+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Worries after 4 years post resurface  (Read 4009 times)

Flash

Worries after 4 years post resurface
« on: September 28, 2011, 08:42:43 PM »
Hi all

Can anyone offer some advice concerning an issue I am having? I am 4 years resurface post op on my right hip. Just recently I have had what feels like a bad cramping in the outside upper thigh region, it is sporadic but I also notice some tingleing in my right foot. I am very concerning that the prostesis is failing, has anyone had this experience? Thank you

Lopsided

Re: Worries after 4 years post resurface
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 10:06:51 PM »
Can anyone offer some advice

Get an x-ray. Get you ion levels checked. If the x-ray show the cup at the right angle and the ion levels are low, then you can stop worrying about your device. Could be one of many things, tendons, nerves.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:28:03 PM »
Hi Flash

Welcome to Hip Talk.  If you are having problems, check with your surgeon.  You should get an x-ray and have a blood test for your metal ion level.  What type of hip resurfacing device did you get?  Who did your surgery?  Some people develop bursitus outside their hips too.  There are many things that can be causing problems besides your hip resurfacing.  Just to be safe, if you keep having problems - do check with your surgeon.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Flash

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 11:58:18 PM »
Hi Pat

I had a Birmingham and Dr. Devon did my surgery, I am an American living in Melbourne Australia where I had my resurface. Thanks for the advice, a question though, what are the symptoms of having a high ion level in ones bloodstream? Thanks again

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 12:53:14 AM »
Flash - I think you have to have pretty high levels in your bloodstream to have a noticeable acute response.  I don't think most folks who have elevated metals in their blood from a MoM hip problem mention much about their general overall symptoms.  It usually presents with pain and discomfort around the hip.  Also I think it would not be very prudent to try to match up whole body symptons with the metals issue, there's just too many variables.  I'd focus on the hip and what's happening there and I'd talk to your surgeon.  Pat has a whole page dedicated to this subject in the metals section below which might help you out.  Hopefully it's just a pull or strain and nothing else.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

John C

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 01:08:37 AM »
Hi Flash,
Two things that I have learned during this adventure of resurfacing:

Worry and concern = not productive or useful.  :-\
X-rays and metal ion tests to eliminate the above in the bright light of knowledge = very productive and useful.  :)

Talk to your doctor, get him to order the above diagnostic tools, and keep moving forward. 
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Flash

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 11:49:59 PM »
Hello

Thanks all for your wonderful advice, I will indeed make an appointment with my surgeon

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
Hi Flash

Most people that have high metal ions have physical problems such as pain, grinding, soreness, swelling, etc.   They seem to know they have problems. 

The best way to tell if you are worried is to have your doctor do a blood test for metal ions.  There are only a few labs doing the testing and it is very specialized, so it is best to go to a surgeon that does a lot of resurfacings that knows where to send the blood.

Hopefully, your problems are a muscle issue or something like bursitus.  Please stay in touch and let us know how things are going.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat