+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dr Su  (Read 32367 times)

silky

Dr Su
« on: August 20, 2011, 11:34:55 PM »
I wanted to know peoples experience with Dr Su at HSS in NYC and their results with hip resurfacing.  I am an avid golfer and swim for exercise.  Would love to get back to playing tennis as well.  I would love to hear and and all positive and negative experiences if there are any.  Having knee pain and pain in my leg as well and don't know if this is normal and from my hip.  Contemplating having my right hip done soon and wondering if I should get an opinion form Dr Gross in South Carolina.  Don't know about the cemented vs. cementless implant for the femoral head

Thanks

obxpelican

Re: Dr Su
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 11:52:35 PM »
You're going to get Dr. Gross patients telling you to go to him and vice versa with Dr. Su patients.

Go with Dr. Gross, he's a much better doctor, there I said it!  LOL  <JK>

Ok, all kidding aside, those two doctors are arguably the top two hip doctors in the country and certainly rank in the top 10 in the world IMHO.

Talk to them both, see what you think, you can't go wrong either way.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 01:03:58 AM »
Not too argue too much with you Chuck but I would like to nominate Dr. Pritchett in the top three US HR surgeons along with those two.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

silky

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:05:08 AM »
Hi Chuck,

Do you live close to Dr Gross or did you travel a distance.  If so what is that like.  How long did you stay in SC and how was the traveling and the post op period being so far away if you were.  Do you have a cemented femoral head?  How active are  you now?  Thanks

obxpelican

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:42:13 AM »
I live in Pittsburgh, PA, it was a pretty long drive.  Out of town patients do their face to face with Dr. Gross on Tuesday, operation Wednesday and you are discharged Friday.  We got there Monday.

The hospital is small, easy to get around and your family can stay right across the parking lot of the hospital where you get "Dr. Gross rates".  Dr. Gross has a floor for his patients and he pretty much picks his nurses who know his protocol.

I got the uncemented femoral head, I am very active. 

As to traveling post op, I actually drove from mid Virginia to almost the PA/WVA line and I was fine.  Traveling for me was really no big deal, although when I first considered travel for surgery most people thought I was nuts and sometimes I did thought same.

Finding the most experienced surgeon is VERY important to insure a good result, travel if you have to many of us did it and were fine.

Here's a kind of blog I put together after my recovery ended, it was put together from Emails I exchanged with other patients and patients to be.  Scroll down and you will find it easily.

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=1055.msg6307#msg6307

Good luck to who ever you go to, LOL I won't get mad if you choose someone else I just want to make sure you end up with a positive result, Dr. Gross is one of a number of surgeons that people end up doing really well with.

And Dan, yes, I've read lots of good things about your doctor and no, you were not being argumentative at all.

Chuck

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:05:16 AM by obxpelican »
Chuck
8-6-08

John C

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 03:11:26 PM »
Hi Silky,
I thought that I would chime in on the questions you asked Chuck.
I believe that most of Dr. Gross's patients travel from out of state, so it is very doable. I flew all the way from Hawaii for the surgery, and flew to Idaho for my initial recovery. If you fly; book first class seats even if you normally would not (the airlines will often give you a bulkhead seat if you explain), take advantage of the wheel chair service through any big airports and arrange it ahead of time through the airline (I went through three different airports, the one in Columbia is very nice and easy to navigate). Whether you are traveling by car or by plane, do the "ankle pump" exercises a lot to prevent blood from pooling around your ankles, and ice and elevate whenever you can. As Chuck said, there is a nice hotel right across the parking lot from the hospital. After surgery, I chose to stay for two extra days at another hotel run by the same company that is a couple of blocks away, and has nice suites with a kitchen and living area.
As for your other question; I have an uncemented femoral head, and am pretty active: skiing 8 hours a day, every day, all winter; and playing tennis, surfing, and windsurfing everyday all summer. Resurfacing is all about being able to return to an active lifestyle.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

silky

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »
Thanks so much for the information.  Still haven;t heard form any of Dr Su's patients. If there are any out there please respond.  NYC is much closer for me and I understand that he has  done a lot of these procedures but I think he cements the femoral head.  As far as Dr Gross's patients how was the follow up done?  Any return visits to see the doctor?  Thanks again

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 10:43:33 PM »
Silky,

Two of the best surgeons in the world, like Chuck said. You won't go wrong using either one. And I am also nuts, because I rode in a car from Pennsylvania to South Carolina and back. I am a bilat, had both done the same week and still was able to ride in a car 600 miles back home. It was not bad at all. We split the drive home into two days. I was on some good meds and had ice on me the whole time. Both of my legs swelled, but nothing that bad and I was not in any pain at all. I was more uncomfortable driving and riding six weeks later when I went back to S.C. for my 6 week check up. Why did I ride in a car instead of fly? I don't mind driving or riding long distances and it was a lot less expensive that way. It's just a personal choice.

Also, Providence Hospital Northeast, where my surgery was done, has all private rooms and someone can stay in the same room free. The rooms are big and there is a sofa bed. My wife was very comfortable and didn't mind it at all. She didn't want to stay in a hotel by herself.

Dr. Gross prefers to see his patients at six weeks unless it is just not doable. If not, that's O.K., just send x-rays to him. If there are any problems or concerns, his office has a doc on call after hours. I used the service once because my bandage got water under it on day 5. The response from the on call doc was very timely and he was very helpful and friendly. He was another orthopedic surgeon in Dr.Gross' group. I received a follow up call about an hour later to make sure I was alright. They won't just send you home and forget about you even though you are a long distance patient.

Dr. Gross does all of his femoral heads uncemented. I have two and I am returning to a very active life. Having cemented or uncemented is a personal choice. Only you can make that decision. Ask all the questions you want here, you'll get lots of help.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

russell

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 11:09:06 PM »
hi there. this is my first post. i travelled from Houston to have a bilat. BHR 5 months ago with Dr. Su. Nothing but good things to say about him and ALL his staff as well as HSS. I am a Physical Therapist and did my careful research. I am doing great. I had absolutely no problems post-op. playing tennis again now. No regrets so far. If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to attempt an answer.

jackmac32

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 08:15:29 AM »
Hi,
I went to Dr. Su 2 years ago this October.  Can't say enough about him and the hospital..(I believe its ranked as top 1 or 2 in the country).  Dr Su was outstanding and his record speaks for itself.  I live about 100 miles away, so the trip was easy.  Any questions, I'm at john.macneil@optum.com

silky

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 11:11:57 AM »
Hi People,

What do you think about the NY Times article today?  Have any of you had post op metal levels checked or had any issues with the metal on metal issues? Can't post the link but it is from Today's NY Times Tuesday August 23td, 2011.

Thanks

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 11:40:37 AM »
Silky-

There is another thread that talks about this article specifically.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

silky

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 12:38:56 PM »
Thanks Dan,

I'll Look for that one

sootie

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 02:26:45 PM »
hi sootie hear.

regards nytimes article i had an asr done in june 2008 although metal ion levels are up cb  150  ch  135 i am in no pain.the thing that made me wonder was the part about the rash.for some reason i was of the opinion that the rash if any one had one was in the grneral direction of the scar i noticed a rash appeared on the balls of both feet although the right one seems to be getting better the left one (resurfaced side)is not it starts out with blisters then breaks into a sore.am i reading to much into this or do i have cause for concern.getting my right hip done next month

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 02:57:26 PM »
Hi Sootie, have you talked to your surgeon about it?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

John C

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 03:06:53 PM »
Hi Silky,
Regarding the article; note that it says that 75% of the complaints were related to ASR devices. This is a known issue, and confirms that not all devices and surgeons are equal.
Replying to your other question. I did have my ions tested at two years just for personal assurance, even though Dr. Gross said it was unnecessary. I was delighted that the Chromium came back at 1.3 ug/l. The report noted that anything up to 1.4 was in the normal range, referring to people without metal implants, so I was pretty happy about that. I would have to guess that this level is not unusual for Dr Gross's patients with Biomet devices.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

sootie

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 02:50:41 PM »
Hi Sootie, have you talked to your surgeon about it?

hernanu

will be talking to him before my op on 29th sept needless to say i am a bit anxious about my 2nd hip op,after the disappointment of the asr,concerned about new implant twinlock system and marathon acetabular cup. according to my surgeon having good feedback about the implant hope he's right sootie

silky

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 07:51:18 PM »
Looking for more of Dr Su's patients and how they are doing post op.  Anyone have the experience of being scheduled for a resurfacing and wake up with a total joint? 

obxpelican

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 08:31:59 PM »
That's really rare with the experienced doctors.

Chuck
Chuck
8-6-08

russell

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 08:38:16 AM »
re: Silky's concern about awakening post-op with THA instead of resurfaced hip: Concur with Chuck.

I think the odds of being struck by lightning on the way to your appointment are greater than the scenario you mention-especially if, in the case of an experienced surgeon, the possibility of this happening wasn't tabled by him. It would most likely be something known in advance as a possibility and discussed with you. Very rare event I expect.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat