+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: rock and ice climbing  (Read 9955 times)

mellord

rock and ice climbing
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »
I finally registered here on surfacehippy after browsing it once in a while for years. I am four years post-op, and very happy with mobility, both in rock climbing and ice climbing. If there are any climbers out there wishing to chat, let me know. I also have a pretty good diary of the rehab process. I followed a 2-pitch 5.7 about five weeks in, and was climbing better than pre-op at about 9 weeks. Details to anyone interested.
Don Mellor

rob swinburne

Re: rock and ice climbing
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:38:40 PM »
hi, just had a Trochanteric flip, 1 wk in and seemingly going well, do need the other done at some point. Which op did you have? I use to climb,kayak,cycle,surf,skate....well you get the picture,was wondering if you can still highstep,bridge ect,has it popped out at all?  Also what about aid climbing? abseiling?   Hope you can answer as best as possible,i'm obviously along way from fighting gravity again but cant wait.
robson B-)

Roboclimber

• Roboclimber
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 08:32:24 AM »
Hi Don,

Guess who? I put up a post yesterday, so I won't repeat myself here. I would be interested in hearing who did your work and the specifics. Glad to hear you are still out there kicking it. Lee Sheftel also had this done, and it seems like it worked out well for him!
Rock-Climber with L1 to S1 Spinal Fusion (w. S1 to S4 nerve Damage); R Conserve+ Dr. Antoniou Feb 17,'12. L Conserve+ August 17, 2012 with Antoniou. Revisions to Synovo Cups in 2015 by Dr. Pritchett: R On January 12, L on June 9th, with femoral unit revised, too (TARA prosthesis from Biopro)

mellord

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:15:08 PM »
Geoff! I haven't yet seen your post. Maybe you and I hiked in to Wallface too fast? Actually, I did the route next to Pleasure Victim this summer. 9 pitches  2 11s, a few 10s. Things well here in LP. You still in Oh, Canada? Ever get this way for ice? Dr. Su did the job. I'm really happy with the result. Much better climbing than pre-op. They don't let email addresses out here, I think. you can find me on Northwood School faculty site.

Rob - I don't know about your condition. Mine was resurfaced hip. It never felt close to popping out. In fact, it just feels sort of normal. Highsteps, bridging (as Creighton can attest) haven't ever been my forte, but now with new joint I'm at least as good as I've ever been. No aid climbing moves are stressful, though I haven't done anything extensive in etriers of later. Just did a quick 12-mile hike and 3rd class route this week - easy. Now just waiting for come ice.  Very successful surgery so far after four years. A very happy customer, here.
Don

Roboclimber

• Roboclimber
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 10:57:44 AM »
Hey Don,

I am waiting for a January date for surgery in Montreal with Dr. Antoniou. At that pointy I may go a little early as I want to spend more time with friends and family while there. I will let you know. I remember Pleasure Victim and Wallface well: what an awesome day that was!

I was starting to feel better - especially in my left hip - until 2 days ago. I must have done something to aggravate my right hip, and now I am limping around again...barely able to go from one room to another. Very discouraging. I fantasize about returning to activity, as it has been a while. Beginning to wonder if they will ever be able to fix me at this point: my body has so many surgical scars on it I look like the victim of a shark attack!

Glad to read your posts. Sounds like you are doing well!
Rock-Climber with L1 to S1 Spinal Fusion (w. S1 to S4 nerve Damage); R Conserve+ Dr. Antoniou Feb 17,'12. L Conserve+ August 17, 2012 with Antoniou. Revisions to Synovo Cups in 2015 by Dr. Pritchett: R On January 12, L on June 9th, with femoral unit revised, too (TARA prosthesis from Biopro)

Roboclimber

• Roboclimber
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 10:07:39 AM »
I have just been reading a number of posts, looking for something similar to what I am experiencing. More background can be found here: http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/profile/?area=showposts;u=4022. Likely I will start a blog soon, but I have been afraid how all this might be perceived with regards to work so I haven't put much up on the internet.

I also should have answered this earlier question about which surgical approach was used. The incision is lateral, and the way my abductors are taking so long to heal tells me why they say this approach is a slow-healer. I am at 5.5 months post-op, and going from sitting to standing can still be brutal....but I might be overdoing it with what I am doing for exercise.

I realize now I probably should have been writing here more regularly - even though I have been keeping a journal to keep track of progress. One reason I haven't posted - to be honest - is it is hard to believe I have to go through this all again. That first week post -op on BHR #1 was pretty tough.

I did Grouse Mountain twice this past week, once via the Grind, and the other by the BCMC. I am realizing though that I have to start working harder now on things like squats, as I am surprisingly week. My ROM in my new hip is improving, but I am not pushing anything if it hurts. I still walk like a penguin, and likely that won't change until well after the left hip is resurfaced.

My left hip now has crappy ROM. There is a constant burning like sensation, aggravated by sitting for any period. This is the one to be operated on August 17th. Just 4 years ago I was able to do the splits, despite the fused spine. Pretty far from that now.

I am reading about the healing periods for BHR's, and I get what people are saying about things like running. I have dreams where I am running on the trails around here, and it breaks my heart to think I will never do it again. I can tell that this will take a while, though. I think the 1 year post-op estimate by some posting here seems like a good idea.

I have limited my climbing to top-roping in the gym. I have gone outside, but carrying a pack is not a good idea right now. It's too soon for the right "new" hip, and too hard on the undone hip. Trying to get someone to set up top-ropes for me just doesn't happen the way it needs to, and it all just gets to be a bit of a battle. So I work out, but really - no "sports".

The hope that I will one day return to some sort of life of quality is bolstered by remembering my car accident in '82 and the ensuing recovery that actually took years, and where I had no expectations. Here I just want to be back at life again, but clearly it won't be until next summer - if all goes well. So far, I am not even really sure if #1 went well!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 11:39:38 AM by Geoffcreighton »

Roboclimber

• Roboclimber
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 07:33:12 AM »
I am 6 weeks post-op, and for some reason the last week I have had a regular occurrence of nerve pain that has me back on the heavy meds. I am hoping this goes away with time, as I have noticed it is still really easy to overdo things and I am pretty keen.

My wife finally left me after 5 years of having someone who was not sharing her life with her in the way she wanted. I won't get into the right or wrong with our situation, but it needs to be pointed out how much of a strain this whole episode has been on our relationship. I don't think either one of us is acting the way we were 6 years ago.

I see the surgeon tomorrow. I still have hope that 6 months from now these aches and pains will be gone, and I will be climbing regularly...at least, in the gym. :)

Most recent x-ray attached, showing spinal and hip instrumentation, implants...and the lead shield to protect the family jewels.

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 08:19:16 AM »
Geoff, sorry to hear about the breakup. I also went through a divorce as I was doing the hips and can relate to how much pressure this puts on a relationship. It's not necessarily the cause but demands things that the other person may be unable to give.

At six weeks, there's a lot of pressure on your body, it may be that in your recuperation things got inflamed and will improve. I know I had numbness in my thing that eventually went away, but would wax and wane.

Good luck, brother - have you thought of counseling, to help with the emotional stress? I went through a couple of years of it to deal with things.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Roboclimber

• Roboclimber
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 07:55:36 PM »
Thanks for those words, Hernanu. When it rains it pours, it seems. In any event, I saw Dr. Antoniou on Tuesday, and he seems pretty psyched about my progress. He has been very personable and attentive - despite being obviously in huge demand with his time.

I am going to climb indoors on TR tomorrow, almost 6 weeks to the day of the last surgery. I ditched the cane last weekend :) .

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »
That's great on the cane, Geoff - it's a big step. You'll get some weakness to overcome, but should be on the up in no time. I'm glad Dr. Antoniou was excited about things.

Rain always lifts, Geoff - you'll get there, you've already put things in motion.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

phillwad

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 09:58:43 PM »
In the last month I have been on an indoor climbing wall in Gaithersburg, Maryland, a couple of time - great fun.  I need to impove my range of motion to take better advantage of the new hips

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear