+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: One Year Anniversary w/ Dr. Snyder  (Read 6447 times)

hernanu

One Year Anniversary w/ Dr. Snyder
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:06:40 AM »
On my left hip.... I expect high fives, stomach bumps (as high as you can jump, within restrictions, only if your PT says it's ok  ;D ).

Feeling great on the left hip, really good overall. I had my ~1 year once over with Dr. Snyder, everything looks perfect, the only thing lagging is that apparently one of my muscles on the right hip is not strong enough, so need to work on that. It only shows when I balance, so I bought some juggling balls and am practicing juggling while balancing on that foot.

Overall, and I can't believe I'm saying this about major surgery, it is the best thing I've done for myself. The erasing of pain and limitations from my life has been a real healing experience. I have improved greatly from both a physical and emotional perspective.

I am normally reserved about promoting this for people despite being a strong backer of HR, since I believe each person has to make up their own minds at their own pace, but I'll take this post to encourage anyone who is in the kind of pain I knew and in the mind set that I was in to take that step, this has been an incredible boon for me.

Off the pulpit without any pain.

I was talking to a friend of mine whose wedding I was in about a year before my first, and remembered that during the reception all of the ushers had to jump up on a stage about a foot off the ground in front of the whole wedding crowd - the other ushers jumped right up and I jumped as well, but blanched in pain when I got up and almost didn't make it. Then I had to jump down later, very nasty - today, I plan to do the same jump somewhere in celebration. I just have to find a wedding and crash it  ::)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 05:58:49 PM by Pat Walter »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

jjmclain

Re: One Year Anniversary !!!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 07:50:11 AM »
Congrats Hernanu!!! I am so happy for you! I totally echo your words...my one year anniversary will be in November. I am feeling so great that it already feels like a year...it is unbelievable! Keep up the good work and thank you for your inspirational post!

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:12:46 AM »
Thanks jj, glad you're doing so well, we'll celebrate another one year anniversary (my right) together then.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 10:42:29 AM »
Congratulations Hernanu!  My restrictions require a high-5.

I am already planning events to celebrate milestones.  I can already tell this is going to give me my active life back.

Also thanks for your support of future hippies as well.  They need voices like ours to balance all the negative press out there on MoM HR.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:46:16 AM »
Thanks Dan, liked your response on that article.

moe

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »
Congratulations Hernan, may you have many more years.

moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 12:08:36 PM »
Thanks Moe, just trying to keep pace with you more experienced hippies.

FlbrkMike

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 12:14:04 PM »
Hi Hernan, congratulations on your first year.  Keep trying to wear it out (I hope it lasts you at least another 50 years).
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

got2newhips

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »
Glad to hear that you're doing great!!  Go crash a wedding somewhere and jump around - you need a do-over now that you're back in the game!!!

Richard
LH Biomet Uncemented - Dr. Gross/Lee Webb 7/25/2011
RH Biomet Uncemented - Dr. Gross/Lee Webb 7/27/2011

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 01:12:38 PM »
Thanks Mike, I hope to leave my Comets on for a good long time.

Richard, you've got it, I expect to get video for proof. Shouldn't your name be got2newhips now?

Luann

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 01:20:54 PM »
Conrats!
 Thanks for the update!! I know how excited you are. Too bad mosh (sp?) pits aren't as popular as they once were... now THAT would be a test for HR!  Here's to happy healing with the other hip!  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

bothdone

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 01:40:28 PM »
Congrats Hernanu.   I've never done a stomach bump but for you I'll make an exception.  ) (

May you have many more years of anniversaries.

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 02:00:04 PM »
Mosh pits.... what a cool thought...  8) Thanks Lu.

Awesome stomach bump Ed.

got2newhips

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 12:29:54 AM »
Hey Hernanu, be sure to post the video!!  Guess you're right - probably should change the old handle now..... ;D

Richard
LH Biomet Uncemented - Dr. Gross/Lee Webb 7/25/2011
RH Biomet Uncemented - Dr. Gross/Lee Webb 7/27/2011

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 10:19:55 AM »
Will do if I can get one before I get thrown out.

Hippychick

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 12:54:33 PM »
CONGRATS!!!  That is so wonderful to hear!!!  I know what you mean about starting to realize I can't do half the things I once did.   I think I have finally "ACCEPTED" that this is what it is and I can either do something about it or become more disabled...I am thinking maybe November as it will be my birthday and what better gift to give myself!!  I still have lots of questions and am not totally sure how to navigate through these threads, etc.   So bare with me...am going to throw them out there and can't wait to hear back from you all...here goes:
1)  I saw many recommendations about finding a dr. who has performed at least 500, I had never even considered going out of state, how does that work with insurance?
2)  was thinking of taking on a 2nd policy with my husband's insurance, how does that work?
3)  What kind of scars do people have?  From my arthroscopy I just had two small "puncture" marks, barely noticable...
4)  Do these top Dr's people have seen have to have referrals from your Primary dr.?  How does that work?
5)  There are several Dr's in Missouri I have googled that do this, does anybody have recommendations in Missouri?

I have to plan this down to the penny with my cafeteria plan and all, so want to make sure I cover all my bases~thanks to all of you again for your heartfelt stories and encouragement.   I honestly don't think I would be thinking about this if I hadn't found this site!!!   THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU AND BLESS YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »
I was very fortunate to find one of the top surgeons who was in a neighboring state but a preferred provider.  If you have a primary care physician they can certainly help by referring you to the surgeon of your choice.  I have wondered if you couldn't make the argument with your insurance that they are better off working with one of the most experienced surgeons because this procedure has higher failure rates with inexperienced ones.

My scar is about seven inches.  You can see a poll on this site that shows the various sizes.  Really the scar is the least of your worries unless you are a model for skimpy swimsuits or underwear.   ;)

I went up to my maximum out of pocket, $5,000, with my high-deductible plan.  The insurance covered the other $35,000.

Best wishes as you continue your journey.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 10:22:39 PM »
CONGRATS!!!  That is so wonderful to hear!!!  I know what you mean about starting to realize I can't do half the things I once did.   I think I have finally "ACCEPTED" that this is what it is and I can either do something about it or become more disabled...I am thinking maybe November as it will be my birthday and what better gift to give myself!!  I still have lots of questions and am not totally sure how to navigate through these threads, etc.   So bare with me...am going to throw them out there and can't wait to hear back from you all...here goes:
1)  I saw many recommendations about finding a dr. who has performed at least 500, I had never even considered going out of state, how does that work with insurance?
2)  was thinking of taking on a 2nd policy with my husband's insurance, how does that work?
3)  What kind of scars do people have?  From my arthroscopy I just had two small "puncture" marks, barely noticable...
4)  Do these top Dr's people have seen have to have referrals from your Primary dr.?  How does that work?
5)  There are several Dr's in Missouri I have googled that do this, does anybody have recommendations in Missouri?

I have to plan this down to the penny with my cafeteria plan and all, so want to make sure I cover all my bases~thanks to all of you again for your heartfelt stories and encouragement.   I honestly don't think I would be thinking about this if I hadn't found this site!!!   THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU AND BLESS YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey hippychick, thanks for the nice words and congrats on having come to the decision. I don't know many of the Drs around there, but as far as some of the more well known ones, check the list that is on this site for the ones near you that make sense.

I actually looked up some of the Drs who have good reputations, and found some covered by my plan. I have a plan that does not require referral and so I can go to any doctors within the plan. Dr. Gross in S.Carolina is one option many people here have used, there is another good Dr. in Ohio, one in Boulder that several posters have had good luck with.

They look equidistant from Missouri, and I'm sure others will be able to come up with good doctors. My scars are about 6 inches in length, at this point they have faded significantly, so that although they are noticeable, they are not the attention getters that they were. I'll have to actually develop a personality to spark conversation now  :o

Good luck with your search, I hope to celebrate my anniversary and see a post detailing your successful procedure.

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 09:37:08 AM »
I didn't have any restrictions, except no contact sports until 1 year and no running until 6 months. As it worked out, I was unable to properly run until 10 months or so. I think your body lets you know what to do.

Plenty of others had some restrictions, as each doctor seems to have their own recovery protocol, so I made sure I paid attention here to the things that made sense, like being careful with crossing the legs early on.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 03:47:20 PM »
Hern - I must have missed your annivesary since I was in the hospital recovering from no. 2. 

Here's a fist bump!  I'm looking forward to feb when I can celebrate my left hip annivseary.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat