+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Flexibility Question  (Read 5817 times)

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
Flexibility Question
« on: September 13, 2011, 02:12:36 AM »
I am at six weeks today.  The big news is that the 90 degree restriction is removed.  I have been waiting for this for some time now.

The problem is that my muscles are so tight that I can't reach my left foot.  I was hoping to be able to put my sock and tie my shoes.  I am frustrated because I didn't expect to be this tight!

I have started stretching but I am wondering.

1.  Are there specific stretches that you did to work on getting your flexibility back?
2.  How long was it that you got to the point of being able to tie your shoes?

Thanks.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Lopsided

Re: Flexibility Question
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 04:52:50 AM »
Dan, you will get your movement back. Much more than you had before the operation. It will come partly from the stretching you do, and partly it will come anyway. Not all at one go, maybe you will continue to improve for a year, or longer.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

jjmclain

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 07:12:56 AM »
Hi Dan,

I was very tight as well from the 90 degree restriction. Now that you don't have to worry about that, the thing that I found most beneficial was getting on a spin bike or your bike at home on a trainer. That will really help loosen things up and you will see a difference after each session. In a week, you will be amazed at how much has changed.

June

ScubaDuck

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:46:49 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

June, I noticed this morning that my hip muscles seem to relax after a session on the cycle.  I was pretty much 90 degrees to start the session but could slowly bend forward a little.

I will have my PT give me some good stretches.  I am worried that I am stressing my back trying to stretch those muscles.

Dan

jjmclain

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:59:38 PM »
Before doing any static stretches, make sure you warm up or do dynamic stretching. While standing, you can swing the leg forward and back, then knee up towards chest and back, then what is called getting on and off of the horse, forward and backward. Do it on both legs to loosen up  your back, hips, and legs.  Hope that helps! But yes, the cycling really helps and same with swimming. You could probably even do flip turns now which will help. It seems like with every new thing you are allowed to do again, the more your range of motion as well as your strength comes back.

June

FlbrkMike

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 04:04:15 PM »
If you have access to one of these it really helps improve your flexion as well as building up strength with a no impact workout.

Before my two BHRs I could no longer reach far enough to strap my feet in or grab the pull bar.  I'm on it up to five hours a week now.

What I need the most work on now is stretching the quads, flexors and hamstrings.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:10:18 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Nemesis

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:12:20 AM »
What has helped me is not only trying to increase my range of motion but my flexibility in my hams and glutes. The other key to my success in increasing my range of motion is not necessarily holding a stretch at the max position but holding a stretch at say 85% and slowing increasing the position over 3 or more minutes.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 01:28:30 AM »
What helped me was putting my shoes and socks on every morning ::)

The hip capsule tissue is slow to change over, I think 100 to 300 days for the cells to regrow, so one stretch today won't get you much.  Daily stretching, however, will get you a little bit in a few weeks or longer.  I was very slow to gaining flex.  I think you'll notice something in a week or two.  I would notice a slight change every couple weeks after the 6 week mark.  I think I was pretty much at about the same point.  I think I even blamed Pritchett for sewing me up too tight. ???  Gotta make sure there are no dislocations, right?   No, I think that's just how this goes with HR. 

BTW - getting the shoes and socks on right now, is a pain in the butt, literally.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Aerial

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 08:25:11 PM »
Oh I am seriously misinformed, I didn't think you had a 90 degree restriction with resurfacing for as long as six weeks.  It this a standard amount of time?  That will be tough for me.  I somehow can still bend over and place my hands flat on the floor and do this frequently to stretch my hamstrings and open my lower back.  I can easily bend over and put my shoes on with my legs straight.  What I can not do is bend over flex my bad hip and put my shoe on my bad hip side (with the knee bent and pulled up).  I can imagine there would be a lot of tightness after not bending over.....in fact it makes my back hurt thinking about it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:26:56 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

FlbrkMike

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 10:47:05 PM »
Hi Aerial,

Each surgeon follows his own protocol, and it probably depends on precisely how they approach the surgery.  Some will give you a 90 degree flexion restriction and some won't.  My surgeon put it at 120 degrees mostly, I think, because the PTs want to see some number.  I couldn't get close to 120 right after my surgery anyway.  His most important restrictions were outward rotation and crossing the midline above the knee, as these motions tend to rotate the ball out of the socket.
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

jjmclain

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 09:24:23 AM »
Aerial,

The 90 degree restriction depends on the surgeon. I had it for four weeks. I was like you, no problem bending over touching hands to floor, putting on and tying shoes etc.. But same thing with the rotation as yours. After the 4 week restriction was lifted, I was very tight, but it all came back quickly, including the rotation I had not had in a couple of years!

June

Aerial

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 11:01:04 AM »
Does anyone know how Dr. Gross handles this?  (what is his restriction)

Sorry, didn't mean to steal this thread?
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

John C

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 03:55:30 PM »
Just to clarify something mentioned in an earlier post, I believe that it is inward rotation (toes turning toward the midline) that is often restricted for awhile. Outward rotation (toes pointing away from the midline) does not stress the head away from the socket, and is not a problem.
As far as Dr Gross, you should obviously check for your individual case since he has more than one protocol for different situations, but I believe that his normal protocol is still pretty conservative for the first 6 weeks; 90 degree restriction, avoid internal rotation, and a limit on how much weight you can lift.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

FlbrkMike

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 05:17:56 PM »
Just to clarify something mentioned in an earlier post, I believe that it is inward rotation (toes turning toward the midline) that is often restricted for awhile. Outward rotation (toes pointing away from the midline) does not stress the head away from the socket, and is not a problem.

John, you are absolutely correct.  I must be getting old...
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 08:33:09 PM »
John C,

Yes, you are correct about Dr. Gross. That is his protocol. Unless of course there is a patient with a different situation.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 12:42:59 AM »
I was told no crossing center line and had the 90 degree restriction for 6 weeks. 

ScubaDuck

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 01:02:13 AM »
Tin-

You just found out about not crossing the centerline?  How have you not had a head-on collision before now?

And I have always been a big proponent of the 90 degree restriction.  If it gets much hotter I just can't take it.

Hope your recovery is going great.

Dan

FlbrkMike

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 01:12:09 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Tin Soldier

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 11:22:33 PM »
That's my worst fear, crossing the centerline,..... when driving!.  That would just downright suck, especially if you met a semi. 

I have noticed early in recovery that when you rotate the knee inward a little, against doc's order's, hey sometimes it happens, there is a pretty sharp pain that tunes you up pretty quick.  I'd like to think that the pain will be there to remind you that you shouldn't be doing that and it will come on strong way before the femur dislocates.  I hope.

FlbrkMike

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 02:25:04 AM »
I can remember at one point fairly soon, probably 3 or 4 weeks, after my RBHR I was laying on my back on my bed.  I had my left leg stretched out straight and my right knee up in the air with my foot pulled up toward my butt, a position that felt really good sometimes.  As most can probably relate to, my hips felt a lot looser after surgery than before - that smooth ROM is really a great feeling.  I must have started dozing off because suddenly my right knee started falling over across my left leg, just the thing you don't want to do.  It must have startled me awake because it seems like I caught myself before my knee fell all the way over and twisted my hip out of its socket.  It gave me a little twinge, and a big scare.  Needless to say I was very careful after that not to fall asleep with one knee in the air.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:25:51 AM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat