+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 7 weeks and counting  (Read 2170 times)

Groundhog

7 weeks and counting
« on: August 24, 2011, 11:56:49 AM »
7 weeks now since my right BHR. Recovery is astonishing. Ditched my crutches, walking without a limp as long as I concentrate. Working almost normally. Sometimes I forget I've had it done.
I have noticed that my right leg feels different from my left. I think this is because of the way I was compensating before the op as well as the trauma from the op. I find that to walk normally I have to think about how I walk. I try to make my right leg copy my left. Obviously I have some way to go yet before I am completely back to normal but I am already far better than I was before.
Thanks again for the all help and info I've got on here.

hernanu

Re: 7 weeks and counting
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
Excellent report! Remember how long your body had to learn to compensate, just be patient with it and the mechanics will come back to normal.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Luann

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 01:23:51 PM »
Yep, pretty normal GH. Keep on concentrating on it, and doing any PT you were given. Take slow walks with an even gait. It will come. Congrats, Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Anniee

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:45:13 PM »
Yes, I had to concentrate and think about what I was doing to walk normally too.  It feels a weird, because most people don't have to do that, but I guess it's perfectly normal after a surgery that either cuts through or somehow rearranges the muscles in your hip.  In my case, I still have to think about how I walk, but I believe it's more because my "old" hip is in bad shape, than because of my resurfaced hip.  Cannot wait to get the other one done!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

alpsters

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 03:00:21 AM »
GH, I am 7 weeks post op today. I too, limp still if I don't pay really careful attention and walk VERY slowly! It is especially an issue at the end of the day when I am tired. Though I ditched the cane a few days back, I am thinking about using it more when I walk more than a very short distance so I don't get back into a limp pattern again!! Been there, done that. I felt maybe I was healing very slowly and for a short time got a bit sad. The more I read though, the more I see that everyone heals in their own time frame. I personally suffered with pain and a bad limp for over 10 years before getting the surgery so I get that it's going to take a bit longer than others to heal up. let's be patient and loving to ourselves. My best to you and look forward to hearing about your healing process.

Boomer

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 02:55:49 PM »
The physical therapy clinic I go to uses mirrors on the wall to make recovering patients aware of their gait, and to enable them to learn how to walk normally again. Some patients continue to limp, but don't realize it until they see thenselves in the mirror. I'm not sure why it works, but was told visualizing was helpful with regaining stride and coordination.

Congratulations on your progress Groundhog.
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 12:19:19 PM »
The 6/7 week timeframe is when I really starting feeling strong with the walking.  Still a limp, but I felt like the acceleration in recovery sped up there for awhile.   3 more weeks and I should be there again. 

Can't wait to carry the weighted ball "baby" and do stepmaster at the PT's office soon, or "scrub the cruiser" while standing on the squishy hemisphere, or do the grapevine, or have the "big house" (gluts) massaged???,... PT has some funny terms, huh?

Thanks for posting.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hipnhop

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 08:48:38 PM »
Same here  the 6/7 week mark was when I really noticed, or maybe didn't notice, major change. From there it was all uphill. Great report. Keep it up.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 09:49:49 AM »
Hey hip - your second is coming up isn't it? When is it again?

alpsters

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 12:36:07 PM »
Hey y'all, i went to see s physical therapist the other day. I am just over 10 weeks out and still limping. I was very concerned that my body would continue to limp as it had done so for so long before surgery. Wanted to share that he pointed out there was NO limp when I walk backwards but significant limp walking forward. He has me walking backward on flat ground to help re-train my brain and body.  :)

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 02:39:01 PM »
The limp goes down alpsters, as your muscles get stronger. The important thing is to check that you're walking correctly so that your body relearns to walk well. Sounds like good progress, though!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 04:40:40 PM »
I just walked backwards on the treadmill at the PT's office today.  First time I had done that.  I have a tender area in the the front of my hip that is slow to recover.  Walking backwards doesn't have it.  My PT doesn't think it will last and it has definetely settled more since bike riding and not walking long distances early.  There are certain leg strengthening exercises that I do that I can tell are working to the area around it and I think it will go away with time.

Good job.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anniee

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 08:51:30 PM »
Tin, I have a tender area in the front of my hip also, almost 6 months after my first surgery.  I'm pretty sure it will go away eventually, as the muscles continue to heal.  In my case, I have not been able to walk as much as I probably should have, due to pain in my other hip.  I will try the backwards walking after my next surgery!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat