+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 week update  (Read 2237 times)

Tin Soldier

3 week update
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:50:17 AM »
Three weeks ago I was in the hospital watching a movie with my wife sitting next to me in the huge hospital bed.  I was falling asleep and missed half the movie and we had to be careful with all the lines coming in and going out of me.  The nurse "murse" was from Nigeria.  He was pretty cool, sort of inspired me to become a murse.  He was there on the first hip I had in February.    On the first go round I told him "I think I'm getting backed up" and he said well, "order some coffee and prune juice and if that doesn't work, we'll put a suppository in."  Not sure why that's inspiring, but maybe it is was because of his matter of factness.  The second hip surgery was much easier. 

So today, I walked/caned if you will, from my parked car to the office about a half mile distance, and then at lunch went a few blocks for a burrito, and then back to the car at the end of the day.  As I worked into the stride, it got easier and things loosened up.  Tunes on, walking, and sun out, saying hello to everyone.  Felt pretty damn good.  I can feel things starting to get normal again and it just feels great.  Starting PT tomorrow and looking forward to it.  I consider the PT more than a physical therapist, he's funny, and we always have a good time joking around.  Looking forward to it.

I'm able to sleep on my operated side and roll around in bed, still on the raised toilet, but that'll stay with the posterier restrictions.  Bruising is now in the knee and calf, pretty ugly, and it's kinda tendor.  Next will be 1 mile walks to the PT's office, then the bike, then the unicycle, then skiing (if my insurance doesn't take all my money first), maybe I'll take up surfing.

Enjoy!

LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Lopsided

Re: 3 week update
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:39:05 AM »
You sound very well, Cobalt Chrome Soldier.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 07:33:07 AM »
Sounds good Tin! You and I diverge after the bike, I was uniquely unsuccessful with the unicycle, more power to you when you're back on it.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Aerial

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 08:04:42 AM »
Sounds like you are doing great.  I am so encouraged by these positive posts from people post-surgery.  I am so ready to get "fixed" myself!  Let us know when the first unicycle ride happens!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 01:06:15 PM »
Great update Tin.

After six weeks I am feeling very normal myself.  I stepped up the workouts but that is only causing a little more soreness.  Otherwise I have been walking without assistance for almost two weeks.  I carry the cane in the car just in case I need to elicit some sympathy.

I know that my restrictions have been removed.  The muscles are slowly loosening up and range of motion is slowly coming back.  I am now about three inches from touching my toes.

I am concerned that I will feel so normal that I might do something that could compromise the bone healing.  I guess I need to tie a string around my finger.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

jjmclain

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »
Great news for both of you! Dan, just wait until your 4 month check-up to do anything extreme!!!

June

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 03:43:11 PM »
Thanks all.  Hey I just got back from PT and I rode the recumbent stationary, minding the posterir restrictions, and the knee didn't go way out to the side to compensate and I had no pain at the top of the stroke.   Now looking forward to getting on a real bike. 

BTW - after sitting for awhile after a PT session, I'm a little stiff and slow to get the hip "greased" and all.  :o  Certainly not out of the woods yet. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal