+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5 years today....  (Read 3603 times)

powderhippy

5 years today....
« on: September 06, 2011, 11:32:46 PM »
Five years ago had my first hip done by Dr. Gross....So far, so good. As many of you know I kick the crap out of this hip....Also One year and 2 months on my other hip. Mtn. biking, hiking the mountains, golfing and weight lifting with NO problems... Looking forward to cranking turns up at the mountain early December or Wolf Creek by mid-November. Stay tuned....
For those that are thinking of the procedure or just had it done, you'll be living large once the hip/hips heal...  Happy Fall to everyone, Shelly
Dr. Gross/Lee Webb  Left hip 9/6/06 cement,  Right hip 6/23/10 uncemented

maxi

Re: 5 years today....
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 01:54:05 AM »
its always good to hear a great succesfull story ..

go hard Shelly and thanks for an update ..

Paul
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow...what a ride!"

cassiewoofer

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 05:58:57 AM »
Sounds great, so do you genuinely feel as strong as before arthritis set in..... accounting for age I mean!
 I'm 8 months post and not 100% yet, Not expecting miracles but I would like to start paragliding again which doesn't (as most assume) involve hard landings. Similar to jumping off a 3ft wall is the hardest I've had in 5 years. I'm talking after 1 year which is when I've heard the risk of neck fracture is still heightened.
 I'm playing tennis and cycle every day but can't run totally balanced yet.
Would love to get back to the sprint to the shops and hurdling the railings like 4 years ago!

Keith

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:23:16 AM »
It's so very cool to have a long term hippy, this forum loses communications with hippies often after the first year or so. 

Glad to hear you are doing well.

Chuck

Five years ago had my first hip done by Dr. Gross....So far, so good. As many of you know I kick the crap out of this hip....Also One year and 2 months on my other hip. Mtn. biking, hiking the mountains, golfing and weight lifting with NO problems... Looking forward to cranking turns up at the mountain early December or Wolf Creek by mid-November. Stay tuned....
For those that are thinking of the procedure or just had it done, you'll be living large once the hip/hips heal...  Happy Fall to everyone, Shelly
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 09:26:04 AM »
Really good to hear, and thanks for the update, Shelly - gives us a lot of positive reinforcement to hear that.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 11:02:56 AM »
Thanks for checking back and providing hope and encouragement.  I am at five weeks and can already feel the changes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 11:16:35 AM »
I'm jealous.  Can't even think of skiiing right now, but someday. Although, that may have been what got me into this mess, or maybe it was genetics.  I just want to ride my bicycle.  Thanks for the post.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
Awesome. Keep charging !!  8)

John C

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 04:28:08 PM »
Hi Shelly,
Great to hear your report. When you have the time, it would be interesting to hear how Dr Gross's protocol, and your surgery and recovery experience, changed during the four years in between your surgeries.

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 04:41:51 PM »
Shelly
Congratulations on your 5 year anniversary!  Thanks for taking time to come back and tell everyone how well you are doing!

Good Luck and 50 more anniversaries!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Aerial

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 07:51:19 PM »
Sounds fantastic, continued fun time to you!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

stevel

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 08:09:08 PM »
Hi Shelly,

Your experience is inspiring, since you are not holding back and are enjoying your new hips!
Great to hear about mid term hippies going strong!
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 08:15:15 PM »
Wow. glad your HR is working well for you I hope truly that it lasts you the rest of your life! Keep up the good work.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 10:31:38 PM »
Hi Shelly,

It's a big treat to hear from hippies who are years out like you are. I'm 8 months now with both hips done by Dr. Gross and I'm getting back into mountain biking and hiking after 3 or so years away from it. A little over a year ago I thought those days were over for me. I remember how you gave me encouragement last year (O.K., I cheated, I looked back at your post from that time to see what all you said.) I can't believe how that time has past so quickly. Happy riding!

Steve
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:41:03 PM by newdog »
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

powderhippy

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 11:29:17 PM »
So GREAT to hear from everyone. Yep, been gone from this site for awhile, but its nice to see (or read) so many familiar faces. Thanx for the responses.
Just to let you know, I've never felt stronger. And that's with both hips. I've worked out big-time in the gym. I don't do squats(I know to many people who've blown out their backs) but do leg presses, leg extensions/curls, ab/adductors, and hack squats. I've lost some mass in my legs, but I'll rack that up to being 58..!  For mtn. biking, pushing steep hills I find my hips work great. Occasionally a twinge, but it immediately goes away while cranking up the hill. Hiking gives me no problem as my lungs are back for the 12,000 ft. air. As for golf, I can really turn my hips towards the target without moving my feet. Something I did before my hips started going. Nothing is perfect though. When hiking or bouldering, I just can't get it through my head not to jump over 3 feet, as I sit on my butt and shimmy down....!
But hope that answers your question Keith about how I feel. Answer, just as good as before my hips started going.
Chuck, sorry no Steeler players on my fantasy team this year. But wish the Steelers luck this year.
Tin Soldier- don't write off skiing. Get back to it. Hey, go to Sun Valley and let John C show you how to get back to a wonderful sport. There is nothing like it....!
Steve, it is funny how quickly time passes. Waiting a few more months is forgotten once you get back to the sport you love.
And THANK YOU Pat for this great site. I won't be a stranger as ski time is approaching  and truly miss these wonderful Hippys on this site. But trust me, I'll take 20 years more of these hips. If it was 50, I'd probably forget what I'm writing about...LOL.
All the best and again, thank you all for the good wishes.....Shelly

Dr. Gross/Lee Webb  Left hip 9/6/06 cement,  Right hip 6/23/10 uncemented

phillwad

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 11:31:05 PM »
Great great news, love the bit about mountain biking - so looking forward to getting back on the bike Cheers - Phill

Anniee

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 08:40:25 PM »
Hi Shelly, thank you very much for your report - it really was great to hear about everything you're able to do!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 11:51:50 PM »
Shelly - thanks for the support, love the part about bouldering.  Man I so badly want to be able to go to Smith Rocks and just do some simple bouldering, get a good stretch trying to work out a problem on the rocks.  Ballad on the rocks with a little Zen thrown in.  Skiing would be pretty awesome, my Dad goes to Sun Valley every so often and it would be pretty cool for the two of us to go skiiing again, he's 75 and he has is original hips.  Genetics?  not so sure about that one.

Thanks for the inspiration.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

hipnhop

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 08:50:35 PM »
Powder, where I'm from - we call you an OG - Original Gangster. thanks for blazing the path - we will follow
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Luann

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 12:48:16 AM »
Shelly, Thank you so much for letting us know how well you are doing. Very encouraging!   Lu
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 12:48:58 AM by Luann »
F age 45 right hip C+ Dr.Sparling 6/02/10

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat