+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bicycle, Bicycle!  (Read 2258 times)

Tin Soldier

Bicycle, Bicycle!
« on: October 06, 2011, 12:37:42 PM »
I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike!

Hey dudes and dudettes, I wanted to tell you all that I just rode my bike into work this morning and guess what?

No Pain and no weird motion with the knee going out to the side. :)

It's been about 2 years since I rode a bike.  I was a little freaked out about getting on it, as if I forgot how to ride.  It's like they always say, you never forget how to ride a bike.  I need to get to work, but I was so excited about it I had to tell someone.  My coworkers sort of get it, but don't quite understand.  I just can't believe that a few weeks ago, mechanically I couldn't do that, now the mechanics are there (smooth, no pain, full ROM (for a bike)).  Unbelieveable. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Dannywayoflife

Re: Bicycle, Bicycle!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 12:41:11 PM »
Awesome tin well done mate!!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Aerial

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 01:14:25 PM »
That is great news.  How many weeks post op are you from your second surgery?  Were you riding a road bike or a more upright bike?I am a cyclist who is hoping to return comfortably to cycling!  Now onto the unicycle....... ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:16:23 PM by Aerial »
Right hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 12/5/11!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 04:11:27 PM »
6 weeks post op on the right.  I had a lot of pain and poor ROM in the right when I tried to ride a bike, yet walking wasn't so bad for the right.  The left was painful with any type of activity.  With all the hip issues in the last couple years, I pretty much just stopped riding the bike, too much pain. 

I rode the mountain bike, but I tend to have the handlebars down and a little foward than most.  I used to use the bike for winter commuting with narrow, street tires.  I prefer to "attack" the road.  My road bike is definetely very forward and down in front.   I think I'll graduate to that in the next few weeks before attempting any unicycling. 

Pretty amazing feeling to ride again.  Still getting used to the big, noisy, steel blocks flying by my at high speeds.

Anniee

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 05:19:28 PM »
That is super!  It's amazing how good it feels to be able to do normal things again!
Annie/ Right Uncemented Biomet 4-20-11/Left Uncemented Biomet 10-12-11/Dr. Gross

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 05:21:04 PM »
Tin-

That is great news!  I have yet to get the nerve to jump on a real bike.  My strength is coming back on the stationary though.

I think the idea of one of those big steel objects (talk about major metal ion issues!) hitting me while I am still healing kind of makes me nervous.

Dan

P.S.  Headed to Eugene in a little bit for the UO - Cal football game.
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 05:37:41 PM »
Congratulations on your big step forward!

I'm healing from my shoulder surgery and I've been pretty inactive for a few weeks and feeling pretty good in the hips.  I have a new Colnago bicycle that I hate to see sitting there so I went out for a ride.  Now it all hurts again. 
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

FlbrkMike

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 06:39:29 PM »
Great news Tin!  I got my bike tuned up a few weeks ago and got on it for a few minutes.  I'm planning a longer ride soon.

I can remember the last time I tried to ride (and same with stationary bikes) my feet pointed out and I had a hard time keeping them on the pedals without bruising the knobs on my ankles against the cranks.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 06:41:05 PM by FlbrkMike »
Dr. Ball
56 years old
LBHR 2/11/11
RBHR 3/11/11

Luanna

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 10:36:15 PM »
Excellent news! Again, you push the limits of what I'd do and I'm inspired! Inspired but cautious!!!  ;D

Did you start out on a stationary bike? My PT suggests that I get one but I don't know how to select one. Guess I could join a gym again - but it would be cool to have a bike at home.

Again, congratulations!!!

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Kiwi

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 11:04:07 PM »
Awesome news Tin - great to read!!
LBHR 11/23/2011
56mm Head
Hugh Blackley (BHR Trained with Ronan Treacy)
Use it or lose it!

David

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 06:27:41 AM »
cool...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

larryinvail

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 11:02:37 AM »
Great job!!! I too commute to work (weather permitting) and have BHR scheduled 11/25/11. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 03:09:52 PM »
I started on the PT's recumbent in his office at about 3 weeks post op.  I was amazed then that I could do it without pain. 

I rode 3 miles in to the office today and it felt great, plus while I was "out" the City upgraded the bike path next the river, pretty sweet smooth ride. 

Speaking of the U o O - Cal game, I think someone might be looking at resurfacing his elbow in a decade or so.  OUCH!

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 03:44:32 PM »
Tin-

No kidding on LMJ's elbow.  I would imagine alot of these football players end up with pretty severe OA later in life.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat