+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knowing it's time.....  (Read 4343 times)

Aerial

Knowing it's time.....
« on: September 15, 2011, 06:18:19 PM »
Confirmation surgery is needed at this point.  I was walking around Target today and was looking for some party ware.  I bought the way more expensive plastic cutlery by the gift wrapping because buying the cheaper stuff meant having to walk all the way across the store!  After a day at work and being on my feet I could not bare having to walk across the store....this from a once sub 3 hour marathoner....yes, December 5 will be a welcome date in my middle age life  :-\
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 06:19:01 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Anniee

Re: Knowing it's time.....
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 06:28:42 PM »
I know exactly what you're talking about!  Good thing you already have your surgery scheduled!

My "old" hip is getting really bad.  Today, I could not even finish 20 minutes on the elliptical, and I've pretty much had to stop my lunchtime walks.  I used to walk a 3 miles at a great clip everyday at lunch.  We have walking trails that are maintained by the Forest Service behind my office, and those walks were a great break in the middle of the workday.  This left hip is now quite a bit worse than my right hip was before the surgery, and I didn't even know I had OA in it until February of this year!  October 12 cannot come fast enough!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Aerial

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:22:05 PM »
Good luck in October.  I actually could have picked up an opening in October but it doesn't work with my job.  I am really to the point that my whole body feels so forgien to me.  I wish I could swing surgery earlier.  You are about 5 miles from my house when you are at Providence!

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:00:27 PM »
Aerial,

If only you knew how we Hippys and pre-Hippys can identify with what you are saying! We could go on with telling many stories just like yours. You are very much not alone. Again, you are so fortunate to live so close to Providence and Dr. Gross. This all will soon be history. Hang in there!

Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 09:00:39 PM »
Sounds like you both are more than ready.

LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

MattBrunner

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 10:27:03 PM »
Good for you we can all recall that day when we just decided not being able to walk couldn't wait anymore.

Now you will be counting the days until the surgery.  Best of Luck on the big day.

Matt

Tin Soldier

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 11:05:46 PM »
Totally agree.  I had the same confirmations recently when walking around Seattle with my wife 2 days prior to surgery.  There was a constant pain in the hip.  I knew it was the right thing to do.  I'm happy for you and I think we can all agree that listening to everyone's story never gets old, like Matt says we've all been there.  I look forward to giving you a good sendoff before surgery and anxiously await your first post without pain. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Cantab

• Paul
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 05:20:29 PM »
This is my first post as I just registered yesterday here.  This feed's title was exactly what my ortho said to me a couple of years ago, "When will I need to have my hip surgery?, his response was, " Oh, you'll know when it's time".  Well it's time!     I was very active my whole life, sports and work.  I have been a police officer for 30 yrs and carrying this damn gunbelt(20 lbs worth) has really done a number on my legs.  I worked a double yesterday and was really achy by the end of the shift. But the good news is my Dr's office called last week and set my surgery date for Nov. 10.  Dr Specht from Lahey Clinic is doing it, I haven't seen his name here yet.  I'm from Boston and had planned on getting a full replacement, a recommendation from the chief of ortho at Mass General, until I met Terry O'Reilly, former Boston Bruin.  Terry had both hips resurfaced       (BHR) several years ago and is now skating again several times a week.  I can't wait until next winter and I hope to be playing hockey again.  Thanks to all the people who post here I kind of know what to expect, I know it won't be easy but it's better than limping the rest of my life.  I found some preop exercises here and have started to really strengthen the core and legs to better cope with the surgery, I hope.   Thanks again.
RBHR Nov. 10, 2011.  Dr Specht Lahey Clinic, Burlington, MA

Boomer

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 05:36:46 PM »
Paul,

Your first post was a winner!

Initially it's scary to think about, and you don't mind putting it off for awhile. Then you read all the wonderful posts from people on this website and it makes it easier to get moving toward getting better. As others have already stated, "This is when you get your life back".

Good luck to you. Stay posted. The folks on this website are exceptionally inspirational.

Boomer

RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 09:05:35 PM »
Paul,

Best wishes and yes, you will run, jump and play again soon. Keep posting, you'll get lots of good stuff here. Welcome!
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 11:00:41 PM »
Welcome.  I think you'll find that once you get a little past surgery, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.  Surgery and recovery is actually sort of a short window in the scheme of things.  Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 10:29:01 AM »
Paul,
      Welcome to the board. It's a great place for passage of information and support. I hope that it helps you on your journey as much as it has for me!
I basicly knew it was time after my arthroscopy and my surgeon explained to me after that my hip looked horrific inside. I of course being a typical male decided I knew better but he said he thought I'd be asking for a new hip inside the next year! Well he wasnt far wrong as 13 months to the day after my key hole I'm scheduled for my HR!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 11:23:53 AM »
Paul, welcome and congrats on reaching that decision. Love the picture too! got a couple of tee shirts with the old Pat.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

phillwad

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 08:28:37 AM »
Good luck - I am in recovery 2 1/2 weeks post my second hip and "the other side'  is so much better.

Cheers - Phill

Lopsided

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 09:35:11 AM »
Seems as if the proportion of bilaterals in increasing.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Tin Soldier

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 11:56:45 AM »
Pritchett said about 50% of his first patients are bi-lat.  I don't think I could have worn down my left hip without wearing down my right hip. ???

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 01:11:46 PM »
Makes me wonder how my right hip is just fine and my left was in bad shape.  The only thing I can think of was a ski accident 30 years ago.

I have wondered if this new hip is going to act much different than my real hip.  Will have different flexibility?

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Aerial

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »
I seem to have a horrible hip on the right and a left hip that is fine.  I also wonder why that might be?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:25:22 PM by Aerial »

Anniee

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 08:23:57 PM »
I think there are many different reasons why hips go bad.  My friend who referred me to Dr. Gross had one of her hips resurfaced 7 years ago, and has no problems at all with the other hip.  When I had my first appointment with Dr. Gross, which was for my right hip, he pointed out that both of my hips were in bad shape (although at the time, I had not noticed any problems with the left hip).  I asked him how come I have this problem, when most of my close relatives, like my mother and father, uncles, aunts, etc., lived well into their 80's and 90's with no arthritis.  The problem is that my acetabulum is abnormally deep (something I was most likely born with), which causes abnormal wear of the joint.  Per Dr. Gross, virtually 100% of people with this problem will end up bone on bone in their hip joint if they live long enough.  My mother was quite upset when I told her about this.  She is 97 and has no hip problems.

This reminds me of a story my horse vet told me, after I told him about my hip problem (he noticed I was limping and asked my why).  He told me his grandmother had pains in one of her hips and he took her to the doctor.  The doctor told her her hip was worn out and needed to be replaced.  She asked him why.  He said, well, Mrs. XX, that hip is 87 years old and it is worn out.  She said, doctor, my other hip is the same age, and it is just fine!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Lopsided

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 08:27:26 PM »
I don't think I could have worn down my left hip without wearing down my right hip. ???

Yes Tin, this requires substantial self control from the patient.

Lopsided

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM