+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip complications with Bone Graft  (Read 3067 times)

Stuart

Hip complications with Bone Graft
« on: September 11, 2011, 08:20:47 PM »
Hi all,
Wondering if anyone has had a bone graft to restore section of the head before getting the replacement done.
I have both hips replaced with BHR midstem and still suffer chronic pain 9 months later in the right hip. The left one has healed well but the right one I can hardly walk on. The surgeon done a forage to try and save this hip but it did not work and I asked for it to be replaced as well. When he operated he said a quarter of the head had collapsed and he done a bone graft to try and rebuild it while fitting the new hip. I am still taking Mobic and a high dosage of Oxycontin for pain control. I hate this stuff and wonder if anyone has been successful in this area of getting pain free without med, or should I get a total hip replacement?

Lopsided

Re: Hip complications with Bone Graft
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 06:17:15 AM »
Stuart, I have had a bone graft, but not on the same scale as you. I had a cyst which the surgeon filled with a graft while doing the resurfacing. I believe many people get this. I have suffered no ill effects and seem to have recovered well. So grafting can be successful, but your situation might require longer recovery and careful monitoring.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Stuart

Re: Hip complications with Bone Graft
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 04:03:19 AM »
Thankyou for your feedback lopsided,
 My surgeon did say it would take 12 months or more. He also said the only way I would find out if the graft took is whether or not the neck/Femur would break as X-rays etc would not show what is under the cup. I dont know if this is true or not but it did not sound really professional advice. As i say the left hip is pretty much pain free but was done 12 months prior to the right one being replaced. I dont know what sort of natural therapys may help with the pain? I have done all P/T options but have had no real success. I hate taking painkillers but have no quality of life without them.
I should be happy that at least I can walk again,  but I had hoped of a better outcome from all the surgery.
I am thinking of trying one of them Magnetic underlays for the bed..but I might get stuck to it haha.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat