+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Boxing  (Read 10817 times)

Dannywayoflife

Boxing
« on: October 12, 2011, 12:08:06 PM »
Hi guys this is probably a stupid question but I'm thinking about activitys i can do after my surgeory and wondered is boxing classed as a high impact activity? Obviously it is in the top half of your body but I wouldn't have thought the lower half has any impact go through it. Do any of you guys know for sure what a surgeons view on it is?
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

Re: Boxing
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 04:40:01 PM »
I brought that up to mine, he said it is high impact, not before 6 months went by, answering that my hips would be heavily involved when punching (try a roundhouse punch or an uppercut without using your hips) when I started to whine  :(.

I did go back to boxing, especially bag work earlier, when my body could take it (8 months?) and do pretty heavy duty bag work regularly now. No kicks yet, but those are in the foreseeable future.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 01:04:21 AM »
Hern,
       Thanks mate, that's what I thought wishful thinking on my part! Still gives me something to look forward to! I don't think I'll ever kick again after the op I just think the force of a Thai round kick must not be good for an implant. But if I can box and do my judo and grappling I don't mind.
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 08:04:52 AM »
I boxed at about 3 months, just for fun mind. Just get a reliable partner and make them aware of your limitations.
G

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 11:41:15 AM »
Thanks Garry. I think I'll initially just start off with some shadow working head and foot movement and see how that goes. I'm just trying to think of phys I will be able to do which won't bore me stupid!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

rbt2011

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 07:39:32 PM »
Danny,
I am with you.  I figured it would be a while getting back to MMA training, If I ever really do, and wonder what type of activities to get into. 

I figure that I will take the 1 year no impact restriction and work on Yoga (flexibility), swimming (to get rid of the beer belly), and upper body strength.  In some ways it may be good for us to try something new (I never do yoga, swim, or lift much upper body). 

Who knows?  You'll probably develop such great head movement and footwork that it will make you a better fighter in 1 year and 27 days. 

Take Care brother!
Right side BHR 11/29/2011

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 01:11:09 AM »
Thanks rob! Here's fingers crossed!
One of the few good things to come of this for me is that its opened my eyes to other things more.
Here's to us both getting our lives back rob! :)
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

gary2010

• finsbury adept L 10/7/10, R 15/11/18 Jeremy Latham
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 06:08:40 AM »
I fell on ice at 3 months and no ill effects whatsoever, if it feels ok, it is.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 07:48:36 AM »
Thanks Gaz good to know!
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 10:38:16 AM »
Danny, I don't think you'll be bored, the PT will be challenging and getting that ROM back will get your attention. Just doing everyday things without pain (eventually) will shock the hell out of you.

I actually did something today that shocked me afterwards. It was raining, I had my training bag on my shoulder, holding an umbrella and my lunch bag ( I usually look that cool  8) ), opened my drivers door, then balanced on my left leg (Comet HR) with my right leg stretched into the car (Comet HR) while I lowered myself into the car, then while still balancing, set my lunch down in the passenger seat, swung my bag over to it and sat while holding the umbrella outside the car. All in one smooth motion, no pain and no thinking about it (until later).

Before the procedure / recuperation, I would have thrown the bag in (pain from the throwing), rotated, sat and then leaned back to set the lunch bag down and then turned to deal with the umbrella - all with moderate to severe pain.  The great thing was to do all of this quickly and without pain and not even thinking about it - just swung in and did it. These are the things that keep you from being bored.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 11:02:34 AM »
Hern,
        glad your getting some normality back! I too am really looking forward to being able to do normall things. Theres so many things i struggle with right now like just possitions i carnt get into anymore, i carnt sit down under any control i just have to drop as my rom is really poor.
I have been un able to train in Martial arts or mma or anything for about 14 months now, so i am chomping at the bit to do something! But with that in mind i realise this is a life investment and i wont screw it up by an early return to impact! But im looking for arts relateted thing that i can get back into earlyier so as not to be driven insane with the stationary bike and swimming.
Thanks Danny
21 days to go not that im counting!!!! ;D
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

hernanu

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 11:10:36 AM »
I had real problems with sitting out of control. I normally sat down on the toilet and used whatever was near for support, since my ROM was horrible. I then took a trip to Ecuador (visiting the motherland) with my daughters, and had one hotel that apparently thought it was awesome to have a huge bathroom with the toilet not having any walls or support within an arms length away; it also had no reservoir, just a pipe leading in, so it was basically just the seat. I knew how bombardiers felt, since I had to calculate the drop backwards and brace for the pain of impact, hoping for a direct hit with my bum.

I feel like going back just to use it and mock it afterwards  :P.

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 11:16:16 AM »
I had real problems with sitting out of control. I normally sat down on the toilet and used whatever was near for support, since my ROM was horrible. I then took a trip to Ecuador (visiting the motherland) with my daughters, and had one hotel that apparently thought it was awesome to have a huge bathroom with the toilet not having any walls or support within an arms length away; it also had no reservoir, just a pipe leading in, so it was basically just the seat. I knew how bombardiers felt, since I had to calculate the drop backwards and brace for the pain of impact, hoping for a direct hit with my bum.

I feel like going back just to use it and mock it afterwards  :P.
Thats a classic!! And funny cos i know exactly how you feel!! I really do hope that i get my "normality" back!

If i do get my normality back then theres so many things that i need to do as i have added them to my "bucket list!!! ;D
Train hard fight easy
60mm cup 54mm head
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz