+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Muscle Rehab  (Read 1603 times)

Hank

Muscle Rehab
« on: September 09, 2011, 08:39:31 PM »
I had left hip BHR resurfacing 5 months ago.  My improvement has been excellent except in one area.   I can walk, ride a bike and play golf walking and pushing my clubs with no pain after having excruciating pain just walking a block prior to the surgery.   However, I have one groin/adductor muscle that will not heal.  When I twist quickly (while awake or while sleeping) or step up on to a high stair (e.g. this week on step ladder)  I get a sharp pain that rather quickly subsides, but it is really a jolt and hurts.

My  PT guessed it was a pectenius muscle, which I had never hear of.   It feels like it got messed up during the surgery and no exercises I have tried thus far have improved it.

Have other folks had this experience?   Any suggestions?   Do i just have to live with it?

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Re: Muscle Rehab
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »
Your PT tells you what muscle but doesn't give you exercises to strengthen and stretch it?  If so, I would find a new PT.

In my non-professional opinion you know the movements that cause the pain.  Try doing those movements slowly up to the point where you experience pain.  Hold the stretch.  Ice.  It also sounds like strengthening your adductor and abductor muscles would help.  Also try balancing on your operated leg.  Start with a shoe on, then barefoot, then shoe on cushion or soft surface, and then barefoot on soft surface or cushion.  Sometimes we strengthen the bigger muscles and forget about the smaller support ones.

You may find something online.

I have had most of my pain in the last couple weeks (I am just under six weeks) in my groin and upper glute.  I think my body is adjusting to my new leg movement.  With no arthritis pain my leg actually tracks straight forward.  The cycling and aqua jogging I did this morning definitely worked my groin muscles.

Best wishes.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 04:23:25 PM »
Hank - I hear a lot of folks here say that 5 months your body is still trying to figure out it's new bearing and soft-tissue is still organizing itself, as Dan points out.  Maybe there is an exercise you are doing too much, maybe a short break will allow the inflammation to go down?  I'd talk to the PT and see what they think, but I wouldn't get too discouraged.  There's still a alot of healing at 5 months.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

jgenese

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:44:36 AM »
Hank,   I get the same pain. I've gone for x-rays, and CT scans. Everything looks good except for the psoas tendon up against the implant. I'm going for a anesthetic–corticosteroid shot the 21st to see if that gives some relief. If that doesn't work, they need to relieve the tendon surgically. By the way, when you make a sudden move do you get a jolting pain?

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats