+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Problem with right hip resurface 4 years post op  (Read 4959 times)

Flash

Problem with right hip resurface 4 years post op
« on: October 12, 2011, 08:23:06 PM »
Hi All

This is my second post on this topic. I have had a right hip resurface 4 years ago this month (Oct 2011) in the past 3 or 4 weeks I have experienced what feels like a deep cramp in my upper right buttock/outer right thigh. I am also experiencing some tingling in my right foot. I have recently seen my GP who did some ROM, I had no real pain so she ordered an x-ray and I will be seeing an orthopedic surgeon on the 25th of October. I have no discomfort in bed sleep on my right side. In the past 4 years, despite being a former athlete, I have been careful and just did some light gym work.
What I have seen in this site is people starting to experience problems 3-5 years post op which is of concern. Has anyone experienced my symptoms and what was the outcome? I am praying it's bursitis but then I come back to the reality that something is seriously wrong. Metal ions are ruled out since the discomfort is somewhat specific. What I find odd is as bad as my hip was pre op, I never had any foot tingling or numbness. So again if anyone has had my symptoms I would appreciate some feedback. Thank you

obxpelican

Re: Problem with right hip resurface 4 years post op
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 08:41:56 PM »
By no means am I a doctor, but have you ever had back problems?  Sometimes deferred pain ends up coming from a nerve.  At least that is what your foot issues could be.

Look up the word bursitis, you have some symptoms of that, I wonder if it's a combo.

Do you feel/hear a clunking, clicking or feel a popping sensation?

Hopefully it's what I am guessing, but again I am no doctor so YMMV.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 11:20:54 PM »
What I have seen in this site is people starting to experience problems 3-5 years post op which is of concern.

I don't get that impression. There are some people that report problems, but nothing worrying from three to five years. There are so many muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves that you do not have to assume it is your device.

You can also get an x-ray amd have your metal ion levels checked for your peace of mind. This is your responsibility as a hippy anyway.

So don't assume anything, see your orthopaedist and then report back.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

Flash

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 12:22:27 AM »
Lopsided

Chill out my friend, I am very aware of what tendons, muscles etc are in the body, I am a health professional, I also am well aware of the responsibilities of my personal healthcare needs. My observation of reading many posts is that people who have issues with their resurface, it generally presents within 3-5 years pots op. Feel free to do your own readings and come back

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 12:39:57 AM »
Flash-

I know this is very stressful for you but I think you are the one that needs to chill out.  I didn't read anything in Lop's response that attacked you personally.

Nothing I have read on this site or in any of the many studies and reports seems to indicate that 3 - 5 years is some danger zone.  And most of the issues are with poor placement which causes metallosis.  The symptoms of which are generally different than what you describe.

I think you will find out more in a couple of weeks when you meet with your surgeon.

Best wishes.

Dan
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 04:09:29 AM »
I would tend to agree with Dan, usually if you hit 4 or 5 years you are probably ok.

Within a year or so people will start to present problems with their hips like groin pain, popping pain and symptoms of high metal ions being present from a misplaced device.  Some people will have issues within 6 months or sooner if the doctor really botched the surgery badly.

Also, Lop was not being disrespectful or attacking you just trying to help you.  This is not a forum where we have a lot of drama neither is it allowed.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

lori.36

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 08:37:13 AM »
Flash, I am 6 months out And starting to have this also.  I know that I have a back issue and I think the pain is from that.  I am going to call my Chrio for an adjustment. 
Thanks for bringing up the topic.
L-BHR 5-11-2011 Dr Rector
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Tin Soldier

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 12:35:39 AM »
I've seen a few threads here on bursitis, with similar symptons, several years post-op.  You might search this forum for some of those threads if you haven't already.  I'm obviously too "young" with my new hips to know much about the 3 to 4 year timeframe.  Only from what I've read. 

How was metallosis ruled out? 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

lori.36

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 11:40:10 AM »
Flash, I called my surgeon about the tingleys in operated leg, foot and leg and they are agreeing with me that they think that this is a back issue and that this is referred pain in my situation.  I went for a bike ride pulling my daughter and think I pulled my lower back out, so the PA recommended that I see my Chrio first and if the issue does not resolve itself in a week to call them back. (no Punn intended) 
How long have you been exeperiencing this issue?  I have read that this is saitic nerve pain on google.  Please keep us updated, because we are all learning.
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

lori.36

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 03:14:02 PM »
Just got back from the Chrio and the tingleys are gone!
It is my  L5, time to strength. The core.
R-HR 9-11-2015 Dr Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM