+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: The inevitable wipeout.....  (Read 5823 times)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
The inevitable wipeout.....
« on: August 17, 2011, 11:00:13 AM »
I am waiting for a scheduled date for my right hip....hopefully late Nov. 2011. 

I was reading the other mountain biking posts, as this is one of my favorite things to do.  With that said, since kids I don't go all that often, so I'm a bit rusty.  And, when I did, I always tried to push myself, particularly through obstacles.  I, like others in the previous post, have one shoulder surgery from mountain biking, and it seems that a wipe out is inevitable if one is really pushing it.

Have any of you hippies wiped out?  What is the danger?  I want to hit the trails next year, but not if the result might be catastrophic.

Thoughts?
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

jjmclain

Re: The inevitable wipeout.....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:20:54 PM »
I only ride a road bike...too chicken for those steep descents on a mountain bike!!! I waited to ride until 6 months after surgery mainly due to the fear of having a fall. I think there are lots of mountain bikers on this site and they have probably had their share of falls post-surgery. If you wait the proper time for it to heal, you will probably be okay. I am sure you will get several responses from the hard core mountain bikers.

moe

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 05:07:09 PM »
Welcome to the site. I crashed on my right hip on solid ice at 5 months, I was really shaken up but the hip was fine. I also went down on the left hip about 4 months ago, this one really hurt and I had to head out of the woods, but once again the BHR was fine. They really can take some abuse. After the surgery I never thought I would ride like I used to, but after a while the fear went away. That's not to say that I don't use a bit extra caution at times. I'm 58 years old, ride xc 29" rigid, but keep the wheels on the ground. I also ride road, but I actually feel safer on the MTB, what with people texting and talking and drinking etc. If I get hurt on the MTB it's because of something I did and no one else.

Good luck, moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

John C

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 01:34:16 AM »
I am definitely a bit more cautious mountain biking than before. At least for me and my conservative riding style, the one sure rule is; 'no clipless pedals'. I was riding some wild single track down in Baja a couple of weeks ago, and flipped off the trail on my resurfaced hip side. I managed to jump free of the bike as I was going over into a ravine, and did a nice side roll over into the bushes. If I had been clipped in, my hip would have gone down hard into the rocks. Had a friend in his mid 60s who is a very experienced biker go down hard yesterday on his MTB while clipped in; broken femur requiring plates and screws.
I do not think that anyone knows for sure just how much impact a resurfaced hip could take before it knocked the cup loose, but I have no doubt that at some point it could happen.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 02:14:58 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I am not a crazy biker, and I won't ride over a balance beam or other trick stuff.  Even so, you never know when something will twist that front wheel the wrong way unexpectedly.  I ride mostly with my wife, and while she's decent on a mountain bike (and the most fit person I know), she's not a risk taker.  So, I should be okay.  Nice to hear others in the same boat.  Thanks for the replies.

I am hoping to have Dr. Gross do my hip in early January.
Andy

BOILER UP!

larry2458

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 04:20:59 AM »
ive crashed quite a few times, including hitting the deck hard enough to break my ribs and another time cracking my coccyx.every time i fall off i get up and check my hip over.............so far so good.it'll be 3 years old next month by the way
lbmh 16th october 2008

phillwad

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 11:58:23 PM »
I am looking forward to gettin back to the 100mile plus races I used to do but I have also found some 300km road rides that might give me the endurance fix - withinout the fall risk.  Next year after recovery.

I also love cyclocross and will be back fit for next season for that fun in the cold

Cheers - Phill

David

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 08:33:04 AM »
Regarding mountain biking after BHR...
RF who was on this forum after his BHR went out for an "easy" wide trail ride at 13 weeks.
He ended up having an "easy" fall and fractured the femur at the head of the device.
Had to be carried out and within 24 hours was the owner of a new THR.
I suppose any fall has the possibility of causing the same, and even though I went out on the road biking very early, I think I'll wait for a good 9 months before I go into any trails, because I KNOW I WILL FALL.

Best...
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

dwbitt

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 09:28:56 AM »
David,
How soon were you on the road bike? I see the good Drs. recommendation is 6 weeks but I'm feeling pretty good on the trainer and I'm getting antsy!
I know falling is the big worry, but a solo ride on familiar roads should reduce the risk, it is a bit hilly here though.

BTW, I finally checked the website in your signature, are you the David G.?

Dave
Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

David

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 10:19:47 AM »
Hey Dave,
I went out on the road on my MB because it was a little more upright and comfy for my first two rides at 5 weeks.  Quickly switched over to my road bike as I became more confident. I would try to stay away from the hills as much as possible until you begin to strengthen.
I am DG, I don't know if "the" is good or bad:-)
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

dwbitt

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2011, 11:22:38 AM »
Thanks David,
Reading about RF's crash was very sobering, I hope his THR won't be too big a limit on his activities.

Being DG is good! You should put that resume in your Profile, I know it awes and impresses me! Getting to chat with such an accomplished athlete gives great relevance to everything you say.

Still planning Kilimanjaro?

Dave
Dave
LBHR, Dr. Su, 10/29/11

David

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2011, 06:22:45 PM »
Thanks Dave. 
Kilimanjaro might be postponed for now and replaced with the Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim.
I'm not so hot on that though as I don't like the cold weather too much.  We'll see.
I'm just excited to see Dr. Su for my 3 month follow up to make sure all is good before going forward.
I'll pm you my cell# and if you'd like to exchange the same, I'll call you if I'm running late with my Monday appointment.
Best...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 01:17:31 PM »
Old thread, but now that I'm "done", I thought I'd pop it back up and see who else might respond.

From what I now understand, the risk of femoral neck fractures, like RF, are greatest at the 3 month point (like he was).  Probably for the exact reason....he FELT back to normal, but his healing was not done.

For me....my 1-year point will be next January.  So, I'll wait until Spring 2013 to mountain bike.  At six months - with doctor's clearance, I'll do some easy running.  At 9 months, I'll start back to tennis (doubles).  In 2013 I'll mountain bike and....if I'm in shape enough....I'm planning on the Tough Mudder.
Andy

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM