+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elliptical use after surgery  (Read 4652 times)

Aerial

Elliptical use after surgery
« on: September 03, 2011, 07:41:29 PM »
Hello All-  I recently purchased a high end Life Fitness elliptical used from a someone who rarely used it (got an expensive machine for a steal... ;))  I find even with my hip in very bad condition, I get little pain using the elliptical.  In fact, it hurts way more to walk than use the machine.  My question is how soon after surgery have others been able to use an elliptical?  Also can you do some of your immediate post-surgery walking on the elliptical? My elliptical has automatic stride adjustment and in the walking stride length with little resistance I find it very much like "real walking" with just a touch more down and up action.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:43:14 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

hernanu

Re: Elliptical use after surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:07:43 AM »
I used the elliptical towards the end of outpatient PT. I started with a spin bike at 4 weeks after surgery, the elliptical about 8 weeks after surgery.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Anniee

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 10:31:42 AM »
Aerial, I too find that I have a lot less pain in my bad hip using the elliptical than I do walking.  Also, I find that my hip hurts more on days when I do not use the elliptical so I use it as often as I can.

I was on the full weight bearing, rapid recovery program after the surgery on my right hip, so I went back to the gym after about 2 weeks (only upper body seated exercises for the weights) and I used the treadmill, flat, and at slow speed, per the post op instructions from Dr. Gross until my 6 week checkup.  I got the OK to use the elliptical at that time.  Almost all restrictions were lifted after 6 weeks, with the warning to take it slow and not overdo!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

lori.36

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:55:41 AM »
My doc released me for the eleptical at the 3 week follow up.  I still have not used one, not because I cant but because walking feels so good.  My recovery was in May, so being outside felt good.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

bigblue

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 11:18:56 AM »
After I was cleared by Dr. Gross I used the eliptical everyday as well as walking. The low impact of the eliptical was a little easier on the body.

Aerial

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 12:47:21 PM »
Aerial, I too find that I have a lot less pain in my bad hip using the elliptical than I do walking.  Also, I find that my hip hurts more on days when I do not use the elliptical so I use it as often as I can.

I was on the full weight bearing, rapid recovery program after the surgery on my right hip, so I went back to the gym after about 2 weeks (only upper body seated exercises for the weights) and I used the treadmill, flat, and at slow speed, per the post op instructions from Dr. Gross until my 6 week checkup.  I got the OK to use the elliptical at that time.  Almost all restrictions were lifted after 6 weeks, with the warning to take it slow and not overdo!

Yes, I have  to walk up stairs to get to my elliptical.  Often my hip is screaming at me going up the stairs but on the elliptical I am fine.  I also notice that after using the elliptical the stairs hurt less as well.  I guess things just get stretched out and lubricated a bit in and around the hip.  Since I am having surgery in December and live in an area with nothing but hills.  I was hoping that I could use the elliptical very early on (keeping resistance low).
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

futbalfan

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 02:44:44 PM »
Has anyone gotten in the pool and when did you start?  I am guessing that the lack of impact would feel really nice while at the same time providing resistance.

John C

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 03:11:48 PM »
Yes, getting in the pool is absolutely wonderful. Water walking, running, swimming, stretching; it alls feels wonderful in the weightless environment.  The strict rule for most doctors is to wait until the scar is completely healed, meaning no scabs or sutures at all. I think for me that this was at about three to four weeks. A few doctors do allow pool work right after surgery with a water proof dressing.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

MattBrunner

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 03:12:35 PM »
I was cleared and started the Elliptical at low angles as soon as my stitches were removed at two weeks and have been on it almost every day up to 3 miles, tomorrow is 4 weeks.

Just like others have said it actually makes climbing stairs and PT easier by increasing my blood flow to the recovering hip.  I  do limp a bit on long walks but the elliptical is low impact and keep me from favoring the recovering leg.  I hope is works as well for you.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 03:35:16 PM »
I'm at about 2 weeks post-op and I feel like I could do elliptcial on a low setting.  I am gently going up and down the stairs with assistance from my arms, but trying to get the full range on both legs.  Last hip, the PT set me up on simple walking on the treadmill for a couple weeks, then recumbent stationairy bike.  I guess I would have been on the elliptical, but he doesn't have one at his new office.  I start PT this coming week and looking forward to it.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

littleb

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 08:51:04 PM »
It depends on your doctor and the condition of the joint and bone. My bone density was a tad low so my restrictions were longer than most others. Ask your doctor. Hurrying anything in the beginning can be regretted later. Good Luck.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Re: Powerplate Use by BilateralRecerf