+-

Author Topic: Need recommendation for post op stationary bike  (Read 1964 times)

larryinvail

Need recommendation for post op stationary bike
« on: October 07, 2011, 02:50:43 PM »
My BHR is scheduled for 11/25 and I would like a stationary bike for the basement (next to my weights, treadmill and PT equipment - oh and my big screen TV). I have a trainer for my road bike but I don't think that will work for a while. I don't want to spend a lot of money but was curious what other athletes have been using. Upright? Spinning? Recumbent? Thanks, Larry

Lopsided

Re: Need recommendation for post op stationary bike
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 03:24:56 PM »
I would say upright. It is more like you are doing some real work. Also the bike in the gym at the clinic that the physiotherapist got us to use was an upright.

I got one a couple of years before my operation, as I became less mobile. I could get fit doing interval training. So it was useful after the operation, but not for long. If I did not have one, I would not have bought one.

Walking is the main exercise. Walking freely with a long stride is more satisfying, and useful, that sitting on a stationary bike.

Walking, followed by swimming.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

David

Re: Need recommendation for post op stationary bike
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 03:58:15 PM »
Larry...personally I don't think it's necessary to get a stand alone stationary bike if you have a trainer for your own bike.  I was able to get on mine the first week with a two step stool and a little spotting from my wife the first couple of times.
I agree with Lop that in the first 3 weeks walking is much more satisfying to increase your ROM, but I got on my bike every other day nonetheless.

Best...
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

Recent Posts

Re: Travelling for Resurfacing during Covid-19 by Saddlepal3
Yesterday at 08:59:57 PM

Re: Pain on Rising by jimbone
Yesterday at 01:24:59 AM

Re: Travelling for Resurfacing during Covid-19 by BionicHip
Yesterday at 12:00:02 AM

My 8yr Bi-Lat Anniversary by Gino_Tortellini
December 03, 2020, 09:25:02 PM