+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chances for an old motorcyclist getting resurfacing?  (Read 6283 times)

twday63

Chances for an old motorcyclist getting resurfacing?
« on: September 17, 2011, 03:43:49 PM »
I'm 63 and have been riding since I was a teenager. My hips started bothering me a couple of years ago and it took a year before I found a physician who could diagnose the cause; arthritis and "use and abuse." Now, I'm looking for a solution before I become completely immobile. Currently, I'm still riding regularly, but I can't walk far without a lot of pain, especially left hip. I know this is a procedure for "young patients," but I wonder if any of you have had resurfacing over 60 and how it has gone for you.

hernanu

Re: Chances for an old motorcyclist getting resurfacing?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 05:39:47 PM »
Plenty of active people over 60 who've had this posting on here. I'll let them talk to you, but it seems to work just fine so long as you're a good candidate. Welcome and you're in the right place.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 12:05:05 AM »
Yes, there are many over 60. Keep coming back and you will see some of them here. Welcome!
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

twday63

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:23:28 PM »
So far, I'm striking out. The 4 surgeons who do resurfacing in this area consider me too old for the procedure. One, Dr. Robert Morgan, insists that I need a total replacement.  :( I've looked into total replacement and it appears that I'd be in for a total downscaling of my lifestyle. I hurt every day, but I don't hurt that bad. Maybe I'll just down pain killers until they quit working.

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:31:14 PM »
What area are you in? Maybe you can get in touch with Doctors from Pat's list that will look at your XRays. They can tell you if they think you're a good candidate for HR. Several folks here have travelled a ways to get a good resurfacing. You probably need to expand your area, since you're not getting good support.

I don't think your age alone argues against an HR. Several posters here have had it above 60. Get another opinion from an experienced doctor. Then you can be sure you have the right information to make a decision.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

John C

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 02:59:08 AM »
Dr Gross uses 65 as his normal cutoff, and even that is flexible. I just turned 60, and expect to have my second hip done by him in the next year or two, which would put me at about your age.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat