+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long to be completely (or almost) without pain?  (Read 1818 times)

gibbcutter

How long to be completely (or almost) without pain?
« on: September 06, 2011, 05:41:45 AM »
I'll be 9 weeks Post OP tomorrow.  I still have soreness when I wake up or if I sit for long periods.  There is still discomfort and tightening in my iliotibial band.  I have been progressively getting better but the rate of improvement has slowed down.  I continue to maintain my regiment of daily exercises.

Feedback appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:31:45 AM by gibbcutter »

hernanu

Re: How long to be completely (or almost) without pain?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 09:40:48 AM »
The soreness will go down. Mine continued until a good six months, I still have some after very long drives, more stiffness than soreness, but it is there. It's hard to tell now if it's just normal stiffness that anyone gets, since I've become so sensitive to the hips.

The band issue is different. It needs stretching, strengthening and rolling (my own recommendation). If your PT suggests it, I use a roller to go over the IT band, it works wonders on the area and cuts down on tightness and pain. At 9 months, I still have some issues with my right, but on my left the IT tightness and pain is completely gone.

Each leg is different, but when you can do it, I'd really suggest the roller.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Doug J

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 10:46:53 AM »
I've been using a foam roller on my IT bands for over a year and it has really helped my IT band.  I am only two weeks post-op on my left HR, so I haven't got back to the roller yet, but I intend to as soon as my hip and muscles feel more stable.  My left hamstring is now incredibly tight, post surgery, so I plan to use the roller there too.  Happy rolling!

John C

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »
Firstly, remember that 9 weeks is still pretty early in a healing process that will continue for at least two years. Things do not improve as fast at nine weeks, but they will continue to improve.
As for start up, I still have start up stiffness, especially after hard exercise or long car rides, but it has gotten better to the point that it is about the same as on the non-operated side. My IT band still flares up a couple of times a year, but it usually only last for a week or so, and using the roller really helps when it does flare up.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Anniee

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 08:19:51 PM »
At about 5 1/2 months, I do not have any IT band issues (never did), but I still have some stiffness after sitting for long periods of time, and there is a muscle in my groin that still hurts a little bit when I do some of my PT exercises.  It does not hurt doing normal, everyday things, though.  And my other, non-operated hip is giving me a whole lot of pain.  I'll take the stiffness and little twinges over the arthritis pain any day!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 03:25:32 PM »
About 3 months post op on the first one is when I really noticed that I had no pain, unless I pushed the ROM limits.  No limp, hip and leg felt really strong, and I was on the attack to return to a more active lifestyle.  However, a small setback, hip no. 2 got in the way.  I'm looking forward to to the 3 month timeframe on this one, in which I believe I will be back to that same place.  That's when I'll need everyone's help to keep me from playing soccer or running.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal