+-

Author Topic: Tested the new hip with a little BJJ  (Read 31897 times)

Nemesis

Tested the new hip with a little BJJ
« on: September 21, 2011, 05:16:05 PM »
I was operated on 06/06/11.  Beforehand I had lost all mobility from a prior hip arthroscopy which led to heterotropic occification or crazy bone growth in the muscle.  Dr. SU was my surgeon and admitted he had his hands full due to having to remove all the bone growth and do a hip resurfacing being very careful not to cause any further H/O.

When I woke up I was immediatly better.  My leg was laying flat and I was in no pain.  Mobility came back very slowly but every day I had more movement.  I can now bring my knee to my chest.  I can place my foot on the opposite knee with slight discomfort and working on bringing the foot towards my groin.  Before the operation my foot was 12 inches away from my knee.  Bringing my knee to 90 degrees was painfull and more than 90 degrees was impossible.

Will this week I tried out the hip with a little BJJ with my son.  Now I told my son to go easy and not to put his foot on my operated hip.  We started with my son on his back and me in his guard.  WELL my son immediatly went after his dad hard.  Now my son is only 13 but he is 5'11 and 175 lean pounds and has been doing BJJ/Judo since he was 4.  He regulary beats up on men and has never been beaten in competition in his age group.  I am happy to say I fought out of his guard, went to a north/south position and submitted him.  Now for those of you that don't know BJJ this required a lot of hip swivel and movement. 

I then eased up and I was now in a high turtle position (on all fours) as I did wanted to make sure the hip was ok.  NO PAIN with my son on my back. 

I was then lying on my back with my son in the full mount.  I went to escape and elevated his hips with my feet and went for reversal.  (All of this requiring a lot of hip movement) At this point I am holding my son's weight up in the air with my feet.  I then tried spinning him.  This left my operated hip holding all of his unstable weight.  My leg couldn't hold him up due to muscle weakness and gave out.  BUT NO PAIN.

Now all day I waited to see if any soreness or pain would settle in.  Much to my surprise the hip felt better (looser) and no soreness.

Now I do not recommend anyone trying out there hip as I did.  I know my body very well, I am still highly conditioned, and it was still a risk.  I am posting this to let others know that it is possible to return to BJJ after having horrific hip pain and lack of movement.

Dannywayoflife

Re: Tested the new hip with a little BJJ
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:20:48 PM »
Nice mate! what sub you get him with? I have been unable to train in any martial arts for over a year now and for 3-4 months before that i was limited in what i could do! So the news that fellow mma guys are getting back to training post op is music to my ears!!!!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Nemesis

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 04:29:45 AM »
Nice mate! what sub you get him with? I have been unable to train in any martial arts for over a year now and for 3-4 months before that i was limited in what i could do! So the news that fellow mma guys are getting back to training post op is music to my ears!!!!

Arm triangle from the top north/south position.  One of my favorites as I am top heavy so once I sink my weight down it is very hard to escape. 

I know the feeling of not training.  I have not done any sport since 09/09.  I have tried getting on the mat but all with limitations and limited success.  Just insist on the best doctor and tell him what you wish to accomplish with your new hip.  Before the surgery Dr. Su specifically asked me what I wanted from the operation and I showed him the movement I needed.  I have also heard of him asking other athlete patients what they needed.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:46:39 AM »
Armtriangle is one of my favourites too.
I am pretty hopeful as my surgeon will be mr treacy he's done more than anyone else! Around 5000 but that count is a few years old. So I'm in good hands in the surgery department.
Did you gain any weight when you couldn't train? I've managed to put on about 40 pounds!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

rbt2011

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 11:58:15 PM »
NEMESIS

That is awesome.  Congratulations.  You must be feeling great coming this far in the last 3 months. 

Thanks for the story.  I know Danny and I both are really excited to get the surgery done and get back to BJJ/Martial arts so your story gives us hope.  Speaking for myself at least, I am definitely more confident that I can return to doing this sport after reading your post.

Thanks for sharing.  Best of luck on your continued recovery.
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 01:02:30 AM »
I aggree totally rob it's great to hear from guys who are into the same sports as us further down the recovery line getting back into It.
I remember how broken I was when I first found out that I'd need a new joint and I honestly thought I'd never train again! Now atleast if my op goes well I have hope! Thanks to all you mma/martial arts hippies you give us so much inspiration!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 01:33:42 PM »
Great news, Nemesis - you're right, it was a risk but you know your body. I found somewhat the same thing, my hips feel better when I push them a bit. Nice to keep the youngster down for one more year though  8)
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Nemesis

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 05:17:18 AM »
I did everything I could to stay in shape and didn't gain any weight. That was a product being in pain and losing my appetite. After the pain was resolved i was amazed to realize how much of a true burden it was to me.

For example I would be working out my upper body in the gym and just limping from one part of the gym to another, being self conscious because of the limp, in pain from the hip, it would be very hard to have any sort of drive.

I have always carried a lot of muscle on my body but now that I can workout pain free everyone is commenting on how much more muscle I have been putting on.  In reality the operation has been a blessing.

On keeping the kid down, i will enjoy it while i can but my days are numbered.  My son is very motivated and is a solid adult blue belt at 13. In 8 more years he will be a 21 year old black belt and I will be a 50 year old black belt.  This is a fact he joyfully keeps pointing out to me.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 09:25:11 AM »
Nem,
       I wish that could say ive not gained weight but due to being immobile from the hip and working like a loony. I just have badly neglected my diet and I've paid for it big time!
Ha keep the lad in check for as long as you can sounds like he's going to be a hand full:-)
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 05:13:25 AM »
Nem, have you managed to try any more bjj since your last little roll?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

PistolPete

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 08:26:41 PM »
This is awesome to read.  I'm exactly 2 weeks out from surgery and am nervous but excited to have my range of motion back and to be able to get back on the mats pain free in a few months.  Tonight will be my last night of rolling for a few months so I better make it count.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 09:04:52 PM »
Hay pete welcome to surface hippy! Your 2weeks out I'm 16 days out scary hay?
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
There's some good days ahead for you guys, after the recuperation. Best of luck, you'll do well. Several of us are in the process of getting back to normal (or as normal as martial artists are).

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 10:49:44 PM »
There's some good days ahead for you guys, after the recuperation. Best of luck, you'll do well. Several of us are in the process of getting back to normal (or as normal as martial artists are).
That's very true hern I've berm acused of many thing but being "normal" has never been one of them!  ;D
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

PistolPete

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 01:12:16 AM »
Hay pete welcome to surface hippy! Your 2weeks out I'm 16 days out scary hay?

Way too funny.  We will both have to motivate each other pre and post surgery for sure.  I'm def. getting anxious and nervous as hell.  I'm just praying for a good surgery and quick and healthy recovery.  By next Summer I want to be tearing up the BJJ mats like a crazy person.  HAHA

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 01:34:23 AM »
Ditto pete! I am a mix of excitement and fear. I have to put the whole of my future in the hands of someone else, and being the control freek I am that doesn't sit right with me! So believe me I know how you feel bro!
I'm planning on taking a full 12 months to heal fully its going to be hard but it will take me that long to burn the fat I've put on in the last 14 months!:-(
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Nemesis

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 05:28:20 AM »

Well today I was sitting in on my sons wrestling class getting a lot of joy seeing him throw men around. Yup that's my boy that is doing that.  He kept doing the same mistake of letting them shrimp in because he was not putting his knee on the persons hip to block it and moving towards the head. Well I went down on the mat to correct him. As we are talking with me lazily on his side he trys to whips his Leg over my head and yanks my arm to arm bar it. Instead of sticking to just going over things and telling him to stop I quickly defended.

This had me stoping his leg with one arm moving my operated side foot to my butt so that I could go chest to chest. When I pushed off the operated side I was ok but when i did a quick shift of the hips while pushing off the operated side, with my foot very close to my butt it  REALLY HURT. I stopped and was scared as the pain stayed and I couldn't get up for a few.  I immediately thought I'm done just ruined it. All the hard work for nothing. BUT and thank God I got up shook it off and no after pain or sorness.

I will be going back this month but no rolling yet. Just doing technique and working on my timing.  More for gaining more movement in the hip and continue to slowly build it up.

I know what you guys are going threw as I suffered myself for a long time. From 09/99 to be exact. If you guys want anything specific answered let me know.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 08:08:55 AM »
Hope you feel ok now nem! I'm just driving up to Birmingham today for my pre op.
As you are going to I intend to start out just drilling before I start rolling when I've healed enough. Please keep us posted how you go mate.
Danny
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2011, 03:13:13 PM »

Well today I was sitting in on my sons wrestling class getting a lot of joy seeing him throw men around. Yup that's my boy that is doing that.  He kept doing the same mistake of letting them shrimp in because he was not putting his knee on the persons hip to block it and moving towards the head. Well I went down on the mat to correct him. As we are talking with me lazily on his side he trys to whips his Leg over my head and yanks my arm to arm bar it. Instead of sticking to just going over things and telling him to stop I quickly defended.

This had me stoping his leg with one arm moving my operated side foot to my butt so that I could go chest to chest. When I pushed off the operated side I was ok but when i did a quick shift of the hips while pushing off the operated side, with my foot very close to my butt it  REALLY HURT. I stopped and was scared as the pain stayed and I couldn't get up for a few.  I immediately thought I'm done just ruined it. All the hard work for nothing. BUT and thank God I got up shook it off and no after pain or sorness.

I will be going back this month but no rolling yet. Just doing technique and working on my timing.  More for gaining more movement in the hip and continue to slowly build it up.

I know what you guys are going threw as I suffered myself for a long time. From 09/99 to be exact. If you guys want anything specific answered let me know.

That's what I've found - many things seem to go right, then you do a move and HELLO!...

It's why I'm trying to strengthen the supporting muscles - I know the large muscles are strong enough, it's the little ones that need the help.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2011, 06:37:56 PM »
Thats good to know ill make sure i really work on the stableiseing muscles!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Recent Posts

Re: A Fantastic Surgery Experience by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:20:40 PM

Re: Dr. Pritchard - week November 1, by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:18:37 PM

Re: viruses, and resurfacing by imgetinold
Yesterday at 04:17:26 PM