+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone deal with Pelvis misalignment?  (Read 3537 times)

MattBrunner

Anyone deal with Pelvis misalignment?
« on: September 03, 2011, 10:57:06 AM »
Hi am a Newbie to hip talk and just 4 weeks post Op form a LHR with Dr. Pritchett. 

I couldn’t be happier with the procedure and making good progress working in physical therapy to build strength.  The PT seems to think my Pelvis is misaligned which he said will cause problems for my recovery.  I don’t seem to have a problem with leg length difference but this physical therapist seems to feel this was a big cause in the hip damage in the first place and will be a big issue going forward.

Has anyone else had this show up post Op and how did you confirm and fix the problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Matt

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: Anyone deal with Pelvis misalignment?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 11:31:02 AM »
Welcome Matt.

If you are new here how did you find out about hip resurfacing and Dr. Pritchett?  I am curious because many of us had to do our own research.  Our doctors recommended total hip replacements when the pain got too much to bear.

I haven't had any diagnosis of pelvis misalignment.  I do have a lot of muscles that have to be retrained though.  I have had a lot of soreness and even some continuing bruising on the inside of the knee.  I am sticking with the physical therapy until I get this all back in alignment.

Have you mentioned this to Dr. Pritchett?  I would think he would have seen something on the x-ray.  I would definitely bring it up at your 8 week followup appointment.

Best wishes.

Dan

PS. I also posted a reply to your earlier post since we must have had our surgeries with Dr. Pritchett the same week.
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

MattBrunner

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 12:49:51 PM »
Thanks Dan,

I will be sure to bring up the PTs comments with Dr. Pritchett at my 8 week appointment to see if the x-ray shows anything.

I was his Dr Pritchett's 2nd surgery Monday August 8th, where you the same week?  I did a lot of research before deciding on the resurfacing and Dr. Pritchett and that included reading this site often.  I am only 43 yrs old and have played competitive volleyball for 23 years so my biggest concern was active life style and life of the hip so everything seems to point me to resurfacing vs THR.   After deciding on resurfacing and reading all about the success vs problems and visiting with Dr Pritchett it was easy to decide he was the right doctor.  That is after having a Volleyball friend with 2 THR procedures as the UW doing well at 49 yrs old.

I have had all the same issues you talk about with the smaller stabilizer mussels in the leg, gluts, IT band and a pulled a groin mussel (bruising) just by stretching the 2nd week.  I have used a lot of elliptical work to help increase blood flow.  Just the last few days those mussels are feeling better and with some PT stretches it has improved. 

Thanks and keep me up to date on your progress sounds like we are at the same point in the recovery.

Matt

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 03:27:20 PM »
Matt - I'm 42 and just had the second hip done by Pritchett.  I'm not a volloyball player, but more of a soccer player.  Did you have screws put in?  if pelvis is misaligned?

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

MattBrunner

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 04:09:39 PM »
Wow you are already have both hips done, what was the time between the first and the 2nd?   Given what I know at some point that will likely be my path also.  I hope it isn't anytime soon this recovery is something I don't want to go through again anytime soon.

I have not confirmed any misalignment this is just what the PT I am working with thinks.  As Dan suggested I will bring it up with Pritchett on my 8 week post Op appointment.  The resurfaced hip seems to placed correctly and I'm not in any pain and not really sure why the PT thinks I have Pelvis misalignment.  I know he sees my mussles are tight but think I could just be pushing bit to hard in rehab.  I'm going to get a 2nd opinion from Pritchett before doing anything.

Matt

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »
I don't mean to poo poo the PT, but since Pritchett got "intimate" with your hip, I'd rely on his answer.  Misalignment may be in reference to misalignemnt of your pelvis in relationship to you back.  We should all expect to be "crooked" for awhile after surgery since the hip is swollen, tendor, and you have a limp, and when sitting down, we favor the un-operated side.  When I look in the mirror, I'm totally crooked, but at 2 weeks who wouldn't be?  Even 4 or 6 weeks.

You should call Susan or Roman and see if you can get a copy or your 2-week x-ray, if you don't have it.  Keep in mind it's only a 2D image and it's basically impossible to measure anteversion angle, but you can certainly measure abduction angle and that might give your more confidence, along with Pritchett's advice, that there is no "misalignment of the pelvis with relationship to your femor.  The crookedness with your back and pelvis should even out as you recover, 2 or months from now. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

John C

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 09:43:52 PM »
I hate to sound a little critical of your PT's wording, but if you are going to ask Dr Pritchett about a "misaligned pelvis", he may look at you a little strangely unless your PT can come up with a more specific diagnosis. I think it is clear that the issue does not relate in any way to your prosthesis. Is the PT saying that the sacro-iliac joints where the base of the spine joins the two halves of the pelvis are somehow misaligned, or more likely that your whole pelvis has been tilted or rotated by tight muscles that have been trying to protect the hip? Are they saying that your pelvis is just tilted anterior or posterior (pretty much anyone with a hip problem will have an anterior tilt to the pelvis due to a chronic contracture of the hip flexors, but this usually goes away during the recovery period), or that it is somehow twisted to one side; both of which would involve stress in the low back? If you are going to run this by an orthopedic surgeon asking for his opinion, you really need to nail the PT down as to what is their specific diagnosis in orthopedic terms, and what measurements they are basing it on. Otherwise, I am afraid that you may be disappointed if Dr Pritchett does not have a substantial enough question to provide an answer to.
When you have a moment, please let us know how this turns out.

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

MattBrunner

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 11:41:39 PM »
John,

I think you bring up a very good point and I am now even more skeptical of the PTs evaluation.  With dragging the bad leg around for 6 months before surgery, rehab and all the mussel damage and stretching from the surgery I would be surprised if anyone is completely aligned after 3 weeks.  Your are correct he did say my sacroiliac was off and tilted up on the good hip.  If this is true the x-ray will show this at 2 weeks will show it and it will still be there at 8 weeks.

I would be surprised if anyone back isn't off and sore after all the work of the first 3 weeks post Op.

Thank you for the advice I am only going to worry about it if continues to be an issue at 8 weeks.  If it does I will let you know what they find, in the meantime I will just keep working the hip.

Matt

einreb

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 07:16:24 PM »
What do they mean by 'pelvis misalignment'?

I'm 6 months post op and if I look down while walking... my left hip/pelvis bone (operated side) is a bit 'behind' my right one.  I was given a few stretches and its slowly been 'aligning' with the other side.
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear