+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How fast did your hip "go"?  (Read 4967 times)

Aerial

How fast did your hip "go"?
« on: August 28, 2011, 12:05:52 PM »
I had a physical at my GP the other day and had the opportunity to see the first x-ray of my right hip.  This x-ray was taken in April 2010 and basically showed minor osteoarthritis changes in the hip.  Because I still had extreme pain and very poor ROM, after this x-ray I saw an orthopedist who eventually ordered an MRA study where it was found I had a severely torn labrum, a cyst and bone spurs.  I still had joint space however.  I ended up having arthroscopic surgery for the labral tear, cyst and bone spurs in 8/10.  Fast forward to July 2011 and another set of x-rays at my one year followup to arthroscopic surgery.  My hip is now about  2/3 bone on bone.  My question is, how fast did your hip go?  I went from still enough joint space to try hip arthroscope to bone on bone in about a year and five months.  That just seems really fast to me.  I am seriously looking forward to my appointment in a week and half with Dr. Gross and ready to get fixed for good hopefully.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: How fast did your hip "go"?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 04:04:34 PM »
Well I didn't get an early x-ray to know.  Once I was diagnosed I was already bone-on-bone in my left hip.

I have very early (read small) signs of arthritis in my right hip.  I was thinking it wouldn't progress quickly.  I hope that is the case.  I admire you bi-lats I just don't want to be one quite yet.  Just give me another decade or so on this right hip.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

wayne-0

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 05:51:42 PM »
I progressivly went downhill for 8 yrs. Slowly at first and than more quickly in the latter years. While technically I could not tell you how much less cartilage I had from year to year, physically I could tell how bad I was getting. The last 8-10 months prior to my surgery I went downhill very rapidly. It almost seemed I deteriorated those last months at such a rapid rate I could compare it to going downhill on a roller coaster. The great news is that life is really a pleasure to live again since surgery and I am active again in all the things I love in life from impact sports to playing freeze tag with the kids. Good luck with your future surgery and recovery.

Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

Luann

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 12:24:38 AM »
Hi Aerial,

Wow, yours does seem like it went fast. I suppose everyone is different. Mine took about 6-7 years from first "twinge" of pain to "can't stand it no longer!!"
 It did seem to me that it went downhill really fast the last six months before surgery. I even scheduled the HR once, then, (I was scared!) cancelled it when I had a few good days. Of course, right after those good days, it became horribly painful, and I was literally dragging my leg around. I rescheduled the surgery, and never looked back. Now I am a very happy camper! (and hiker, and horseback rider, and housecleaner... Yeah!)  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

gibbcutter

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 06:02:19 AM »
I was told in 1991 that I would need a new hip.  Got it done July 5, 2011.

Doug J

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 11:48:28 AM »
Hi Aerial,
My hip deteriorated slowly at first and then accelerated rapidly in the last 6 months before surgery. 
My first x-ray was in 2000 when the doctor told me I had the hips of someone in their 50s (I was in my mid 20s at the time).   In January, 2008, I had a left hip arthroscopy.  I also had a labral tear and bone spurs on my femoral head and acetabulum.  The arthroscopy relieved most of my pain but I knew it was a matter of time before I had major surgery.  Late last year, I saw the surgeon who performed the scope because my pain was increasing and I was continuing to lose range of motion.  He said that my two options were pain tolerance or a hip resurfacing / replacement.  He actually had his hip resurfaced and was encouraging about the process.  After that meeting, I thought I could last a few more years, as the pain wasn't that bad and I had just done a 100 mile bike ride, so could still keep in shape.  However, in February, everything in my hip accelerated.  Like wayne-O said, it was like I was on the downhill of a roller coaster.  The pain got much worse and my lateral range of motion was non-existent.  In about 5 months, I went from consistent cycling to barely being able to get through a pedal stroke without pain.  Everyone is different but I've talked to a few people whose hips deteriorated rapidly.  You'll have a lot more information about your situation after meeting with Dr. Gross.  All the best!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 12:07:17 PM »
I was like Dan, clueless until it was too late.  The pain wasn't that bad until I got a labral tear and then it really sucked.  That's when I went in for an x-ray and a ROM test.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Neild5

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 07:31:15 AM »
I was diagnosed in the spring of 93 with mild OA in both hips.  Nov. 2010 I took a trip to the USVI and did a lot of hiking and snorkeling.  In January I was walking with a cane and had the surgery the end of February.  So the final spiral was quick.
50 yo male left Biomet 2/28/11, right BHR 2/20/12

rbt2011

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 10:43:41 AM »
I am scheduled for surgery this November so keep in mind I haven't been fixed yet.  My timeline is similar to yours.  The difference in the joint space from X-rays taken in 2/2010 to 5/2011 are considerable. 

My pain started May 2009 with what I thought was a groin pull/strain.  I thought it would go away so I kept at running/MMA type training.

October 2009 went to Dr. and referred to Physical Therapy

December 2009 I failed PT and went for MRI.  Labral tear and osteophytes were found.

Februrary 2010 Hip scope and some bone spurs shaved off.  The scope decreased the pain until about May 2011 when I began having pain when walking.  Ever since May it has been getting really bad.  In June I had enough and I decided to have the surgery which was scheduled for November.   
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

sootie

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 01:29:09 PM »
i had my left hip resurfaced in 2008 after enduring groin pain for upwards of 4 years although i was told i had oa in the right hip i had no pain or discomfort untill recently(last May) i went from having no problems or pain to constant pain and very limited mobility in amatter of months,   got fed up taking meds and having no effect, so went to my surgeon he confimed oa had increased going for re-surf 29th sept  sootie

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 02:20:01 PM »
Well, it's good you'll get it fixed fairly soon, sootie.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 02:38:28 PM »
Mine has gone from being fine(Ie I was unaware of anything) to being at bone on bone inside a year! So it does happen! Hope your meeting with Dr Gross goes well! I hear he's fairly handy at HR.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 03:34:03 PM »
I first went to an orthopedic guy in 2007 with hip/groin pain.  He said, "You're not bone-on-bone yet."

I was in shock at the time, so I can't recall the X-ray.  I started taking Glucosamine, and the pain was gone for 3 years or so.  Last year, it started getting worse more frequently....mostly with the onset of frequent tennis playing.  But I definitely have been going bad more rapidly at the end.  I'm scheduled with Dr. Gross for January 11th, 2012.  You?
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

KirkM

• 50 is the new 49...
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 03:53:46 PM »
I am very similar to many here.  I went for a few years and it got just a bit worse every year.  Then, in less than a year, it tore itself apart.  It appears this type of thing can go years at a very slow deterioration rate and then crosses some point and jumps to a very rapid decline.  I imagine it as the body finally gives up the battle and the enemy overruns the battlefield.  Some have counted on the progression to be consistent and missed the window of opportunity for HR not realizing that the destruction of the bone had accelerated so much.

I'm 10 weeks out and haven't for a second regretted getting my hip done.
LBHR  Dr. Su   6/11/2011

Aerial

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 07:07:35 PM »
I first went to an orthopedic guy in 2007 with hip/groin pain.  He said, "You're not bone-on-bone yet."

I was in shock at the time, so I can't recall the X-ray.  I started taking Glucosamine, and the pain was gone for 3 years or so.  Last year, it started getting worse more frequently....mostly with the onset of frequent tennis playing.  But I definitely have been going bad more rapidly at the end.  I'm scheduled with Dr. Gross for January 11th, 2012.  You?

Technically penciled in for the first week in December.  It was nice they did that prior to me having my appointment.  I spoke with Lee about this.  I am a professor so winter break is good time to do it.  Did you specifically as for January or is his schedule that filled up already?
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

sfinrecovery

• Right Hip BHR November 8, 2010
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 03:38:15 AM »
Well, I had two labral repair arthroscopies in 2009 that left me in a lot of pain with painful limp and lousy quality of life.  It did not take too long to realize my joint was not getting any better.  It was not until I asked for more x-rays that the doctors realized I had developed avascular necrosis.  They sent me to an AN surgeon who performed the BHR within 10 months of the second hip arthoscopy...Now at 10 months after BHR I still have a painful limp with groin pain, getting in and out of the car, getting up from low seating areas, etc. Word is that something is not right, even after the BHR?  I am waiting for a cat-scan that will hopefully determined more carefully the actual state of the BHR to the femur.  Any other experiences about the hip "going" after the BHR? Thanks!

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 06:09:09 AM »
Two years ago I had pain in my right grin from running. MRI showed arthritis and a torn labrum.  Dr said to stop running and gave me cortisone.  Took up mountain bike racing.  This spring everything collapsed.  Bilateral HR scheduled for 11/15/11 with Dr Scott Marwin at NYU Joint Disease Hospital in NYC
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 06:44:10 AM »
Aerial - I picked January for insurance reasons.  Dr. Gross in "in-network" for me, as is the hospital.  If I did it in December, then 3 weeks later my rather large deductible re-sets.  If I wait until January, then the rest of 2012 healthcare is largely covered.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

MattBrunner

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 12:27:24 AM »
Aerial,

I am proof that someone can go from very active and in a little pain to not being able to walk a mile or do any of the things you love only after a few month.  Year ago I could play competitive Volleyball and only 6 months later onlly walking was painful.  I am only 43 years old and when I got to bone on bone the pain was worse from week to week.  If I ended up walking a lot during the day I couldn't sleep.

Now I am about 4 weeks Post Op after a LHR with Dr. Prichett and already able to walk 3 miles.  The feeling of not being in pain is too good to ever dream of living with the old hip.  All the best on your decision.

Matt

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 11:21:27 AM »
Matt-

You must have had your surgery with Dr. Pritchett almost the same time as I did.  I had mine August 1st.

I don't know if I have made it to 3 miles yet mostly because of time.  I am going to try today for an hour walk.

Are you in the Northwest?  TinSoldier and I have talked about having a NW Hippy meetup someday.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM