+-

Author Topic: Dr Su  (Read 29641 times)

silky

Re: Dr Su
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 02:35:47 AM »
Looking form more of Dr's Su's patients out there if there are any and their experiences. 

So far nothing but good stuff which is wonderful to hear going into the surgery.  Any exercises pre-op that might help?  Any advice on getting your house ready for the post op period?  Any pearls for PT or rehab?  Normally swim but nervous about health clubs and pools and MRSA etc.  Thanks

Silky

silky

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 01:45:37 AM »
Still looking for more of Dr Su's patients that are post op and their experiences.  Want to know about golfing specifically and how long it took to get back and feel "normal"  Nervous about swimming post op and MRSA.  Anyone do aquatic therapy post op?  Thanks

russell

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 03:13:40 AM »
Silky;
I don't believe that Pre-op  exercises are always "required", but in my opinion they can be helpful and only require 5 min. or so each time you do them. Realistically, you don't need to make a career out of it. As a physio and a bilateral resurf. I would say that spending at least a month or two (3x weekly) working your your hip abductors (both sides!) against resistance (rubber tubing) would be a good idea. If you are able to work them in a standing position, that is preferred since in our everyday activities, that is the position we most frequently find ourselves in. (Post-op, it's a completely different story-especially early on. You'll be doing mat exercises then). Of course, I don't know your current personal situation so you should be assessed appropriately before beginning any program. Also, it wouldn't hurt to do some arm strengthening, especially triceps.  You will use your arms a lot post-op with and without your crutches to assist in moving around and getting up and down from bed, chairs, etc.. You will appreciate having stronger arms to compensate for less-than-ideal leg strength, especially in the first 2-4 weeks.

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 05:00:02 AM »
Silky-

I agree with Russell that pre-op exercises are not required.  But I would say it would be highly advisable to do as much training like those exercises he mentions.  This will make recovery quicker and more enjoyable (or less unenjoyable).

I was told I could go back to swimming as soon as my incision was totally healed.  At around 3 weeks I went back to the pool.  I started with aqua jogging which feels great.  It works those walking/running muscles without the pounding.  And I also started swimming with a pull buoy.  Because I have the 90 degree restriction for 6 weeks I have to do open turns rather than flip turns.  It was a little awkward/scary turning and pushing off the wall but that got easier after 4-5 sessions.

MRSA is a nasty disease for sure.  It can enter the body through openings in the skin like abrasions and cuts.  That is why you have to wait until your incision is totally healed before going in a tub, pool, or jacuzzi.  I always keep some StaphaSeptic from Tec Labs around for when I do get a scrape or cut.

Best wishes.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

silky

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 03:04:15 AM »
Thanks for the good advice

Silky

mellord

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 12:50:42 AM »
I see you are still looking for some Su reports?  I am an extremely happy customer. Four years post-resurfacing, I haven't had any pain, immobility, anything that would suggest that there once was a very impaired joint down there.
I rock and ice climb at a high level (5.11 trad / WI5) - professional guiding, included. I can jog down boulder-strewn trails, carry a heavy winter pack, put my foot in places it hasn't reached in twenty years.
Dr. Su was personable, responsive to my questions and emails - excellent in every way. If any climbers out there are interested in chatting, let me know.
Don Mellor

silky

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 01:40:07 AM »
Dear Dan,

Thanks so much.  So great to hear your story.  My surgery is next week and I am anxious to say the least.  I know that I can't go on like this as since i was in a car accident in January my right hip has gotten so bad that I limp and have pain almost all the time now. I 'm a golfer and haven't been able to play at all.  How long did it take for you to return to work and activities?  How long were you on crutches?  If it was your right hip how long before you were able to drive?  How long before you felt really good? 

I don't live in NYC and don't know if I should stay a few days after the surgery or just go home form the hospital.  Did you have pain in your knee as well from your hip?  Thanks for fielding my questions and again so great to hear a good story.  I feel good about Dr Su and confident that he will do a great job for me too.  I am looking forward to feeling good again.  Best regards

Mitch

DGossack

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 04:57:03 AM »
Mitch-

Fortunately I was able to start working from my computer within a couple of days.  Granted it was from the easy chair and included frequent naps and walks.  I was back in the office part time three weeks after surgery.

I was on two crutches for only a couple of days around the house and about two weeks for longer walks.  Then one crutch for about a week. Finally a cane for about two weeks.

I had my left hip done and drove an automatic after three weeks.  I changed to my manual transmission after six weeks with no problem.

Weeks five and six really started to feel more normal.  There are long periods now when I forget about my hip.

I had pain in my knee before surgery caused by my hip.  I have pain in my knee now as I work the new mechanics of my hip.

I was released 32 hours after surgery and rode two hours in a car.  Tin was released after 29 hours and rode 6 plus hours home.

You can read more details than you wanted to know on my blog, fullmetalhip.wordpress.com.

Best wishes.

Dan

stano

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 10:58:49 PM »
Dan,
How deep of water did you run in?  Was this a temporary thing or a steady workout?
thanks, take care,

stano

Vicky

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 11:51:33 PM »
Hi Mitch,

I am not a Dr. Su patient but I can tell you that I have met in person many of his patients that rave about him.  I know Pat has a section of patients that went to him on this site and I do as well on mine.  Dr. Su uses the proven BHR device which has been around now for over 14 years, actually over 20 years if you count the first prototype.  And HSS has one of the lowest infection rates of any US hospital which should also be a huge consideration.  If I would have chosen to stay in the U.S. to have my surgery, I personally would have only gone to Dr. Su.  He is a very talented and gifted surgeon IMO.  You will be in excellent hands.  Golf will be a piece of cake for you, but please follow the docs instructions and do not return to anything too early on.  Please keep in mind that the inventor of the BHR device which is considered the Father of Modern day hip resurfacing, Derek McMinn still suggests waiting a full year prior to doing any heavy impact sports like running, etc.  Look at it as a one year investment in the rest of your life.  Derek McMinn doesn't have a 98% overall success rate after 12 or 13 years for nothing.

Vicky

DGossack

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 01:06:59 AM »
Stano-

I actually did deep water running 25 years ago whenever I would have a leg injury that prevented me from running.  It is a great workout that keeps running muscles firing.

I am running in any water  in which I can't touch the bottom.  I go for about 30 minutes with a running motion with arms and legs.  My chin is right at the water level.

I also tried running in the "lazy river" at my gym.  It is just over a meter deep.  This is going to be a great workout also.

I figure I will be doing these two exercises at least until I am cleared to run outside. 

Dan

Nemesis

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2011, 04:06:03 AM »
I was operated by doctor Su on 06/06/11. I had horrific bone growth in the muscle from a prior surgery and bone on bone hip. I had a bad limp and in pain all the time if I moved around.  Also I had lost almost all movement in my hip. I could not lay my leg down flat on a bed without extreme pain.  Dr. Su said he had only seen the level of bone growth in the muscle 3 other times and that was with hip replacements.

I went slow with the rehab as I was terrified I would harm myself as I am a brute. I can now bring my knee to my chest and walk without pain. I tried out the hip as far as sports and i was in no pain or soreness. I can put my foot on my opposite knee but I am working on bringing the knee closer to my groin.

I would be happy to answer any direct questions you may have.

silky

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2011, 08:42:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply and glad to hear you are doing so well.  I just had my hip resurfaced by Dr Su this past Saturday the 24th and got home in 2 days from the hospital.  HSS was great and the care there topnotch.  I am just starting my journey back after an injury from a car accident and am so glad to be on the other side of the surgery.  I am just nervous about falling and trying to wean myself off of the heavy pain medications as best I can.  Talk to you soon and thanks for sharing your story.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2011, 11:44:36 PM »
silky

Glad to hear you are home and doing well.  Dr. Su is one of the best.  Take it easy and Thanks for giving us an update.   Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

silky

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2011, 01:36:59 PM »
Thanks Pat,

I wouldn't have ever know about  hip resurfacing if not for my friend Neil and would likely have never found Dr Su if not for you.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and advice.  I am glad that I started this tread about Dr Su as well so other patients can see how wonderful a person he is and how great HSS is as well.   Talk to you soon

Mitch

apx_31088

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2011, 01:16:59 PM »
Regarding waking up with THA instead of resurfacing:
     I was scheduled for resurfacing with Dr Gross in August 2010.  He said that because I had been bone-on-bone for more than 20 years (resulting in lots of heterotropic bone growth) that he would have the THA parts on hand in the operating room in case resurfacing was found not to not viable.
     I woke up after the surgery, and I asked the attending nurse if the operation was a resurfacing or a THA.  She examined the records and said it looked like a THA.
     When I met Dr Gross several hours later, he told me that resurfacing was done.  Not a THA.  Later, I saw the xray . . . NOT a THA!
      Because of the messy hip situation, I was 90% non-weightbearing for 6 weeks after the surgery.  After that, I've been wide open for anything (except told to wait one year before horseback riding, which I followed).  Now I'm riding horses, but the other hip sure hurts.  Gross saw the arthritis on that other hip at the one-year followup, and he said it was a candidate for surgery.  Scheduled for next resurfacing in December with Gross.  The operated (left) hip has never, ever had pain since surgery.  Was driving two days after surgery with no limits or accomodations.  Just a little slower getting in and out of the car . . . a very little bit slower.

silky

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »
Great news and so happy for you.  To have that in the back of your mind before surgery is difficult and to have such a great result is the goal.  Have heard nothing but wonderful things about Dr Gross.   My right foot is the one I had done so no driving for me for some time.  Not sure I would feel comfortable driving if it was my left anyway.  One week today and feeling much better.  Went 7 hours without pain yesterday but then did a little too much and kicked my butt last night.  Doing my PT at home and able to go up and down stairs without a problem.  Looking forward to having my x-ray in a month and moving on to the next phase of my rehab.  Can;t wait to golf in the spring.  Haven't touched a club at all this year due to the pain and miss it a lot.  Always great to hear good stories.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Mitch

jon

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2011, 01:06:48 PM »
Bad right hip since 2004.  Too many marathons and one Hawaii Ironman.  Male, 48, 160 lbs.  Just booked a BHR with Dr. Su for Dec. 27th.  Merry Christmas!

Any comments, suggestions, experiences greatly aprreciated and valued.

Have two young kids and hoping to chase them around for many years...

Jon

ps: Love the site and has had so much influence on my whole thinking/plan! Thank you to all contributors.

hernanu

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2011, 09:25:07 PM »
Welcome Jon - good choice for the doctor and a great decision to have the resurfacing. Looks like a good holiday present for you. I think there's plenty of good advice here, and things will keep coming up in your mind, so don't be shy about posting, we've all been there and can help.

Only overall things I can give as advice:

• Patience. Both before and after, most folks here are take the bull by the horns types, apply that to patience with your body and yourself.
  • Ice and ice again afterwards, elevate and in general remember that no matter how great you feel, your body needs help in getting better.
  • Strengthen your core. It will definitely help recovery.
  • Keep after your doctor / nurse /etc. for information at any time you feel like it - they're working for you.
  • Let the ones you love help you. It will make things easier on you mentally and overall, and it will help them.

Welcome again.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 09:25:46 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

silky

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 02:19:46 AM »
Hi Jon,

I am almost a month post op.  Be glad to answer and questions I can that are appropriate for my post-op state.  Firstly, the care at HSS was phenomenal and Dr Su is wonderful.  Really genuine and everyone and I mean everyone raves about him.   Do the home rehab religiously and from the moment you get to recovery move your legs with ankle pumps and the exercises that they let you do.  Moving right away is critical to getting out of bed and out of the hospital.

The better shape you are in prior to the surgery the easier it will be for you as well.  If you have any specific questions for me just write them and I will try to help. I know making this decision isn't easy as several of the local docs for me tried to dissuade me from resurfacing but I am happy with my decision.  Good luck

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats