+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Going Bilateral (I saw Dr Marwin today)  (Read 2663 times)

Woodstock Hippy

Going Bilateral (I saw Dr Marwin today)
« on: August 17, 2011, 08:26:26 PM »
I saw Dr Marwin today and after looking at my xrays he asked ''So, you're here to talk about resurfacing.'' Both hips are ready to go. . I had a very interresting talk with him.  About my previous doc he said that the doctors who turned away from resurfacing weren't willing to put in the time to learn how to do the surgery.  He told me he's been doing resurfacings since 2005 and that he loves to do the surgery because his patients have such good results.  He explained  the  anterior vs posterior surgery, which I can't explain, but he said that first he learned posterior and then anterior and he finds that it works better.  After my shoulder surgery next month I could get this started before Thanksgiving and be ready to run by next fall!

I still have to see Dr Su next month, but things are definately looking better.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Anniee

Re: Going Bilateral (I saw Dr Marwin today)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:38:15 PM »
Are you planning on having bilateral resurfacing (both at the same time)?  If so, will your shoulder be healed by the time you have the resurfacing?  You will need upper body strength...
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:08:30 AM »
Good job.  I'd recommend just getting it all over with in as short a period as the doc will allow.  Either both in the same event, or both within 6 weeks.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 04:30:59 PM »
The shoulder will deffinately be healed before my hip surgeries.  Dr Marwin's office is checking that out for me.  Th doctor says that he would do it all in one day but my initial thought is to do the two hips separately.  Think I might reconsider that and do them together.  I have lots of time to decide on that one.  I also still have to talk to Dr SU about all of this.  I know that Dr SU is one of the rock stars of HR but is there any real difference here or is it like buying a Mustang vs a Camaro?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:43:14 AM by Woodstock hippy »

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »
One more thing to consider is that Dr Marwin who I like and who I think is very confident in his skills is 100% covered by my insurance.  Dr Su is not but will be covered 80% after a $500 deductible by my out-of-network coverage, so he would cost me almost $9000.  If I go see him and decide that Dr Marwin is the guy for me then the visit is just cash out of pocket since it will be part of the deductible.

GIBLET88

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 07:39:19 PM »
Did you confirm what your insurance company's customary and reasonable rate is for out of network surgery in zip code 10021 for an inpatient procedure; CPT code 27130?

Perhaps Dr Su's office will work with your insurance.
Did Dr Su's office quote you a surgical fee yet?
I believe Dr Su accepts Medicare which reimburses quite low for hip resurfacing.

Is the hospital and anesthesiologist in network?

The reason I ask is because I am in a similar situation as you although I am not having surgery for a while.
Dr Marwin and Clarke (Syracuse) are in network for me but Dr Su is not. I have received e mail consults from both but have not met either yet.
There are only several cases of Dr Marwin posted on this site and Dr Su seems to get all the hype. What was your impression of Dr Marwin? If he gave you confidence of  knowledge and surgical skills, you are probably fine with him as your surgeon. I am also a bit confused by the anterior vs posterior approach but would prefer posterior.
Many people do not have the luxury of several experienced resurfacing surgeons in one city.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 06:02:52 AM »
What I like about Dr Marwin is that he is not all all business guy.  He came into the room, looked at the X rays,sat down and talked to me about hip resurfacing, himself and his technique.  He told me that 90 per cent of surgeons in the USA use the posterior method because that's the way they were taught.  He said that once he learned the Antirior in England, I think, he realized that it was easier and eliminated problems.  He also said that in over 900 hi resurfacings, he has never had a problem.  Dr Marwin is also a local guy who grew up my same town on Long Island.

Both hospitals are covered completely. I received a price of $17,00 per side from Dr SU.  My out of network pays 80% of customary cost so I have to check that out.  My cost could be higher than I thought with Dr Su.

double trouble

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 11:20:45 AM »
I had Bilateral same day with Dr Marwin in September 2010. Your impressions of him are totally correct he took lot of time explaining any questions I had never rushed me and did a great procedure.
I believe Dr Marwin and Dr Su are the 2 top resurfacing men in NYC. If you choose Dr Marwin and go bilateral, discuss entering Rusk acute rehab that is located the hospital.
PS I  also grew up in Plainview.

GIBLET88

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 12:50:20 PM »
It's good to know that you both were impressed with Dr Marwin. I will most likely consult Dr Su first, see if he is the right surgeon for me and find out the details of my customary and reasonable fee schedule for 1 hip resurfacing.
17K for the surgical fee sounds quite steep and is most likely significantly more than most insurance companies will reimburse for this out of network procedure.

My B/C policy bases CPT code reimbursement on a percentage of the Medicare Allowable customary and reasonable fee schedule which is roughly only $1400. My policy then pays approx 350% of this fee bringing it into the $4700 ball park. This is considered an excellent premium policy and it's not even close to the fee you were quoted. The question is, would Dr Su's office accept your policy's customary and reasonable.

Dr Marwin is sounding better already. Glad you were impres ed with him. The anterior posterior approach has been written about extensively and most of the top surgeons use the posterior approach. That doesn't make anterior worse but I would ask both docs the pros and cons from their perspective

moe

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 05:47:06 PM »
I had both hips done at once and never regretted it, get it done and over with. The rehab and and recovery is a bit harder but it's one and done.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Anniee

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 08:50:06 PM »
17K does sound like an awful lot!  If I remember correctly, Dr. Gross charges about $6-7K, and works on his fees with people who do not have insurance.  Perhaps some of it has to do with the difference between practicing in New York and South Carolina?

Most of the top surgeons do use the posterior approach (which is really more from the side than from the back).  I think there is a greater risk of nerve damage with the anterior approach.  I think the most important thing is to find a doctor that you have confidence in, check out his/her record (are there any female resurfacing surgeons?), and then make your decision based on the doctor's record and the confidence you feel in the doctor and his staff.
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Hummer

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 09:08:28 PM »
I just had my left hip resurfaced by Dr. Marwin on July 9th.  I just love the guy, he and his office staff are extremely very very nice and helpful.  I was bone on bone and in lots of pain, couldn't sleep at night.  After me and my wife met with Dr. Marwin, I wanted him to be my surgeon.  Since I was in lots of pain I wanted to go for surgery right away.  Dr. Marwin was pretty booked for few months, but he told his office manager Diane to get me in ASAP one way or the other.  I was in the surgery room with in 26 days.  July 9th was on Saturday, Dr. Marwin came to talk to me before surgery and I went in so happy with no fear at all.  Dr. Marwin is just so amazing and down to earth, I would recommend him 100%.
LBHR July 9, 2011 / Dr. Marwin

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 04:40:29 AM »
Double Trouble,  I'm thinking that I should have both done together.  How long did you stay at Rusk?  Was it covered by your insurance?  Were you able to walk ot of there?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:41:04 AM by Woodstock hippy »

double trouble

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »
I would do both, Marwin is one of a few select doctors that will do it. I was in surg recovery and rehab weds-sat then Sun thru Fri acute rehab. It was covered by my insurance. Make sure you let Marwin know you want acute rehab at rusk. it has to be set up immediately after surgery to get approval.
When I left I was on crutches,was able to go up and down 2 flights of stairs and went for short walks outside the hospital.
I was driving in 4 weeks and returned to work in 8 weeks (needed crutches for most of that time). Was in outpatient rehab for 3+ months with copy, then they stopped coverage.
Do not want to minimize the rehab it is hard work, but after going thru the surgery the idea of going back for another surgery and rehab for the other side would not be my choice.
Good Luck, I am happy to answer any questions you might have, it important you know all you can.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat