+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Almost six weeks and trying to get rid of my sticks  (Read 4355 times)

mikebaker

Almost six weeks and trying to get rid of my sticks
« on: September 05, 2011, 03:11:48 AM »
Hi all, it has been a very uneventful six weeks but still on crutches on docs orders. I have no pain and feel very good. I had a bit of a scare the other day going down some stairs, not paying attention and the crutch missed the stair and I put some weight on my new hip. It felt a bit sore for a few hours (more muscular than anything)but all ok now. I am quite concerned that they may tell me to stay on crutches for another six weeks. I believe that the placement of the femoral component might have notched the neck of my femur and they make continue to take a conservative approach with me. I was trying to get my other one done six weeks after my first follow up or at the three month mark but am worried that won't happen if my leg is not ready to take on weight from another resurfaced hip. I have done so much research and have so many questions but will not be too much of a pain at the appointment. I knew the risks going in. I will let you know how it goes. I have heard that a lot of it has to do with bone density and therefore it might be ok. Wish me luck!!

LBHR July 28, 2011
RBHR Dec 6, 2011

Tin Soldier

Re: Almost six weeks and trying to get rid of my sticks
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:30:07 AM »
I'll wish you luck.  I hope all goes well and you get some positive info.  I agree that conservative is good.  Eventhough you are looking at a 6 week period or more on crutches, you may well look back at this a year from now and not even think much about it.  Good luck.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

gibbcutter

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 10:43:16 AM »
Sounds like something is up.  I was permitted full weight bearing immediately.  I was down to 1 crutch in 4 days, and a cane a week later.  At 6 weeks I was off the cane but would take it on my 1 mile walk.  At 9 weeks, I am walking almost normally with some muscle discomfort at times.  You are probably on to something concerning a femoral issue.  If that is the case, I don't think long term it will be an issue but rather put you on a different rehab path.  I would follow doc's orders.  In time, you will be fine.

Good luck.

mikebaker

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 11:22:57 AM »
Thanks guys. I am going this Thursday for a new x-ray and some answers. I have read lots of studies that say that bone density and the development of AVN are significant contributing factors and a notch in of itself is not the primary indicator of a femoral head fracture. Going in I was so worried about the angle of the acetabular component and really thought that the placement of the femoral component was almost an afterthought. I guess for how rare this happens there is not much of a case for a intraoperative x-ray but you would think that when the guidewire is in that you have the most opportunity to change the placement of the component. I was really hoping that I would be one of the 98% that have no issues, but maybe I still am but just on a bit of a slower path. Thanks again for the well wishes.
LBHR July 28, 2011
RBHR Dec 6, 2011

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »
Gibb -

The use of two crutches for 6 weeks is not necessarily cause for concern.  All surgeons have different regimens.  My surgeon and others (who are among the highly experienced HR surgeons) have six weeks on two crutches in their normal post-op instructions.

Tin -

I agree that there's nothing wrong with conservative.  Life is a marathon --- not a sprint.
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 03:40:13 PM »
I totally agree with Tin.  Specifically I think I read on this very site that there has been evidence of bone healing up to two years later.  So I would follow the most conservative approach I am to instructed to follow.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

mikebaker

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 04:37:53 PM »
I had my surgery on a long weekend and my surgeon was going on holidays. I did not get to see him until 2 days after surgery and he said that there was something about the x-ray and therefore I had to be feather weight bearing for 6 weeks. I got a copy of the x-ray and it appeared that the femoral component was shifted very slightly and therefore encroached on the neck of the femur. He DID mention the word "notch" to me but it does not look like a notch but it looks like the component is a bit off. He did say that he would not let me be full weight bearing unless he was 100% happy with the surgery and most of his patients are on restrictions for six weeks. So we will get a chance to see the x-rays again this week. I am definitely concerned because I am about 5' 10" and 230 lbs and an out of shape ex college linebacker and therefore I would think that I put more stress on my body. But I guess if I have to lose some weight in the pool and take it easy that is fine, I just dread the thought of going to a THR. Thanks for all of the support. 
LBHR July 28, 2011
RBHR Dec 6, 2011

mikebaker

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 06:12:39 PM »
I have to clarify myself. What I mean is that I dread the thought having to go to a THR right now after all I have gone through with my first surgery. However, I understand it would not be the worst thing in the world. It is a good surgery with a great outcome. It is just at 46, like so many others on this websiteI, would like to have a bit more time and resume a more active lifestyle if at all possible.
LBHR July 28, 2011
RBHR Dec 6, 2011

jjmclain

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 09:22:23 PM »
I hope it all works out for you Mike and completely understand your feelings regarding a THR. Keep us posted!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 08:33:47 PM »
Another thought - My first hip recovery was slower than the my second in that I had more pain and discomfort in a portion of my stride for a longer period than I did on the second.  You may have simply had more soft-tissure damage either before surgery or from surgery and it may take awhile to recover from that.  I think the surgeon and the PT ought to be able to address the soft tissue part of this.  If you have no pain and your surgeon is simply conservative due to the fact that he wants your fem neck to strengthen, I could see that too.  When it comes to bone growth, everyone here, as well as the professionals will say slow and conservative is the way to go.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anniee

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 12:15:36 AM »
Mike, please keep us posted after your appointment this week.  Hopefully, your doctor is just being conservative, and there is nothing really wrong.  I do understand how you feel about a possible THR - who wants another surgery on top of the resurfacing?  That is why I followed my doctor's post-op instructions exactly.
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

mikebaker

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 12:40:29 AM »
Thanks Tin and Anniee,

I am doing my best and I know the issue is the femoral neck. I am trying to not wind myself too much about this. I am looking for all the positives, good bone density, valgus position, short femoral neck as to convince myself it is all going to be ok. It is really hard to be weather weight bearing when you feel just fine. It is like grabbing crutches when you are not hurt and you end up maybe putting a bit more weight on it. I know I am hurt technically (still healing) but everything feels fine that I forget about it but again I am trying really hard to make sure that I am protecting my hip. I am hoping that after this appointment I can at least get in the pool and try and strengthen my leg again. I was not supposed to have any PT until after this appointment. So anxiously waiting this Thursday.. two more sleeps!!
LBHR July 28, 2011
RBHR Dec 6, 2011

mikebaker

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 12:44:11 AM »
I mean feather weight bearing!! :D
LBHR July 28, 2011
RBHR Dec 6, 2011

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 01:04:03 AM »
Mike,

Sorry to hear of your concerns.

If this were me, I would be seeking out 2nd and 3rd opinions.  IMHO I think you need to find out if it's impingement that is causing notching or the notching happened during the surgery.  I would want to know how far off your femoral component is and whether or not it possibly shifted into a better angle, it's happened before where a component shifted back and healed properly. 

Notching as you know can lead to AVN and possibly a femoral neck fracture.  Either way this occured due to surgical error.

This might all be nothing but you are well within your rights to seek another opinion and it's good to be your own patient advocate.

If you need a revision it's not the end of the world, many people have had revisions and they have done very very well.  Just make sure it's not a small ball femoral component.

Who is your surgeon?

I'm kind of surprised Vicky has not picked up on this one.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

mikebaker

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 01:38:58 AM »
Hey Chuck,

Thanks for the advice. Will do a bit more work after the appointment this Thursday with respect to next steps. My doc has a great reputation within the ortho community and I know he will give me the straight goods. A bit hesitant to say more until we have the appointment. Again hoping for the best but I can deal with any bad news. It has been a long six weeks waiting and promise to give you all the report.
LBHR July 28, 2011
RBHR Dec 6, 2011

obxpelican

• ~Welcome to SixBurgh~
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 01:50:58 AM »
I'll tell you what I've told a lot of people Mike, this is not the end of your life but rather the beginning, you just need to get over this bump in the road.  You will end up with a good result. 

Yes, let us all know how you make out.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

mikebaker

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 03:25:34 AM »
Thanks Chuck, the support on this website is incredible. It is great to know that others can relate. Will sign off for now and pray for good news and a good report. Take care,
LBHR July 28, 2011
RBHR Dec 6, 2011

alpsters

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 06:46:36 AM »
I wish you the very best Mike and look forward to keeping up on your progress.
I am now 7 weeks post-op with Dr. Bose.  I dropped my crutch about 5 days ago but am now thinking it was premature as people are asking me why I still limp after having had the surgery. Though it seems to be worse at the end of the day when I'm tired, it made me realize that if I am limping noticeably, maybe I should use the cane still. Guess I was feeling like I was becoming reliant on it. Any feedback?
I am VERY thankful for this site, the info and Q/A has been invaluable. Thank you all for your input, suggestions and comments. :D

jjmclain

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 11:04:49 AM »
Alpsters,

Just continue to strengthen the muscles surrounding the hip and that should help a lot! You will get there. Everyone heals at their own rate. Take care.

June

cassiewoofer

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 11:31:26 AM »
6 weeks with two crutches is much more conservative than my surgeon, I walked accross the room with one stick after 5 days. However I still had a definate limp at seven weeks, and still some pain making me unsure at times whether the procedure had stopped the pain.... Then I saw my physio at 8 weeks and she 'made' me walk accross the room without the stick. I was more scared of the pain that might happen than pushing it and seeing if it hurt.
 She than said I should concentrate on walking without a limp and not protect the hip by walking unbalanced. I was surprised how difficult it was! My brain had obviously been programmed into a new way of walking. I only did this consciously for say 100m a day, than walked with a limp or the stick depending on how far I was going or how the hip felt. Sometimes there was an ache at the end of the day and I thought I'd over done it....... there was always a few concerns when there was post op pain but none of them were any consequence,....just off days in the long healing process.
 It wasn't untill about 5 months I started to really feel the benefits and had a few games of tennis but was still putting a skip in with the strong leg to protect the hip a bit... there's just not the ligament/ muscle strength to sprint properly. More physio will speed this up but the surgeon said I was 'doing very well' when he saw me at 6 months.
 Take it slow, relax and let the tissue/bone healing take place.
Well done for biting the bullet and good luck.

Just remembered one other very big surprise I got was with the physio at three months..... she asked me to do step ups on stairs, it was then that I realised just how weak the hip was!!! I could not lift my weight without pushing of quickly with the other leg. I had been protecting the weak hip so much by moving differently and pushing of with the other leg for 3 months (guess I'm terrified of pain.... and and was scared breaking the new implant! stupid but true) And had had a few days/ mornings where I felt like I'd overdone it.
 Just take it slow. I've read there's a slightly heightened risk of femoral neck fracture up to 1 year, so I'm not going all out until after christmas.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:47:05 AM by cassiewoofer »

Recent Posts

New to resurfacing wondering about surgeons by smartinny
Yesterday at 02:20:37 AM

Re: 9 years later and I think it's time for my other hip by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:45:07 PM

Re: Need help finding a Surgeon by imgetinold
September 17, 2020, 06:40:18 PM

Re: 3 months post op with MAJOR problems by ahausheer
September 16, 2020, 05:18:14 AM

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal