+-

Author Topic: Airports  (Read 3172 times)

Lopsided

Airports
« on: September 12, 2011, 11:30:11 AM »
I have just flown overseas, which is something I do not like doing, and have not done since coming home from the operation. So I had a three legged journey with the mandatory gauntlet of the airport search and scanners. I presume this is standard for all hippies, but not all airports are the same.

First airport was Bangkok international. I showed them my x-ray card but they were not interested. Had to take my belt and shoes off, got a thorough search with the wand and a perfunctory frisk. Then the undignified part where you have to gather all your possessions and put your belt and shoes on again.

Heathrow international. They were not interested in my x-ray card, but did seem interested that I had metal implants. Got a thorough frisking and the wand still beeped. Asked to take my belt off. Another frisking. The wand still beeped. Asked to take my shoes off. Yet another frisking, and the wand still beeped. I think that is when he actually believed I had metal implants. Then the undignified part where you have to gather all your possessions and put your belt and shoes on again. Again. No sign if the much publicized full body scanners that were meant to speed up the whole process.

Finally, the transfer from Bangkok international to domestic. I showed them my x-ray card and stated 'metal implants.' The boy looked at my x-ray and with panic called out in Thai (I can understand) 'He's got a pacemaker!' I walked straight through without delay.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
Re: Airports
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 12:54:53 PM »
LOL - That's awesome...

Guess the guy knew you were a hippy at heart. 

(OK that's a really bad joke - but I thought it was hilarious!)

Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).
To follow my progress visit my blog: Bilateral Hip Replacement

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 02:26:59 PM »
 ::) Groan.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 02:55:10 PM »
Aside from the poor humour (I blame the late hour!), it is really interesting to me to read all of the airport experiences.  The Bangkok one is particularly interesting to me as I am hoping to go in the holidays at the end of the year and was a little worried about it.  I'm sure it will all go smoothly but knowing others got through it gives me a lot of confidence :D
Bilateral Birmingham Mid Head Resection (BMHR): 8 April 2011 (Dr Simon Journeaux at Mater Private).

Lopsided

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »
Aside from the poor humour

Lori, I am rich on poor humour.

The Bangkok one is particularly interesting to me as I am hoping to go in the holidays at the end of the year and was a little worried about it.

Does that mean you are hoping to go to Thailand, or you are hoping to go on holiday at all? Please let me know.

D.

Anniee

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:42:22 AM »
Lop, I kinda like your poor humor!  My experiences going to Denver and back, and Sweden and back last summer was both similar and different.  Nobody is interested in looking at your X-ray card.  I guess it's too easy to fake or something.  I flew out of Augusta, GA - small airport, no whole body scanner, so I had to have to pat-down.  In Denver, Atlanta and Amsterdam, they have whole body scanners.  I volunteered for those to avoid the pat down, which is much more time-consuming.  They put on gloves, pat you down quite thoroughly, and then you have to wait while they put their hands under the sniffer to see if there are any explosive smells.  I think Stockholm may have the whole body scanners, but I was not given a choice, and was patted again.  Next time I'll try the pacemaker trick and see how that works!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 01:47:05 AM »
I can't wait to go through a scanner! I don't fly much and am not around them anywhere. Would they frown on it if I went to the airport near me and asked to walked through a scanner just for fun?   ;D

I know, more poor humor.  ::)
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

MattBrunner

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 03:32:44 AM »
I have wondered what will happen with the TSA.  I go back to work next week and fly every week for work I have never heard about the card you are talking about who gave you the implant card?  Clearly internationally that isn't much help.  I no none of the TSA are going to believe I have metal hip I just figured I would drop my pants and show them my 9" scar... :)

Matt

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 04:35:23 AM »
Matt-

I have heard that the card doesn't really help because the could be forged so easily.  I think you just have to be patient and let them do their search.  Supposedly the full body scanners are supposed to be better because they can see that the implant is internal.

I am flying in a couple of weeks so I will get to find out.  I'll definitely be removing my belt even though I never did before.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

John C

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 05:03:42 AM »
Matt,
You won't have any problems, just be sure to allow an extra few minutes. The TSA will not give any credence to a card of any kind. I always tell them as I walk through the scanner that I have a metal hip. Then they take you off to the side, give you a very inoffensive pat down, and you are on your way in just a couple of minutes. I have always found the TSA folks to be very pleasant and professional, but a few times they even took my wallet and sent it back through the conveyer scan. If at all possible, it is nice to have someone take your carry-ons off of the conveyer belt for you so they are not sitting there for minutes while you get checked.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Lori Cee

• My Bilateral BMHR
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 06:20:15 AM »

Does that mean you are hoping to go to Thailand, or you are hoping to go on holiday at all? Please let me know.

D.

It's more 'hoping to go on holiday'.  The worried wasn't enough to stop me going.  If we manage to get away it will be to Thailand :)  We have friends that live in Bangkok and would love to visit with them.  It just depends on whether we can wrangle work and all of those other fun life things to get a decent number of days away.  We'd want to go for at least two weeks.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:36:29 AM by Lori Cee »

Lopsided

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 09:04:44 AM »
We have friends that live in Bangkok and would love to visit with them.  It just depends on whether we can wrangle work and all of those other fun life things to get a decent number of days away.  We'd want to go for at least two weeks.

I live in the North, and I go to Bangkok only every few months. If you will be going to the North, please let me know. I would be pleased to meet a fellow hippy.

We'd want to go for at least two weeks.

Yes, it takes two weeks to get over the jet lag.

D.

Lopsided

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 09:06:19 AM »
none of the TSA are going to believe I have metal hip I just figured I would drop my pants and show them my 9" scar

That should work.

FlbrkMike

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 03:13:27 PM »
I flew from Long Beach, CA to Salt Lake City in April for my nephew's wedding.  Long Beach is kind of a small airport but Jet Blue flies from there.  They have the old metal detectors but not the new scanners.  I told the guy checking tickets and IDs that I had metal hips, and still had to go through the metal detector (which went off, BTW   :o ), then they gave me the pat down.  It took maybe 4 or 5 minutes extra while my family stood off to the side making fun of me.

In SLC they have the new scanners, where you step inside, put your arms over your head, turn your head and cough (just kidding) and somebody offsite reads the picture and relays the results to the TSA officer by the scanner.  They still had to run the wand up and down my pants legs.  This took about 2 or 3 minutes extra. 

You can be sure that the TSA guys have all seen metal hips before.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

bigblue

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 05:02:18 PM »
As I have mentioned before I just got back Aug 6 from a golf trip to Scotland. I set the detectors off everytime. I was set aside as mentioned and patted down. Coming back at the Glasgow airport they used the wand after the pat down. The TSA in this country have never used the wand on me since the last increased security was implemented. All in all it takes about 5 extra minutes. The ones who have patted me down have not been bad.

Denver_wrench

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 06:54:29 PM »
Anniee, would you say that DIA is pretty easy to get through...about how much extra time would it take on an outbound flight and does it make a diffrence if it's an international destination?
LBHR June 9, 2011, St. Joseph's, Denver, CO

Tin Soldier

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 09:34:22 PM »
I fly to Salt Lake next week, I'll let everyone know how much fun I had with the pat-down.  Yeah my surgeon said don't bother with a card.  I showed off my arse to the world wide web twice on my blog, I have no qualms about showing the TSA both cheeks.  I'm proud of my scars.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Anniee

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
Denver, you really only need maybe an extra 10 minutes if you go in a line that does not have the full body scanner. DIA is very efficient, and I'm padding the time a little, just in case of glitches, and because not all of the lines have the full body scanners.  For the pat-down, you have to wait for the sniffer to smell the gloves and clear you, and for the full body scanner, you have to wait for the person who is actually looking at the images to relay to the person at the scanner that you scanned OK, so if there is some type of communication breakdown there, you may have to wait a little longer.  I did not have anyone run wands up and down my legs after either of these procedures. 

Dan, I don't think the full body scanners can see that the implant is internal, I think they an just see that you don't have any foreign objects strapped to the outside of your body.

Neither one of the procedures is really a big deal to me.  A few extra minutes, that's all.  And yes, you will set of the metal detectors!  I always tell the TSA people that I have an implant before I go through.
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

DGossack

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »
Anniee-

Yes, of course.  I guess that was what I was trying to convey.  That they wouldn't see anything external.  If you went through a metal detector first they would have to conclude the metal is internal.

I guess I could tell them I take a multi-vitamin with LOTS of iron.

Dan
LBHR, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Tin Soldier

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 04:19:54 AM »
I'll tell'm I've been drinking too much of that beer with an excellent head due to the cobalt they added.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats