+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scheduled with Dr. Rector for November 30 - Thanks for the Support  (Read 3637 times)

Boomer

Scheduled with Dr. Rector for November 30 - Thanks for the Support
« on: September 22, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »
I am scheduled to have my first hip resurfaced at Boulder Community Hospital by Dr. Rector on November 30. Not an easy decision as you all know. I want to thank KirkM, DGossack, newdog, Luann, lopsided, hipnhop, hernanu and JohnC for their many positive posts. I could not have moved forward with this without the extraordinary support provided on this website. Pat, many thanks for bringing this whole thing into existence. So much positive energy is concentrated here.

As so many of you have stated. "Its time to get my life back".

Thanks
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

jjmclain

Re: Scheduled with Dr. Rector for November 30 - Thanks for the Support
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 03:34:17 PM »
Good Luck Boomer! You will get your life back!

June

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 08:26:48 PM »
Boomer, your decision might not have been easy, but the operation and recovery is something you can look forward to, and is a process you can enjoy too.

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Boomer

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 09:06:36 PM »
Thanks for your continued support and encouragement. I'm thinking about the vacations I will be able to take next Spring Break and summer after my recovery. I'm thinking about climbing mountains and skiing again someday.

You and so many others provide the trail for newbies like me to follow. It's been a humbling experience in so many ways to be disabled and see no way to get better. This website, and good folks like you make such a difference. I had no idea.

Thanks again.

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 10:33:02 PM »
Good for you, Boomer! good news. It's one year and one day after my last was done, so I'll be celebrating and toast you as well as other hippys who are going in November.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 12:28:47 AM »
That hard decision is made.  Now it is time to prepare mentally and physically.  You will not regret it.  I am only seven weeks post op and can already tell this was a very good decision.

Yes, thanks to Pat for giving us this forum to pay it forward.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 04:35:26 PM »

It's been a humbling experience in so many ways to be disabled and see no way to get better.

You said it right there, Boomer. We all know that feeling. Now look forward. Your attitude is great!
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Anniee

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 05:43:51 PM »
Best of luck Boomer!  You'll be so glad you had it done!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »
Good job.  I was relieved once I made that first decision. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Boomer

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 05:48:07 PM »
Tin Soldier,

Thanks for the post. I did feel relieved when I finally called and scheduled the surgery, because I knew that was the big step toward getting better. Now, I'm going through the anxious stage, trying to stay calm and channel positive thoughts and images. I expect most Hippys go through similar emotional stages.

I continued to be motivated and cheered by people like you, who have already been down the road, and who stay to support us newbies.

Aerial

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 05:58:29 PM »
Hello Boomer- I am in the same boat as you.  Relieved to have a date but anxious at the same time.  I will follow you by several days with surgery on 12/05  The surgery date will be here before you know it!  I keep telling myself I have been dealing with hip pain for nearly three years so what is another couple of months! You just get to the point that you want it over!
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Boomer

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 07:13:36 PM »
Aerial,

I have a colleage who had his hip done 5 years ago by Dr. Rector. He was Rector's fifth resurfacing. He just had his annual follow up x-ray done last week and everything if fine. He's 60 years old and doing everything he wants here in Colorado. He skis, climbs, bikes and golfs like he did before the arthritis. Whenever I get spooked, I call or see him. Here's what he tells me. "You will be better after the surgery, than you were before. Better then you've been in years. You'll be in less pain after the surgery, then before." The first time I told him I was afraid of the procedure, he simply asked "Why, you're going to get better for the first time in years. What are you afraid of?" What a wonderful sanity anchor!

You and I are blessed to have fabulous surgeons, and their entire support network of experienced people, ready to take care of us every step of the way.

Thanks for the post.

Tin Soldier

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 04:37:32 PM »
Someone should write a book on the seven stages of HR.

1.  Deciding if and when (researching, wondering and asking a lot of questions)
2.  Getting a surgery date (relief and somewhat uplifting)
3.  Before surgery (anxiety) and then going back to #1 (researching, wondering, and asking a lot of questions)
4.  Day of surgery (tired because you didn't sleep, then wiped out after surgery, but when you wake you are relieved again)
5.  Primary recovery (emotional from the drugs and the stress, again releived, but maybe some pain, getting used to the recliner and poor sleeping arrangements)
6.  Secondary recovery (uplifting because PT is good, the hip is starting to feel better, a glimpse at your future)
7.  Life as a Hippy (awe, awe) and the clouds parted and a beam light shines down from the sky, you have become one with your new cobalt chrome hip and life begins again.

BTW - Aerial and Boomer your emotions are perfectly normal, we all felt that way.  You'll do fine so don't be anxious.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Boomer

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 05:05:38 PM »
Great post Tin Soldier, and right on the money, at least to step #3, which is where I am.

I cannot imagine anyone going through this process unless they have the support of the people on this website.

Thanks for the upbeat post. It all helps, every day. Stay with us newbies until we get to the other side.

Anniee

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »
Perfect description, Tin!  I find myself going through all of those stages again - one would think that after having this surgery once, there would be no need.  I know I need it, I know I'll feel so much better afterwards, I know there's no real need to worry, but I still do!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

hernanu

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 09:41:33 PM »
Annie, like Tin, I've double dipped. It's natural to be nervous even the second time around, since you want both sides perfect, all I can tell you that even though no one has guarantees, the best probabilities say that your second will be as good as your first. I knew how to do well those things that help you recover the second time around, and got less nervous about things tweaking, clunking or tiring then.

And then you're done! That's the amazing thing. You're done and can go forward. This applies to both you and Boomer.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

newdog

• I am a Gross Hippy!
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 09:52:19 PM »
That was good, Tin. I wish I could meet personally with people in Step #3. I know I could make them feel so much less anxious if we could sit down and talk face to face. I wish I could see everyone on this forum in person.

Boomer, we're here for you. I too received immeasurable support on this site and still do. I can't even imagine what would have happened to me or where I would be today without it.

Anniee, I know that if I was going through with another surgery, I would be nervous again also. It's just natural. There's just other things we would rather do and other places we would rather be. You will soon be done. You'll be amazed how it feels to have both hips good again. Smooth, no clicking, no surprise stabs of pain. No more saying "ouch" all the time. It's an incredible feeling to just glide along taking long strides. You'll see.
Steve, Dr. Gross bilateral, uncemented Biomet, January 10 & 12, 2011, Columbia S.C.

Kiwi

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 10:59:35 PM »
Boomer / Aerial
Good luck to you both. I'm in the same boat and are firmly in Step # 3...nice synopsis Tin!
These guys have been so encouraging & informative.
I'm booked for 2nd Nov & are looking forward to moving forward pain free.
Stay in touch.
Cheers
Simon (aka Kiwi)
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

lori.36

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2011, 01:53:02 PM »
Boomer,  Excited for you and your new hip.  Just try to get as fit as possible before surgery.  I swam every day for 20 minutes, I think you live in AZ, so you could also bike?  Also there is the PT exercise routine for pre surgery, get a foam roller to keep the hip open and get strong it will help you for post op.
Just like your buddy said the pain goes away as soon as you wake up.  Dr R has all the right combos, teammebers, drugs, and rehab.
Also there is a book about resurfacing that I checked out at the library:
Hip Replacement or Hip Resurfacing: A Book of Choices
by Peggy Gabriel
Written by a resurfacing hip replacement patient, this book discusses the advantages and disadvantages of traditional hip replacement versus hip resurfacing.
November 30th will be here before you know it.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Boomer

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
Lori,

I live in beautiful Arvada, Colorado and get to enjoy riding my bikes in the mountains every weekend, and some week days. I don't walk very well, but riding is still fun, and I'll be fit as possible for the day of surgery. I've been doing the pre-op exercises for several weeks now, and will continue with them.

Thanks for the post

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat