+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1st Anniversary check up  (Read 2627 times)

littleb

1st Anniversary check up
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:37:29 PM »
I've been having some burning and pain in my hip for the last few weeks. Since I have major back issues it is hard to tell what is causing the hip pain. I saw Dr Su for my 1st anniversary yesterday and there is some inflammation in the hip but most of the pain is probably from the back issues. Probably just a little tendonitis in the hip.

I had the ions blood test which Dr. Su collects in the office then sends off to Virginia. I have two weeks to wait on results and am a bit nervous even if Dr. Su doesn't seem concerned. The bad publicity nudges the mind in places it should not go.

Xrays show perfect placement and the bone looks healthy. The left hip doesn't show any signs of deterioration, Yahoo! Heavens willing, the numbers for the metal ions will come back nice and low and I can focus on fixing my back how ever that will be done. Sadly I am not a candidate for a disc replacement and there is no resurfacing the spine. I will also be able to put the pain I am feeling right where it belongs, at the spine doctor's door.

Anyone else get a little nervous about the metal ions blood test?

Hoping you all are pain free and loving your hip.
Barbara
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

Luann

Re: 1st Anniversary check up
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:50:02 PM »
Sorry your having pain, Barbara, here's hoping as long as you have to have any it is not your hip and you can get some relief from the correct kind of Dr.
 Yes, the metal ion subject does make me nervous. I had my one year checkup a couple of months ago, and I guess (I didn't even ask, that is how nervous it makes me!) if you're not having any problems, they do not test. I am feeling great at this point. Still some healing to go but no real complaints. I know... ignorance is not always bliss. I will inquire at my next checkup (I think they told me next year June).

Are other Hippies Dr's routinely checking, or like mine, only if there are troubling symptoms? I would like to know.

Anyway, I hope you get the answer that will help you most from your test, and find relief soon!! Thanks for checking in with us, Lu

F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

John C

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:27:54 AM »
Luann,
I pushed to have the ion level tested, even though my surgeon repeated a number of times that it was not needed. I am very glad that I did, since the numbers came back very low, so the whole metal ion issue is off of my worry list. Very much worth it.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Lopsided

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 04:14:42 AM »
I had my ion levels checked at eight months, and possibly will get them checked once per year. The readings came back very low, and I had no reason to expect anything else.

So get your levels checked and then be reassured.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

littleb

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 11:55:10 AM »
I think some doctors check ions every year starting with the first year, some start the second year because they feel there can be higher numbers at year one without it meaning anything and some don't check unless there are symptoms. From what Vicky posted about the conference, McMinn doesn't routinely check metal ions.

I am glad I had the test since I have doctors pointing fingers at each other. Even if some pain is coming from my hip, if the numbers are low at least I won't be as worried about it.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

Anniee

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 08:43:15 PM »
Barbara,

If your placement is perfect, I don't think you need to be nervous about the ions.  Based on my conversation with Dr. Gross at my post-op appointment, the only people who have problems are the ones that ended up with too steep of an angle.  If I remember correctly, that was 55 degrees or more.  I do not worry about it because my angle is much lower and I trust my doctor.  Dr. Gross does test his patients for ions on a routine basis.
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

littleb

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 11:02:53 AM »
If I remember correctly my angle is around 33 degrees. Did any one else get an official plastic card from Smith and Nephew with all the info like your doctor, date of surgery etc? I got mine today mailed out from Dr. Su. At least when I go through the airport scanners the bomb looking device in my hip has a card to explain it lol.

If I didn't have any pain in the hip at all I wouldn't be worried. I've been putting the flector patches I had for my back on it and it is helping some. I'll be calling later to see how my vit D came out.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
Barbara
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

Lopsided

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 11:50:12 AM »
Yes I got one, but I do not think it comes from the device manufacturers, I think the doctor's office makes it up themselves, and includes one set of the identity stamps that come with the device.

The one I have got is too big to fit in my wallet, and I do not think is all that useful.

I made my own embossed card with the identity stamps on one side and an x-ray of my hip on the other. I have not had reason to show it to anyone at any airport, but it is as much a show piece as my children's picture in my wallet.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 07:01:34 PM »
I didn't get any card.  I thnk with the x-ray scanners these days, there is not as much need for card showing.  I believe there is a long thread on this topic somewhere here.

If McMinn is suggesting that docs don't need to request metals testing, than I'd say most of the really well known docs that are using BHR, are probably following his lead.  The FDA has the same sort of info on their webpage about HR.  In summary, they are saying that if there are other reasons for potential metallosis then one should look into metals analysis.  However, on a personal note, I'm with you guys, piece of mind is huge, and I think it is well worth the time and money to get tested.  I say that, but my doc doesn't think it's necessary.  Oh well. 

I thought with all the fuss over metals last spring and the new order from FDA to collect additional metals data, I'd think all the docs would be getting the data and sending it back to manufacturer.  Maybe that is forthcoming, because the manufacturers are still planning how they will meet the FDA's request?
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

littleb

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 11:43:43 AM »
I got the first results. Vit D is low so back on the supplements. Chromium is 3.6 so that is good. They didn't have Cobalt yet but if the Chromium is low I don't think there should be any problem.  ;D Now my spine doctor is going to have to figure it out.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 12:03:02 PM »
That is great news on the low Chromium level.  I think you can be certain that the Cobalt level will be low as well.

My understanding is that unless you have poor placement of the cup there is little chance of metallosis.  But it never hurts to check.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Luann

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 12:47:40 PM »
Thanks for the update, Barbara, I will be thinking of you and hope you get some peace, soon!  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Anniee

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »
Great news on the chromium, Barbara!  I'm sure the cobalt will be fine too.  Let us know what the spine dr. has to say!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

fenceman

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »
3 years out and never had an ion test.  My Dr. said I didn't need it.
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz