+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 Months Post Op Feel Good Story  (Read 3708 times)

lori.36

3 Months Post Op Feel Good Story
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:28:45 PM »
Hi,
Let me first thank Pat for this website, becuase this is the first Hip resurfacing website that I found.  If it was not for this website, I would not have known about this option, because the 1st OrthoSurgeon did not mention hip resurfacing to me. :P  It is because of both surfacehippy and the hipresurfacingsite that I choose to get hip resurfacing.  I also did searches on the doctor that I choose on this forum and followed bdaughtry throught the entire process with the surgery and the surgeon.  All of this gave me the courage to make my decision for surgery and produce an action plan on how to accomplish the surgery and recovery.  So Thank you to everyone that attributed to me being here.

Yesterday I had my 3 months follow up appointment with Dr Rector and he was amazed with my flexibility and strength.  Stating that I am further along than most on ROM with a 3 month post op appt.  I am able to kick my leg out to the side with full extension, bring my knee to the chest, bent knee rotate in and out.  I have been released to do Yoga, Pilates, Snowboarding, Skiing, Rollar Blading, Hiking.  I am not allowed to do high impact sports, like running or basketball, which is convient for me because they are not my favorite. 

I was thanking Dr Rector for giving me my life back.  I am living without pain!  I am able to walk as far as my mind wants, I am able to play with my kids, I am able to grocery shop.  I am able to live life and be happy.  Again I am just really thankful for my life to be given back to me.  Thank you!
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Boomer

Re: 3 Months Post Op Feel Good Story
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:54:11 PM »
Thank you for posting your Feel Good Story. Stories like yours, particularly your impressive recovery and positive outlook, are inspirational to those of us still in the waiting stage. When my time comes, I will not hesitate.
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

jjmclain

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 02:03:06 PM »
You are an inspiration Lori!!! ;D

Aerial

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:05:45 PM »
So cool with yoga.  I practice Anusara yoga and really hope to get back to that after surgery.  Glad to hear you are able to come back so soon!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 03:27:22 PM »
Lori-

I aspire to be like you at 3 months.  I am now at day 16 and feeling great.

I have never been the most flexible person.  I really want to not only get my range of motion back to where it was but actually improve it.

Did you have regular PT?  If so, for how long and how often?  Was it general PT or did it have an athletic focus?

Thanks for the update and congratulations.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

lori.36

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 03:51:12 PM »
Dan,
I am a hypermobile person, meaning very flexible.  The only PT that I did was deep soft tissue work.  He would give me exercises, but it is from walking and biking that I have gotten the strenth back.  At 16 days, I was still walking with one crutch but was thrilled that I found a way to crawl down to the floor and back up.  Enjoy each day as it comes, because with it comes a new break through.  I remember I so wanted to walk without aid at 2 weeks and was quite bummed when it did not happen, but now I am so thrilled that I took it easy and listened to my body.  Only do what your body wants to do, but do it carefully.  Soon you can hit the pool. ;D
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Anniee

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 08:36:08 PM »
Great news, Lori!  I remember how you were a little bummed that you were using crutches for a few days longer than I did after the surgery, and look at what you are doing now!   I have enjoyed following the progress of your recovery.  (Still haven't quite figured out how you managed to shave your legs a few days post surgery - the shaver taped to a stick did not work for me)! ;D

I hope you will keep posting - I may need some moral support for my next hip!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 01:06:33 AM »
Nice job on the fleibility - Lori.  I'm hoping to be near that in a year or so.  I think my capsule tissue is slow to turnover or something.  My brother was visiting this weekend and we went to the local crags to do some climbing.  I was impressed with his flexibility.  I tried the same route and couldn't even make it a few feet up the wall.  Someday.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 06:25:07 AM »
Great news, Lori! The flexibility gets better and better, as to the break through moments, they still come at almost a year for me.

I went to a Latin club deejayed by my niece and was able to do about an hour of dancing. The last hip was a little weak, but no pain and the only breaks were dictated by my lack of stamina; a brazilian woman kicked my behind doing a samba and I sat down, completely out of breath but hips felt fine.

Keep up the good work, it's really good to see you progressing well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

John C

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 03:00:54 PM »
Hi Lori,
Great report!
One question; when he said no impact sports like running and basketball, did he give you an idea of when that would be approved, or was that permanent?
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

lori.36

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 05:35:25 PM »
Annie, I was able to shave my legs the day after surgery, without the stick, just propping my leg up while I was sitting.  The OT could not believe that I wanted a shower that morning, non the less that I could shave.  I know I am a show off.  So you are going in for the 2nd hip?  are you going to do it this year?
Heremanu~  Wonderful news that I will see more progress, I am just amazed by how much this surgery has given me.  I am thrilled to have my life back.
John~ Doc said that at the 1year mark he will release me for those.  Funny because I really dont care about that stuff right now.  I guess I know that my body is not ready for it.  How far along are you?

Thanks everyone for all of the encouraging words and all of the motivation to get this surgery done.  It really has changed my life dramatically.
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Luann

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 07:15:15 PM »
Thanks for the update, Lori, glad you are doing so well! Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Anniee

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 09:00:52 PM »
Lori, I tried propping my leg, and I just could not do it - still could not reach far enough to shave my legs!

I'm having my left hip resurfaced on October 12, at noon.  I will make sure I shave my legs that morning.  Last time, I thought I had planned everything well, but I did not think about the leg shaving issue!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 11:17:28 PM »
Lori,
Nice report! Especially about being able to do everyday things. It's great to run and jump and play, but to walk again with dignity and confidence is amazing. You are doing great!
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

bdoughty

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 12:06:09 AM »
Hi, Lori. I've been away from site for awhile - things have gotten quite busy at work, just got back from week in Seattle, heading to Atlanta next Thursday for 10 days. Good to hearing you're doing what sounds like extraordinarily well. I've been on the bike and walking, walking, walking last week. My back is still cranky, but we're working on that. But the hip is amazing. Keep up the good work.

lori.36

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 06:26:50 PM »
Bill,  It is really good to hear from you.  I know about not being online too much, just been busy enjoying the new hip.  I did fall of my bike the other day and got some road rash.  I fell on the opposiste side of the surgery, I think I was over compensating.  All is well though.  I have been hiking and did Hanging Lake with the family, it was so wonderful to enjoy the scenery in Colorado again. 
Have you been for any hikes?  Thanks again for all of the information and experiences that you shared with me.   ;D
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM