+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: TONIGHT............... I *RAN*..... WOW WOW WOW  (Read 3521 times)

23109VC

TONIGHT............... I *RAN*..... WOW WOW WOW
« on: August 30, 2011, 12:54:32 AM »
I'm just past the six month post op point....

Dr. Gross gave me the gk to start running or jogging and other sports at six months.  I"ve gone bike riding a couple times and that was great.  That giant pinching pain I would get as my left leg extended upward is GONE.  :) Very nice.  AFter that first bike ride, about a week or so ago, I also tried a short run.  My legs were tired from the bike ride...and my muscles felt weird... like they were trying to run, but they had forgotten how to do it...

I had to quit jogging about 5 years ago because of the pain..and really... I have not run at all in about that long.  Any attempt at really running was impossible.. before my surgery, all I was capable of was more like fast hobbling...  :)

Well a few nights ago I went out for another jog... I alternated between jogging and walking.  I swear at times I was kind of scared to jog just out of fear that "something" might break.. it was a very weird feeling to jog around and not feel pain.  I was excited to be moving that fast..but I never really got going at what I would call a full blown run.  When I got home my legs were tired...I could tell my muscles were still acclimating to moving that fast.  Whatever muscles are firing, or the way they are firing when you run is not the same as walking...  and my body is trying to learn to do it again.  The next day I had some minor stiffness or mild soreness in the tissue, but no joint pain or anything.  It felt really good.

Well tonight I went out for another run. I alternated between jogging and walking.  I could really feel that my leg was stronger.  Amazing what just a couple trips out makes.. well I got more comfortable... and at one point I pushed myself a bit harder and got going pretty fast.....  I would say for about 30 seconds I was at a full on RUN. 

It was such an amazing feeling. I have not been able to do that in at least 5 years.. maybe longer.  I swear I almost got tears in my eyes.  I think I actually did get them... a little bit.  I"m sure to the few people who were out, I just looked like some middle aged guy "sort of" running.. but to me it felt like I was on top of the world!  :)

I came home and told my wife.... but I had to get on here and share this.  I know those of you who are fellow hippies have had a similar moment and know exactly what I"m talking about and how it felt.  Absolutely amazing.

I used to jog a fair amount before I had hip problems.... if I'm able to resume the activity as a way to burn off stress and keep the weight off, it will be so great.  I don't know what the long term impact will or won't be on my implant's lifespan if I run a lot... to me running a "lot" would be like doing a couple miles a few times a week...  no marathons in my future.. a 5 mile run would be a LONG run for me....

All I can say is tonight was a VERY good night.

WOW!
Sean
Dr. Gross- Left Hip - 2/23/11, Right Hip 7/19/23

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: TONIGHT............... I *RAN*..... WOW WOW WOW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 01:18:48 AM »
YIPPEE!  I can hardly stand to wait until I am cleared to run.  That is GREAT news!  And you certainly came to the right place to share because we understand how awesome it is (or will be in my case).

It has been over ten years since I have really run.  I tried to fool myself into believing that I could get back to running last year.  The pain was so bad I would almost collapse in the street.

At three weeks I have already started aqua jogging in preparation.  Did you do any water running to prepare?  What about stretching?  Take it easy until your body relearns how to run.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

bothdone

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 04:20:30 AM »
Congratulations!   

Ed
LBHR 25 May 2004
RBHR 19 March 2008

jjmclain

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 07:00:27 AM »
Congratulations!!! I know the feeling...I experienced the same emotions my first time back running. You will be amazed at how quickly it comes back and way better than before!

June

gibbcutter

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 07:13:32 AM »
Keep up the good  work.  Thanks to you, I have something to aim for.

Ed

toby

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 07:18:37 AM »
Great news, I know that feeling too so I can really appreciate your excitement.
But..from my experience(s) and as Dan pointed out, build slowly, work hard on prep/body conditioning and always warm up. As indicated in my recent posts, after a great HR recovery-a return to swimming, biking and running, through a lack of prep/build up- I played sqaush and ruptued my achilles tendon.
Also, go back to Ed/bothdone's posts on getting back to running they will be invaluable.
Best
Toby
LHR Adept-Prof Cobb-30-1-10

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 10:29:43 AM »
Great news, Sean...
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

rbt2011

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »
Congratulations!!!  That is an awesome story!!

Thanks for sharing.
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 11:27:18 AM »
I felt like that after walking with a good stride a couple months after no. 1.  Can't wait for a few more months.  Thanks for the great update!
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

bigblue

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 11:47:18 AM »
Congratulations. It is truly a great feeling when you have that ah ha moment. It almost brings tears to your eyes to realize that the worst is in the past and the future looks bright.

Anniee

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:01:53 PM »
Sean, that is just wonderful!!!  I'm so happy for you, and such an encouraging story for those of us who are not there yet!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Aerial

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 08:45:35 PM »
Yippee, so good to hear!  Very encouraging for us awaiting surgery.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Luann

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 11:04:22 PM »
Sean,
 I can't tell you how happy I am for you. I felt the same way about hiking, or far that matter, just walking without a limp!! Here's to many more runs!!  Lu
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Dayton96

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 05:54:06 AM »
Sean,

Good to hear you are still moving forward.  As someone has already mentioned, don't forget to stretch before any run and take it slow. 

Mac
Dr. Gross, Uncemented Biomet, Left, March 2011

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 06:02:21 AM »
Wow,Wow,Wow is right!  You and everyone else here inspire me to get this done. Get it over with. And get going again!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 10:46:26 PM »
Sean,

That is great news! Sorry, I haven't been on here for a few days. (See what I missed?) I haven't tried any long runs yet but I have tried a few short ones. So far, so good! I know the feeling about being a little scared, but I guess we'll get used to it.  ;D
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

David

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 07:46:20 PM »
nice...I love the excitement!
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Jeremy76761

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 12:08:33 AM »

Great to hear.

I can't wait to compete in 1500m meters and sub 15 minute 5ks. Anything's possible.

hipnhop

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 08:52:33 PM »
I can't wait to join you.  One more hip to go.
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat