AM »
Good luck Aerial.  I was discouraged by many against have resurfacing.  Although I am only at 6 weeks post op, at this point, I am glad I made the decision.  The entire process will be a unique experience.  Like many others, I have found this site helpful.

Aerial

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »
Why were you discouraged (reasons)?

Lopsided

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:13:58 AM »
Everyone is discouraged. Most of the orthopaedic surgeons in the world treat it as their duty to test our moral fortitude, by telling us all the wrong information. Those of us that are determined eventually get resurfaced.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Aerial

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 12:16:26 PM »
That is one reason I feel comfortable with an appointment with Dr. Gross.  It seems like if he does both resurfacing and regular THR he could give an honest appraisal of what might best for me.  Maybe I'm crazy!  I've read quite a bit on the procedure.  I know conventional total hip is a safer bet and if I  were 60 or 70 I wouldn't question it.  But being younger and knowing the conventional total hip is there if I need it makes me willing to try the hip resurfacing.  Although I was hoping that hip arthroscopy would give me 1-3 years, it definitely turned out on the short end of that.  How much can one hip take!  I think having easy access to a reputable surgeon also makes me willing to try it.  I don't know if I'd be so willing without someone who has really developed an expertise in the area.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 12:17:49 PM »
Aerial - Your story sounds like so many others.  We end up doing our own research to find hip resurfacing. 

It sounds like you haven't lived with the pain as long as some of us did.  It I'd great that you are dealing with it early.  I had range of motion problems for 10 years and increasing pain for 5 years.  I pushed through the pain to continue walking, cycling, and swimming.

I am now day 14 post op with one of the other all-star hip resurfacing surgeons.  I am doing better than I expected.

It is great that you have such easy access to one of the best.  Pick an experienced surgeon and the best implant is the the best advice.  Stay in great shape before your surgery and recovery will be much easier.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 01:15:10 PM »
Aerial - I think most, if not all on here, will agree that you are darn lucky to have Gross so close.  I would say, based on the info on the site and what everyone has said, and based on his numbers (flight time), he's easily in the top 5, maybe 10, in the world when it comes to HR.  He certainly gets a little more noteriety than some, but regardless, I have heard nothing but good news about him and his staff.  If I were on that side of the US, I probably would have gone to him.   

Stick around.  Some of the Gross Hippies on here will surely want to tell you about their experience.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

obxpelican

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 01:23:37 PM »
Aerial,

You'll be pleased with Dr. Gross and his staff, you're lucky living so close, I drove from Pgh, PA to get mine done.

Here are some highlights of my recovery scroll down to read my post here:

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=1055.msg6307#msg6307

Some facts and tips about Dr. Gross:

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=1512.0

Good luck

Chuck

Hello All-  Like many have said I am delighted to find this board.  You learn so much from people actually going through procedures.  I was diagnosed with severe arthritis in my right hip in July.  I have had hip pain since 2008.  I have been through all the conservative measures including hip arthroscopy due to a labral tear and bone spurs.  That surgery was a year ago and my arthritis has advanced greatly in a year.  It is now time to do something about it.  I am 46 (female) and very active with cycling, yoga and swimming (well not quite as active as previously due to my hip).  I still try to do what I can but for the first time in my life I have to psyche myself up to be active because it can be painful.  I know if I did nothing, I would feel worse though.  As I started researching hip resurfacing I really think it is for me.  I was thrilled to find that one of the best surgeons in this area is right in my hometown of Columbia, SC with the hospital he operates at  4 miles from my house!  I've read good things about his skill but would love some fresh comments on people's experience with Dr. Gross.  I have an appointment with him in early September. I feel like I need to reclaim my life and get this taken care of!  It makes sense to me to preserve bone at my age and leave the option for a THR later in life if needed.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 07:40:58 PM »
Aerial,

Let me know how it goes.  I live in the Atlanta area, and have had a phone consult with Dr. Gross.  I hope to have surgery just after Thanksgiving.....just waiting for their office to schedule it.  Let me know your thoughts.

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Aerial

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 08:48:15 PM »
Andy- Yes, let me know how it goes as well.  I could stop by and visit you in the hospital since I pass it on my way to work (ha, ha)!!!  Seriously though, good luck and how did you happen to decide on hip resurfacing vs. Total hip replacement?  I am a seriously active and athletic person.  I have cut back so much right now but want to have the hope of returning to some activities with more intensity.  I know I will never run a marathon again but it would be great to run a mile.  I haven't run in well over a year now.  However if the pain is gone and I can be active pain free, running is really irrelevant!

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:04:13 PM »
Aerial,

Chuck said it better than I probably can with the info he posted. I am a Gross Hippy. I had both done January 10 and 12, 2011. On January 10 a snowstorm blew through Columbia, remember? I was in the hospital that morning for my first surgery.

You are so lucky to live right there. My wife and I drove from central Pennsylvania to Columbia because I wanted Dr. Gross to be my surgeon. You won't regret choosing him as your surgeon. I'll tell you how much I like him and his crew. I'll be going to Columbia in March next year (2012) to see him for my one year recheck. I don't have to do that, I could send him x-rays, but I want to.  How many docs would you travel 600 miles to see and really look forward to the visit? What a nice guy. You'll see what I mean. He will listen to you and won't be in a hurry to move on to his next patient. I wish my primary doc was like that. Ask him anything, talk to him about anything concerning the surgery. He really enjoys talking with his patients.

Pro-op, post-op, they have everything the best it can be. The hospital is amazing as well as the staff. If you have any more questions let us know, there are others here who have gone to him.

Steve
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Luann

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 11:43:45 PM »
Hi Aerial,
 I am also female, small framed (they discourage small framed females) very active, and was only 45 when I had my HR (over a year now, and doing fabulous). Follow the protocal, get a good Dr. (sounds like you have one), do not do too much too soon... you should do fine!  Good Luck, I hope it works out for you. (Do not wait until you are at your "wits end" with mental and physical pain.)  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

John C

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 01:19:21 AM »
Another Gross hippy here full of praise. Dr Gross and all of his staff are great and caring people. He spent more than half an hour with me on the first appointment, and then stayed after hours to meet me again when I came back with a CT scan that he had ordered. His attention to detail is wonderful, including everything from a minimal 4" incision, a pain control protocol that allows waking up after surgery with no pain, clear headed with no nausea, and a dressing that does not need to be changed and allows showering right away. When you look at how good his results are, you must also take into account that he takes on a lot of tough resurfacing cases that most other surgeons would not do, and he still has a great track record with those cases included. You are very lucky; I flew all the way from Hawaii to work with him, and you are right next door.
Be sure to make a good connection with Lee Webb, Dr Gross's right hand; and nurse Nancy. These are two wonderful people that will make the journey more pleasant and full of reassurance.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Aerial

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 06:57:46 AM »
Wow thank you so much to everyone who has replied!  I am indeed feeling lucky to live in Columbia.   :)

Lu - I have read about the small frame issue as a possible contradiction.  May I ask your size?  I am 5'6" and 126 lbs.  I considered myself to be small framed/boned.  I hope this won't be a problem.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 09:06:19 AM »
Aerial,

Like you, pretty much most of my hobbies and interests are around things active.  I've run the Warrior Dash for the last few years (seriously fun, if you've never done it).  I want to go to the next level (the Tough Mudder), but that will now have to wait.  Anyway, the limitations of a THR were unacceptable to me, and when I found this option, it became a no-brainer.  Besides, neither a resurfacing nor a THR will likely not last our lifetimes (I'm 43), so when a revision is necessary, it would be nice to have all the necessary bone intact for a THR when that day comes.  Who knows, maybe there will be a better option in 15-20 years.

I'll expect that visit!

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

obxpelican

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 11:51:35 AM »
Doctor Gross did a friend of mine, I would be willing to bet she's smaller than you and teaches yoga, Dr. Gross specializes in difficult cases, if it can be done he'll tell you but I bet he can.

BTW--- that friend of mine, she's back to doing yoga.

Chuck

Wow thank you so much to everyone who has replied!  I am indeed feeling lucky to live in Columbia.   :)

Lu - I have read about the small frame issue as a possible contradiction.  May I ask your size?  I am 5'6" and 126 lbs.  I considered myself to be small framed/boned.  I hope this won't be a problem.
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

jjmclain

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 12:13:38 PM »
Aerial,

I am a small 49 year old woman, 48 at time of my Left BHR. I am only 5'2" and around 110 lbs and have always been very active. I am a triathlete, personal trainer, and fitness instructor. If you go with a good surgeon like everyone has suggested, you will be fine! I am 9 months post-op now and doing great!

June

Luann

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 12:39:13 PM »
Hi again, Aerial,

I am 5'3" and about 117 lbs. The danger seems to be from the retention "peg" that goes into the neck of the femor to hold the ball part of the prosthesis. In small framed people, the neck can fracture during placement. I was willing to take the chance, I told my surgeon if it fractured during placement, go ahead with a THR. The first words out of my mouth, after waking from anesthesia, were "Which one did I get?". Thank goodness my bones must have been sturdy enough and the Dr skilled enough to get it right! I do believe, however, that I need to be careful not to majorly traumatize it in the future, as fracture of the femoral neck can be a bigger risk for me than other, larger framed folks. No more breaking colts for me anymore!
 HR is one of the smartest decisions I ever made.  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

jjmclain

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 02:05:15 PM »
Luann,

LOL!! That was my first question when I woke up as well! I think I even asked them several times just to be sure...must have been the meds I was on!!!

June

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal