+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip resurfacing to THR during surgery  (Read 2252 times)

Aerial

Hip resurfacing to THR during surgery
« on: August 20, 2011, 07:55:22 AM »
How many people have gone into surgery hoping for a hip resurfacing and ending up with a THR?  If you received a THR, what was found during surgery that prevented hip resurfacing?  Has this happened with anyone who has used Dr. Gross?  It just dawned on me that if this happens your doctor better be pretty skillful at THRs also.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: Hip resurfacing to THR during surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 12:53:35 PM »
I asked my surgeon, Dr. Pritchett in Seattle, how often he had to change to a THR after starting an HR procedure.  He said he had never had to change in over 2600 HRs he has done. 

I suspect that the more experienced doctors can handle more difficult HRs and can also figure out which patients are not good candidates beforehand.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

jjmclain

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 12:58:55 PM »
My surgeon also told me that there is always the possibility that it could end up as a THR, but when I asked him how often that happened for him, he said never. So I agree with Dan's point of view. You need to be prepared for the possibility, but most surgeons recognize what they can and can't handle regarding resurfacing prior to surgery.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 01:12:25 PM »
I agree with Dan, oh and Pritchett said the same thing to me.  Ask Gross and see what he says, I bet he may say the same thing.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

pjh1765

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 02:09:12 PM »
I was also given the same warning pre-op, but I honestly feel they need to to inform you of this possibility just as a precaution.  In my case, there were some cysts on the femoral head as detected by my MRI and X Ray and if those cysts (or holes) were either too large or in the way of the planned BHR, a THR would be necessary.
Left BHR 6/22/11 Dr. Lannin - Stanford Univ. Hospital

FlbrkMike

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 08:59:16 PM »
My surgeon also gave me the same warning, but told me he had never had to switch.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Anniee

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 08:10:45 PM »
Dr. Gross told me the same thing, but that the possibility of his having to switch to THR was practically non-existent.  I don't remember if he told me if he ever had to perform an unplanned THR.  It was not something I was concerned about, once he told me he would have no problem performing the resurfacing surgery on me.  If you are worried, ask him during your appointment.  All the resurfacing surgeons also do THR's, which is technically much less difficult than resurfacing.  I don't think you need to be at all concerned whether Dr. Gross has the necessary skills to do a THR.
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 10:10:44 PM »
Dr. Gross said it happened to him once that he had to switch and it was for something very unusual with that patient. I can't remember if he told me what the reason was. I didn't ask him about it, he just mentioned it when we were talking during my pre-op visit. He knows going into surgery what the patient's bone is like. Like Annie, I was not at all concerned about it. I didn't even think about it when I woke up. 
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear