+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Reusing polar care ice machine from previous surgery  (Read 4395 times)

Aerial

Reusing polar care ice machine from previous surgery
« on: September 04, 2011, 12:59:47 PM »
I had arthroscopic hip surgery a year ago and got a Kodiak Polar Care ice machine for that surgery.  Does anyone know if I can reuse that unit for my hip surgery?  I wonder if there are restrictions about bringing a unit into the hospital from a germ/infection standpoint  It would be a shame to have to buy another one.  My insurance paid for it last time but if such a thing is billed again, I can't imagine they will pay for it again.  Plus that would be a landfill hazard and wasteful in my opinion. Just curious.  It was of great help last time with swelling even though it chewed through ice like crazy.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:04:26 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

littleb

Re: Reusing polar care ice machine from previous surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 08:54:18 PM »
They will keep you well iced at the hospital so you won't need anything extra there. Clean it up well and have it ready when you come home. You will appreciate it then.
RBHR
Dr. Su
8/19/10

einreb

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 10:02:50 PM »
They will keep you well iced at the hospital so you won't need anything extra there. Clean it up well and have it ready when you come home. You will appreciate it then.

Depends on the Doctor...  my doc requested that purchase one ahead of time  bring one with me (I purchased it at his office in my pre-op meeting) and they used it at the hospital and I took it home with me.

To the original post... I cant imagine that you couldn't reuse it.  Ask your surgeon and scrub it down  just to be sure?
40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 11:58:35 PM »
I bought a used machine on eBay. I wondered the same thing. Would the doc/hospital accept a used device? They did. I just made sure it was clean, which it was when I received it from the seller. They had no problem at all with it and never said anything about it being a used one. I would still ask them to be sure.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Aerial

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:50:30 PM »
Good news on reusing it.  I am hoping to use Dr. Gross as my surgeon.  I have an appointment this Thursday to see if I am a candidate.  I also have a friend who had a THR recently, she is going to let me use her shower aid, toilet raiser and sock "put-on-er".  I thought I read on Dr. Gross's website he wanted you to buy these things.  I am really into "reuse/recycle" and am happy to borrow her devices if I can.
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Anniee

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 08:00:24 PM »
I bought the Polar Care for my first surgery on my right hip, and I certainly intend to use it again for my left hip.  I had to bring it to the hospital, and they put it on before I woke up from the surgery, so you do need to bring it with you if you decide to use Dr. Gross.
I hope you post after your appointment with him this week!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear