+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Getting Rid of Limp  (Read 6543 times)

gibbcutter

Getting Rid of Limp
« on: September 13, 2011, 06:25:10 AM »
10 week post op anniversary today.  Everything has gone well.  I still have a slight limp.

Any suggestions as to how to eliminate the limp?

Thank you.

Lopsided

Re: Getting Rid of Limp
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:00:07 AM »
Any suggestions as to how to eliminate the limp?

Yes. Keep using the walking stick or one crutch. Your limp will definitely go, so long as you do not learn bad habits by abandoning the stick. You have recently had a substantial operation and it will take time to heal. Do do be put off by other people saying they did sky diving on day three and such.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

jjmclain

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 07:08:17 AM »
You should also ask your PT for some exercises that will help strengthen the muscles surrounding the hip. As Hernanu said, it takes time and everyone heals at a different rate.

June

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:26:53 AM »
Hi

How long did you use your crutches or cane?  I was told to use a crutch or cane UNTIL I did not limp.  If you are limping, you still need some extra support as far as I have learned.  I am not a doctor or medically trained, but that is the advice my surgeon, Dr. De Smet, gives to his patients.  Get a cane and use it on the opposite side of the surgery to give the operated leg some extra support.  Also concentrate on using a proper gait with the heal to toe step.  You need to teach your new hip and leg to walk properly again.  You might need the PT to help you.  Also ask your doctor's office if you should see him or what to do. Always keep your surgeon in the loop when you have problems.  Some people heal very slowly and need walking aids longer than others.  Don't be embarrassed and use the cane to help you get rid of the limp.  You don't want a permanent limp. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

cassiewoofer

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:51:38 AM »
Hi Gibcutter.... You take it slow!......can I direct you to my answer here where someone is in a similar position to you.:-

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=2702.0;topicseen

Keith

Denver_wrench

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 02:59:14 PM »
I agree with the other folks. Using a cane for balance, rather than putting a lot a weight on it, helps. Also, being very conscious of how you walk (and asking for input from others-I was limping when I wasn't aware I was limping) is very important. I have found balancing exercises (like on a dense foam cushion) are very helpful. At 3 months I'm not limping anymore.
LBHR June 9, 2011, St. Joseph's, Denver, CO

einreb

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 03:00:33 PM »
My limp decreased noticeably as my abductors got stronger (side leg lifts, rubber band stretch, etc).

I was amazed at how the PT could identify bad muscles, stabilizers, etc and target them.... but the cool thing is how fast your body responds and recovers (hopefully) when you find the weak links and correct them.

40yo at the time of my 2/16/2011 left hip uncemented Biomet resurface with Tri Spike Acetabular cup by Gross

Anniee

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 07:56:22 PM »
I was surprised at how much concentration it requires to walk without a limp after the surgery.  Most of us are not used to having to think about how we walk!  I had to think about it for at least 2 months after the surgery.  I would catch myself limping, and then I could correct it. 
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »
I think the same thing about how much concentration it takes.  I found that if I did different types of walking with cane and without, later one, I would use different muscles.  Strut, bounce a little, walk like a race walker (heel-toe-heel-toe), lengthen the stride.  I think the key is to not walk like Frankenstein.  Obviously I wouldn't walk unusual for long periods, only enough to notice the minor diffierences in the gait.

Another thought, is that a limp might not even be due to any pain or discomfort at the ends of the ROM, it may simply be due to you walking like that for 6 weeks or more.  PT always said it takes about 6 weeks for "muscle memory" to set in.  If you change your gait now, it may take 6 weeks for you to not think about it when walking.  Work with your PT and work on a smooth stride and you'll get there.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

John C

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:38:05 PM »
For me, there were three keys to getting rid of the limp; 1. Strengthen all of the small hip stabilizers. I think that one legged balancing on a half ball, and variations on one legged squats are great for this. 2. Stretch out those hip flexors, since chronic contracture of those muscles is really common in hip arthritis, and one of the main causes of limping. 3. Lots of concentration on how you walk. I limped for a good 12 years before I had surgery, and I really had to retrain myself in how to walk. After three years, I still need to focus on my walk, or a short stride will creep back in.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

MattBrunner

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 11:40:40 PM »
I think the suggestion of working on the stabilizer mussels is the right advice, after you don't have any risk of falling without a cane or crutches.

I know where I am at 5 weeks I still limp at times but after PT or a workout of my exercises of the stabilizer mussels its almost not noticeable.  I notice the limp again whenever I am tired or over do it.  My PT has me on a lot of ballacing exercises and different leg ISO lifts. 

You can find a lot of them if you just Goggle "Leg Stabilizing Exercises"

Lets us know how it turns out.

Matt

lori.36

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 11:17:50 AM »
Gibb,
Have you tried walking in a pool at waist deep?  Are you doing the PT?  All I can say is keep trying, keep walking and hopefully one day it will go away.  I can say that when I first gave up my cane, I still had a little limp and that was at 6 weeks, but at 9 weeks walking like a champ.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 01:24:31 PM »
I definitely agree with Lori.

I have been diligently doing the exercises assigned my PT.  I have also been walking alot, aqua jogging, and just started on the stationary cycle.

I am at just over six weeks and have been walking unassisted for about a week and a half.  There is a little limp from time to time as I get started.  I felt unsure of my hip at first which caused me to limp.  I also strengthened and stretched all the muscles in that leg.

I can still feel some pain in the hip flexor and groin.  But I concentrate on walking slowly and deliberately so that I don't create bad habits.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM