+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: hip resurfacing gone bad  (Read 8635 times)

tdrew

hip resurfacing gone bad
« on: October 12, 2011, 09:39:47 PM »
I had hip resurfacing on July 27th.  I came out of it a cripple wiith drop foot.  I cannot lift my toes or foot.  I felt intense pain when I got my spinal block epidural and felt an intense dull very excruciating pain in my back and down my leg into my foot when it was administered.  The foot drop has not gotten any better and it is now 3 months after the surgery.  I believe the damage was done to a root nerve during the epidural, and not the surgery.  Has anyone had this experience?  Shouldn't there be precautions taken during this epidural to make sure you do not hit a root nerve and minimize damage?  This is very frustrating and a life changing situation.  I now have to wear a brace and compression stockings to keep the swelling down because the muscles don't work.  In addition, there is alot of pain in the foot, especially at the end of the day.  I am stuck on taking Oxycodone just to get to sleep at night.  I was told by the anestheologist that I would not feel any pain and that he would deaden the spot first.  I felt excruciating pain until he did something that stopped it.  I am not a happy camper and feel that this all could have been prevented.  I was goaded to have this procedure done, and I was just wondering if an injury of this sort is possible and if anyone else out ther had the same experience. 
Thanks,
Terry

Luanna

Re: hip resurfacing gone bad
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 09:47:19 PM »
That sounds awful! Who was your surgeon? Do you have some kind of recourse to get the nerve fixed? What are your options?
I'm so sorry to hear that you had this happen to you.

Luanna
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

Lopsided

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 11:01:31 PM »
Terry, I am sorry to read your experience. This is not what you should expect from resurfacing. Definitely push, if you have the strength, for redress from the surgeon.

I was goaded to have this procedure done,

Who by?

Who was your surgeon (again), was he on the list from this site? What approach did he use, and what device?

D.

Proud To Be Dr. De Smet's First Uncemented Conserve Plus, Left, August 2010

ScubaDuck

• Adventures in Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 12:21:40 AM »
That is not to be expected for sure.  I had my surgery several days after yours and I am doing great.  You should be too.

How is the hip?  Maybe it is hard to tell because rehabilitation would be hard to accomplish with the loss of muscle control.  It sounds like your anesthesiologist was the problem.  I don't know if those are assigned by the hospital or the surgeon.  In either case there should be some responsibility taken be both of them to get this fixed.

Best wishes.

Dan

P.S.  Who goaded you to have this procedure done? 
LHRA, Birmingham, Dr. Pritchett, 8/1/2011
RHRA, EndoTec, Dr. Pritchett, 12/6/2022
fullmetalhip.wordpress.com

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 06:48:30 AM »
Really sorry to hear that Terry! some other people here had dropped foot and eventually improved, I assume you've talked to a neurologist about it?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

cwg

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 04:05:32 PM »
Hmmm, very interesting. What is "foot drop", actually? I have had nothing but problems since minutes of coming awake from the BHR. And am still trying to piece it together. Four and a half years later..

Am wondering if foot drop is what I had (and is 50% better now with compensation from other muscles).

This site is great because so many people offer their experiences and suggestions.

Sorry your experience sucks too. Wishing you a quick and acceptable solution.

*Oh and yes to D, it's very hard to sort out what the hip is doing post op when there are  so many other new complications
cwg

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 05:12:35 PM »
Foot drop, as I hear is the drop of the foot during walking due to weakness or injury so that the muscles which would normally raise the foot appropriately are not able to.

This causes the toes to drag where they normally would not, which is then compensated for by an exagerated walk to raise the toes high enough to clear. There are other compensatory movements also.

In our case, it might be tied to damage of the sciatic nerve during surgery, since the nerve that controls foot movement extends from the sciatic nerve at the knee (please correct if I'm wrong on any of this). There are other ways for this to happen (spinal injury, more rarely muscle disease, etc.). Apparently it is possible to recover some or all mobility, but I'm not sure what the percentages are.

Here's a reference, I'm sure Pat also has other references and if you do a search of the site, you'll probably find it discussed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_drop

manyworries

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 03:25:57 PM »
So sorry to hear about your problems!!  It sounds as tho the anesthesiologist created your problem!  Do you mind if I ask who did your surgery?  Going on my initial consult in a couple of weeks.  Is there any specific question I should ask re the anesthesiologist that you or anyone can think of??  Thanks tons in advance!!

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 02:57:03 PM »
So sorry to hear about your problems!!  It sounds as tho the anesthesiologist created your problem!  Do you mind if I ask who did your surgery?  Going on my initial consult in a couple of weeks.  Is there any specific question I should ask re the anesthesiologist that you or anyone can think of??  Thanks tons in advance!!

Hi and welcome to the site. I just saw this, so sorry about not answering it earlier.

There is a list of printable questions to ask your doctor - it's not targeted at the anesthesiologist, but more general purpose about resurfacing.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/questionsfordoctor.php

What I asked the anesthesiologist was:

• What kind of anesthesia will be used
  • Will I be conscious at any point during the procedure
  • What can I expect for anesthesia before the procedure
  • How many resurfacings have you done the anesthesia for.
  • How many procedures do you do with this doctor.
  • How long have you been practicing.
  • Will you be doing the anesthesia (don't want them to switch if you're comfortable with him or her)
  • How long will it take for me to come back to full consciousness

Hope that helps, good luck.

aries

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 02:21:07 AM »
I am 2 weeks tomorrow post BHR and I have posted in another part of the forum. I too have foot drop and immense neural pain in my shin and foot- so much that if my kids touch my foot I scream and I try not to wear shoes!

I was sedated and missed the epidural so I don't know where my nerve damage has come from. The surgeon says he was nowhere near it in the surgery and my epidural site is above L5 from where the sciatic nerve comes from. I am awaiting nerve conduction studies to ascertain where the damage is and what the prognosis is.

I understand the frustration. I feel I have swapped permanent hip pain for nerve pain and I am told it could be permanent though many seem to believe it will come right (but few on the internet claim to have come right - I am hoping that is all the negative stories!).

I just want to be rid of the pain and to regain my independence and be able to drive. I have to say that my hip is fantastic and if I didn't have this complication, I would be over the moon about how my hip is feeling!

Luanna

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 11:19:44 AM »
Hi aries,
I'm sorry that you are having to go through this. It sounds like you are very early in your recovery but to have that much nerve pain seems very extreme.

My physical therapist is also an expert in nerve mobilization therapy and at every session she works on various nerves to get them mobilized and unstuck. I can't explain it medically but unstuck and moving is how I'd describe it. At first I thought that it was a bunch of 'hula hula' but it works. She works on my sciatic nerve frequently and it is located in areas that were impacted by the surgery - or results of surgery - tight muscles and tendons.

I don't know if you have a physical therapist in your area who also practices manual techniques working with fascia and nerves but I walk out of each session totally pain free - until I overdo and need another session.

Please let us know what you learn about your situation. Hope it starts to resolve on its own soon.

Luanna
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:21:09 AM by Luanna »
RHR 8/30/2011 - Dr. Pritchett - Stryker Trident Shell /X3 Poly liner acetabular cup. BHR head.

aries

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 10:44:36 PM »
Hi Luana

Thanks for your message. Yes, I went to my osteo/physio today and he was amazing. He is just seeking permission from my surgeon to give me a nerve stimulator machine and we have been doing exercises to help the nerve 'remember' its job. He was really positive and so I am feeling that way too!!

Rachel

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »
That's great Rachel, sounds like you're doing the right things, hope the nerve stimulator works and your nerve remembers.

Luanna

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 02:04:05 PM »
Hi Rachel,
Glad to hear that you have solutions to start trying. With me it's up and down - one day is great and the next day not so great! But over time and now at 11 weeks I'm having mostly all good days with very little muscle, nerve, or other discomfort.

Hope all goes well for you now.

Luanna

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear