+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Running while waiting for surgery?  (Read 2576 times)

Woodstock Hippy

Running while waiting for surgery?
« on: October 02, 2011, 10:19:35 AM »
I hadn't run for two years because of the arthritis in my hips but after my original doctor told me I'd probably never run again, I started running a couple times a week this summer.  It hurt a lot but I was really starting to improve before the shoulder surgery on 9/13 stopped it for a while.  I did run two days after the surgery but the shoulder hurt like hell so that was that.  Now this week I think I can be ready to start again.  My dentist who's a smart guy and treats a lot of the triathletes in the area told me absolutely not to run because I could cause more damage.  So I come to you and ask; is the damage already done or can I make it worse by running three or four times a week on a dirt trail for about fifty minutes to an hour?
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

David

Re: Running while waiting for surgery?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:11:09 PM »
Hey Jim, it's David, spoke with you last week.
If you have the desire and ability to run, I say go for it.
My opinion is that if you are not in much discomfort, you are not doing detrimental damage.
I was still running in stupid pain until I realized how stupid I was...
Why are you pinning it to 3-4 times a week for 50 minutes?
Why not just go out and walk/jog up to the point of discomfort?
Believe me, you WILL KNOW when you can or should no longer run at all...

Best...
D.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

David

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 06:14:01 PM »
Jim...by the way...find it very funny about asking the dentist for advice...:-)
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:52:29 PM »
I stopped running years ago because of a car wreck.  A little over a year ago I had lost weight and gotten in good shape.  I thought I could run again.  I started out slow but the pain was unreal.  At times my hip/leg would feel like it was going to give out.

Of course all of this was before I was diagnosed with OA.  I had no idea.  So I changed to hiking, biking, and swimming before surgery.

My theory is that you aren't going to do much damage in the short run.  On the other hand there are so many other activities to keep you fit with less pain before surgery.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

jjmclain

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:58:51 AM »
Hi Woodstock,

I am surprised you were allowed to run 2 days after shoulder surgery! I wasn't allowed to run for 4 months in order to let the shoulder heal. As far as your hip goes, it all depends on the pain. You will run again after resurfacing if you listen to your surgeon's advice and let yourself heal. I wish you luck and hope it all turns out for you!

June

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »
No wonder I lost this post.  I posted in the wrong page.  But, no my doctor didn't allow running after two days.  I just thought I'd give it a shot and it didn't work out so well.  When I saw him at nine days to have the stitches removed, he said that I still had to wait another three weeks before any outdoor workouts.  He said I could ride the trainer.  My Kestrel tri bike is semi-permanently mounted on the Computrainer downstairs so I've been on that but the aero position kills the shoulder.  Yesterday I did a twenty mile road ride and my hips are killing me again.  It feels like my bones are sticking out the sides and I have no balance.  This is how I felt all summer until I stopped working three weeks ago.  Mountain biking doesn't hurt the hips as much but right now I'm afraid to fall on the shoulder, and I always fall.  So tomorrow I'm going to run again.  It causes less problems than cycling so I'll see how it goes.  I really don't have that long, seven weeks, until I get these old hips rebuilt.  Then, after a six month PATIENT recovery.......................I"ll Be Back!

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 06:43:17 PM »
After trying to run again I have to face the fact that my hips are falling apart fast.  It's about a month since I stopped working and I did some carpenter work at home today.  Now I can hardly walk.  I'll try to keep moving but I think running and cycling are just getting to be too much. :)

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 10:34:05 PM »
It's about what happened with me before both hip surgeries, they both gave up the ghost with about a month to go.

You're set to go on 11/15, right?   My advice is to keep active while avoiding the heavy stuff; you're looking at a different challenge in recuperating, so maybe turn your focus to that and plan on returning to cycling and running long term. Just think no pain = lotsa gain  ::) Once you get fixed, you can get back to life.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat